Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
I'd be in support of increasing travel times if those times could be spent chilling out on our ships.

I like the idea of space being big, and travel from Earth to Deep Space Nine not being a two minute trek.
I also agree with this. Let us travel in our bridges, and increase the travel times.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
03-08-2010, 05:05 PM
I like it all.

Spread out sector space. Navigate from your bridge. Occasionally being stopped by some pesky ship that breeched the neutral zone that you have to run off rather than the horde of spawn camping DSE's.

As for canon/licensing/whathaveye worked great for the old TNG console game. Putter around random systems on patrol lookin for those pesky rommies and skeer em out of my sector. Or tell em where to stick it and blast em.

But I digress, I like the ideas I've read thus far.

+1
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
03-08-2010, 05:06 PM
In regards to flying around from your Bridge,

You guys do remember that this came up in Open Beta quite a bit, and perhaps in Closed as well?

I think it comes down to the way their engine works. If I remember right the limitations that they are facing are too great.

But DEV's have already responded to flying from your bridge. Wish I could find at least one response.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
03-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enoyedtheshows
In regards to flying around from your Bridge,

You guys do remember that this came up in Open Beta quite a bit, and perhaps in Closed as well?

I think it comes down to the way their engine works. If I remember right the limitations that they are facing are too great.

But DEV's have already responded to flying from your bridge. Wish I could find at least one response.
Im not a dev. But seriously, how hard can that be. It has to be easier all around.

I mean.....all it takes is your little icon traveling on a map and then you're there. Bridges are already instanced. Maps are already there.

What it amounts too is them throwing out sector space which they've spent hundreds of hours programing. Needlessly. They could have implemented flying around on your bridge SO much easier. And it would have saved a LOT of time.

They might be able to have some sort of 3d representation using the sector space map if they wanted so that all the programming isnt wasted, but even thats not really needed. All you really need is your map, and your bridge. Which is already there.

Doing this would save them hundreds of hours on future expansions and added content zones though. What if they didnt have to program in sector space? Imagine how much time that would save. And it would look better, feel more authentic, and even add a LOT of functionality to the bridge right there by itself.

They should have done this in the first place.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
I am liking these ideas. The Bridge really shoud be used for something important, not to just pop in and chat with someone. Sector space is really awkward and doesn't feel Trek like at all. Hell, have a navigator station that pops up a mini version of sector space for those who actually do like it. But I would rather just give my helmsman an order to "go to the XYZ system, warp factor 2" or some such. THAT is VERY Trek like! Then you can receive hails from either Star Fleet Command, distress signals, passing merchants, enemy contacts or alien races, and you have to act on them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
03-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Rook View Post
I am liking these ideas. The Bridge really shoud be used for something important, not to just pop in and chat with someone. Sector space is really awkward and doesn't feel Trek like at all. Hell, have a navigator station that pops up a mini version of sector space for those who actually do like it. But I would rather just give my helmsman an order to "go to the XYZ system, warp factor 2" or some such. THAT is VERY Trek like! Then you can receive hails from either Star Fleet Command, distress signals, passing merchants, enemy contacts or alien races, and you have to act on them.
Like I said I think its going to be a hard sell for them. It means throwing out hundreds of hours of programming. But then again, it probably shouldnt have been there in the first place.

And it makes the future of STO as far as programming goes, THAT much easier. Throw sector space out, and additional content could hypothetically come a bit faster. At least programming in new maps and such.

When all you really have to program is a little area map (which we already have), it makes it easy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
03-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
Sector Space should be seamless and ten times larger (then speed up ships to keep travel time the same). This would make the galaxy actually feel large.
But Sector Space isn't a view of your ship in real space. "Sector Space" is supposed to be an advanced astrometrics, or stellar cartography, display of the sector you're in.

Examples of the evolution:

http://www.st-minutiae.com/graphics/...psilon_map.jpg

http://www.arksark.org/blog/wp-conte...artography.jpg

http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/gl...l/61/61488.jpg

The problem is the game does a poor job of explaining this. It's only mentioned in the online manual and not anywhere within the game. This information should probably should pop up in one of those tips upon entering sector space, because most people don't look at sector space as astrometrics and are subsequently disappointed.

My first impression upon seeing it was "Star Trek : Miniature Golf Park". Once I found out what Sector Space actually represented it made much more sense. However, I would still prefer something else, like showing a warp display on the viewscreen while giving us some time to roam around the ship's interiors conducting productive tasks (like a mini-game during travel, which maybe result in you acquiring certain performance buffs once you reach your objective).

I do agree with others that this was their best opportunity to let us command the ship from the bridge interior (for a change). The only thing that would really be needed is a proximity alert for when enemy contacts come within range so you can toggle out to the normal ship/astrometrics view.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
But Sector Space isn't a view of your ship in real space. "Sector Space" is supposed to be an advanced astrometrics, or stellar cartography, display of the sector you're in.

Examples of the evolution:

http://www.st-minutiae.com/graphics/...psilon_map.jpg

http://www.arksark.org/blog/wp-conte...artography.jpg

http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/gl...l/61/61488.jpg

The problem is the game does a poor job of explaining this. It's only mentioned in the online manual and not anywhere within the game. This information should probably should pop up in one of those tips upon entering sector space, because most people don't look at sector space as astrometrics and are subsequently disappointed.

My first impression upon seeing it was "Star Trek : Miniature Golf Park". Once I found out what Sector Space actually represented it made much more sense. However, I would still prefer something else, like showing a warp display on the viewscreen while giving us some time to roam around the ship's interiors conducting productive tasks (like a mini-game during travel, which maybe result in you acquiring certain performance buffs once you reach your objective).

I do agree with others that this was their best opportunity to let us command the ship from the bridge interior (for a change). The only thing that would really be needed is a proximity alert for when enemy contacts come within range so you can toggle out to the normal ship/astrometrics view.
Oh no Ive always understood what it was. I just never liked it. Traveling on the bridge would be SO much better in so many ways. Easier to program (by leaps and bounds), more realistic, more immersive, more fun.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
03-08-2010, 06:10 PM
#1 would love travelling sector space on the bridge
#2 enemy contacts should always hail you and ask. Some currently do and I appreciate that, others just force you in then you frequently get spawn camped by the fracking NPCs and destroyed while your cursor is still making its way over to the "exit" link. (part of why I play Science and not Escort these days)

distant #3 increase the number of people allowed in a sector instance before spawning the next instance to make it easier to meet up with friends
distant #4 in sol there should be a transwarp conduit to each sector, and that conduit should work both ways - the transwarp network exists so we might as well make use of it
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
03-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeleca
#1 would love travelling sector space on the bridge
#2 enemy contacts should always hail you and ask. Some currently do and I appreciate that, others just force you in then you frequently get spawn camped by the fracking NPCs and destroyed while your cursor is still making its way over to the "exit" link. (part of why I play Science and not Escort these days)

distant #3 increase the number of people allowed in a sector instance before spawning the next instance to make it easier to meet up with friends
distant #4 in sol there should be a transwarp conduit to each sector, and that conduit should work both ways - the transwarp network exists so we might as well make use of it
Thats just it. Im trying to figure out if we are flying in our bridge why we even NEED sector space to exist. At all.

Think about it. Why?

Sector Space. Huh! What is it good for? Absolutely noooothin!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:15 PM.