Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
From my experience Boarding party is a limited power that is difficult to get results from.

Boarding Party launches 3 shuttles at the target. These shuttles are weak and can be shot down easily. These shuttles are also slow necessitating "over-run" tactics to have any chance of getting them to work. If the shuttles make contact with an enemy they take 20 to 30 seconds to disable one subsystem and then beam back to your ship, unfortunately in a lot of cases, an enemy ship is almost destroyed or is destroyed before your soldiers can return.

I propose the following in place of the current system:

New Ability 1) Boarding Party: Assault Shuttles (I, II, and III)

Description: You send a shuttle with 10 marines in full environmental suits over to the enemy ship to do as much damage as possible by killing crew, damaging systems, and decompressing hull sections. Once their mission is complete they will assume a defensive position and await beam back.

Function: Each level of Boarding Party: Assault Shuttles launches 1 assault shuttle using up 10 crew (Level II launches 2 shuttles and uses 20 crew, Level III launches 3 shuttles and uses 30 crew). The shuttles will get next to a target ship (inside the shields) and will transport aboard to start their mission. Each teams mission lasts 60 seconds. Every 3 seconds an assault team will damage 1% of the targets hull directly (for a total of 20% over the full 60 seconds). After 30 seconds each team will have a 50% chance of disabling one random subsystem for 2-8 seconds. They get a second 50% chance at the end of their mission (60 seconds). After 60 seconds their mission will be complete. If the target ships hull reaches 10% or less of its max the team(s) will abort their mission.

Once the mission is complete or aborted each team will rally in a defensive position for beam back. When the player's ship is within 5k of the target the Assault teams will drop the shield (if there is one) facing the players ship for 3 seconds. In addition, the player's own shield facing the target will also drop for 3 seconds as the (surviving) marines transport back aboard.

If the player ship does not come within 5k the teams will slowly lose members till all the members are killed (60 seconds after mission completion). If the target ship is destroyed before the teams beam back they will be lost.

Assault Shuttle speed needs to be increased by 20-50% to better reach the target.

Assault teams will generally lose a man (per team) every 15 seconds.

Counter: Tactical Teams can counter Assault teams on board:

Tac Team Type *Kill Assault Team I* *Kill Assault Team II* *Kill Assault Team III*
Tactical Team I - 100% Chance 50% Chance 25% Chance
Tactical Team II - 100% Chance 100% Chance 50% Chance
Tactical Team III - 100% Chance 100% Chance 100% Chance

Boarding Party: Assault Shuttles has a base 4 minute cool down.

New Ability 2) Boarding Party: Hit & Run Team (I, II, and III)

Description: You transport a 5 man team made up of 4 security and a demolition expert to the enemy ship to disable a subsystem. The team will set the charges and run to a defensible area for beam back.

Function: Each level of Boarding Party: Hit & Run Team transports 5 crew (Level II transports 10 crew, Level III transports 15 crew) over to the target ship. A team will place a demo charge on a random subsystem and run to a defensible area for beam back. The demo charge will detonate and disable a system 10 seconds from beam over. The system will be disabled from 2-12 seconds. Hit & Run Team II will disable 2 subsystems, and III will disable 3 subsystems (each debuff duration is randomly rolled).

Note:You can not transport through shields. To send over a Hit & Run Team the target's shield facing the player's ship must be down. In addition, when sending over a Hit & Run Team the player's shield facing the target will go down for 3 seconds.

Once the mission is complete each team will rally in a defensive position for beam back. When the player's ship is within 5k of the target the Hit & Run Teams will drop the shield (if there is one) facing the players ship for 3 seconds. In addition, the player's own shield facing the target will also drop for 3 seconds as the (surviving) marines transport back aboard.

If the player ship does not come within 5k the teams will slowly lose members till all the members are killed (20 seconds after mission completion). If the target ship is destroyed before the teams beam back they will be lost.

Hit & Run Teams will generally lose a man (per team) every 8-10 seconds.

Counter: Tactical Teams can counter Hit & Run teams on board:

Tac Team Type *Kill H&R Team I* *Kill H&R Team II* *Kill H&R Team III*
Tactical Team I - 100% Chance 50% Chance 25% Chance
Tactical Team II - 100% Chance 100% Chance 50% Chance
Tactical Team III - 100% Chance 100% Chance 100% Chance

Boarding Party: Hit & Run Team has a base 2 minute cool down.

A nice glowy beam going from player ship to target will be needed to show when transporting is happening.

Thank you for your time.

Edit - Typos, formatting.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-16-2010, 01:13 AM
*Necro* These sound great and I'd love to see them implimented a boarding-loadout would be a lot of fun.