Lt. Commander
# 1 Conundrum...
03-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Greetings, friends. I'm facing a bit of a conundrum here. Currently, my computer can run STO well at a low graphics setting. I would love to run it at a higher setting, at least to get the high quality lighting, so I'm thinking about buying more RAM for my computer. I currently have two gigs of RAM, and I'm hoping that by upping it to 4, I can get some better performance out of my computer.

THIS is my conundrum. This month, a video game that I have been anticipating for the better part of a year comes out: Red Steel 2. All the previews seem to say that it is going to be a great game. Unfortunately, someone (my wife) won't let me buy both at the same time. I have to space out my video game purchases.

So...should I buy RAM first and put Red Steel 2 on the back-burner for a while? Would an extra 2 gigs of RAM even help with increased graphical performance? What are the opinions of the esteemed Ten-Forward community?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Extra RAM will only go so far and although it will improve performance, it wont necessarilly improve graphics performance. The other big factor here is your graphics card, and your processor.

The other thing to note is that if you're using a 32-bit operating system like Windows Vista, you wont be able to use all 4Gb of RAM as it can only use something like 3.5Gb. 64-bit systems are able to use much more RAM. Most people's machines will come with the standard 32-bit OS.

The only other thing I would add is for me I think it's better to have a choice of two games, played at lower specs, than 1 game played at higher specs. Choice is always a good thing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2010, 11:06 AM
I would go for the cowboy+sword action in Red Steel 2 myself. That looks like fun for the whole family.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Cygnus is spot on, if you already have 2GB of Ram and only a 32bit system I wouldn't spend the money on the extra to be fair as your limited to around 3GB. On the other hand if you have got a 64bit system then it can't hurt as long as theres enough slots on the MOBO.
Also memory will help but only really improve loading times of textures etc not really the graphics directly for that you have to look at your GPU.

Remember your computer is only as fast as the slowest component.