Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
(I consider this to be more of a "Klingon Gameplay" post than a "PvP" post.)

I was getting seriously bored of ground PvP just because we ALWAYS, ALWAYS massacred the Feds. It was a very rare Fed team that would get more than 10 kills. 40-3 was not uncommon. There are numerous reasons for this but that's another story.

Today we decided to get together a team and just go all batl'leth. We also carried stun pistols to help with runners but rarely needed it.

We still won every match by a landslide but it was a whole lot more fun and interesting.

My advice:
  • Bat'leth
  • Stun pistol
  • That shield that procs an AE knockback when you get hit
  • Regular energy dampening armor

The shield proc helps keep your target down while you beat on him. There is a +melee strength armor but it sucks -- you get a minuscule boost to damage for a high cost in resists. You could use the melee resist armor (PolyAlloy Weave or whatever it's called) but the Feds will be shooting you still so best just keep the Energy Dampening armor.

If you're tactical, I suggest using the Squad Leader kit for this, since it has no abilities that require a gun and if someone drops a big engineering parade inside a dome shield, you can throw a smoke grenade in there and laugh at them.

Incidentally, when facing dome shields, I advise running into it and doing the bat'leth middle attack. It'll knock anyone inside the shield to the edge, where you can beat on them.

Also, read this guide:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=97085

Print it out and use the bat'leth combos.

We got accused to exploiting an "overpowered" game element, but I assure that you my team would use guns to totally decimate any bat'leth team. Bat'leths are actually quite underpowered. But they're more fun and Feds are so bad at ground combat that you can beat them anyway. If they keep losing we're going to have to switch to hand-to-hand.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2010, 10:16 PM
That sounds like awesome fun. I had a lot of fun in T1 with the bat'leth but dropped in it T2 due to the poor performance.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2010, 10:44 PM
I fought some feds that our pugs beat quite convincing as 3 vs 5 feds. They were whing that klingons get better weapons easier..... at BG/RA5 level? Strange bunch,

Also funny was tanking 5 feds when i was the only one in the game at the time for about 4 minutes with my medic heals as none of them seems to have a clue how to expose.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2010, 11:27 PM
"massacring"

stop the spread of AIDS among the english language
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2010, 10:08 AM
An entire team doing nothing but phaser stuns and melee hold spam... glad I haven't run into you yet
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manx View Post
An entire team doing nothing but phaser stuns and melee hold spam... glad I haven't run into you yet
It's actually far less effective than our normal game, which is nothing but split beam rifles and expose attacks (including science AE holds).

Now at least the melee fights takes a while to resolve because we're mostly hitting people for like 20-40 damage. Even a melee exploit attack typically only hits for 300 or so. The hard part is sticking to a target until they die. If they're squirrelly, backpedal a lot, use their own roots, snares and holds and apply doses of rifle melee to keep us off, it can be really hard to kill them with bat'leths.

Luckily nobody ever does that. Feds are pure "derp" in ground PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
It's actually far less effective than our normal game, which is nothing but split beam rifles and expose attacks (including science AE holds).

Now at least the melee fights takes a while to resolve because we're mostly hitting people for like 20-40 damage. Even a melee exploit attack typically only hits for 300 or so. The hard part is sticking to a target until they die. If they're squirrelly, backpedal a lot, use their own roots, snares and holds and apply doses of rifle melee to keep us off, it can be really hard to kill them with bat'leths.

Luckily nobody ever does that. Feds are pure "derp" in ground PvP.
I'm sure it can be; if the hold ever breaks. Quite often it doesn't.

Still, I can't argue with the fact that most Feds don't seem to know what they are doing in ground PvP. I mean, I'm not the best player you'll ever see; but I know to regroup if I get cut off from the others by respawns. Half the Feds I find myself playing with don't even appear to know to stick together.

Hey, speaking of holds, maybe you and your team of sword masters could challenge the Devs to a friendly little match? Might do the game a world of good lol :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I would love to fight the devs.

In fact, we might need them to join the test server or there won't be anyone to test the PvP stuff against. :-p

(After we completely crush them we would be happy to tell them how it happened, and put them under heat lamps and ask them pointed questions about whose idea it was to put a 6 second stun built into the Expose mechanic.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
I(After we completely crush them we would be happy to tell them how it happened, and put them under heat lamps and ask them pointed questions about whose idea it was to put a 6 second stun built into the Expose mechanic.)
This...........
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Ground PvP is pretty much saving the game for me...I really like it. And I usually hate any sort of PvP.

The sad thing is, Feds could do well at ground PvP if they built for it. We get so many Skill Points slapping a few in a ground skill wouldn't hurt. Everyone builds for space combat though..not ground.

I read through your guide..switched to a split beam rifles and a Bat'leh and haven't looked back. (on both my Klingon and my Fed). I wish more players Federation side would read your guide...it's pretty much a blueprint on how to do well in Ground PvP.

I'd love to have a team of Bat'leh wielding Science Officers take on a band of Klingons....that might be challenging..