Lt. Commander
# 31
03-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderReed
Traveling on the bridge would be SO much better in so many ways. Easier to program (by leaps and bounds), more realistic, more immersive, more fun.
While I agree it could potentially be more fun, every time you use the words "bridge travel" and "easier" in the same sentence I picture a programmer at Cryptic letting out the mother of all sighs. I think the best implementation we'd ever see of this is a generic warp travel image playing on the bridge screen that doesn't represent the space you're moving through at all.

All the tools and library art for sector space are already in place and ready for use. Creating new sector space maps probably takes very little time/effort as a result. The map is probably the least of their worries when making new sectors for us to play in. I really don't think this is a case where we'd want to play the "but it'd be so much easier if.." card. So much cooler, sure; that one is valid (although still just an opinion).
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderReed
Thats just it. Im trying to figure out if we are flying in our bridge why we even NEED sector space to exist. At all.

Think about it. Why?

Sector Space. Huh! What is it good for? Absolutely noooothin!
It's my predefined break between space missions where I get up and stretch. I don't need it for ground missions though, I just send my team up ahead and return from watching TV when I stop hearing the phasers fire.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
Sector Space should be seamless and ten times larger (then speed up ships to keep travel time the same). This would make the galaxy actually feel large.
The Andorian is absolutely correct. A game based on exploration should never be limited to instancing of any kind that boxes up the gameplay. Having to warp between these spaces fractures just puts a needless limitation on you.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Sector space from the bridge, although I fear it would just add another load screen onto everything else. Beam to ship, transfer to bridge, transfer to warp screen, transfer to space.
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
While I agree it could potentially be more fun, every time you use the words "bridge travel" and "easier" in the same sentence I picture a programmer at Cryptic letting out the mother of all sighs. I think the best implementation we'd ever see of this is a generic warp travel image playing on the bridge screen that doesn't represent the space you're moving through at all.

All the tools and library art for sector space are already in place and ready for use. Creating new sector space maps probably takes very little time/effort as a result. The map is probably the least of their worries when making new sectors for us to play in. I really don't think this is a case where we'd want to play the "but it'd be so much easier if.." card. So much cooler, sure; that one is valid (although still just an opinion).
Well you already have a sector map, and galaxy map. THAT would tell you where you are, where you are going, and how fast you are getting there (with a bit of tweaking).

And I have no DOUBT the developers might sigh out loud reading this. But programming in sector space as a 3d zone isnt needed. It was never needed. Heck, Im not even sure if its wanted.

And thats the point. Yes, on the view screen you might not see more than just star lines rushing by. But it IS easier to program that way. When you get there, the planet shows up on the view screen and you zone into the instance.

Sector Space is more dynamic. Its more player interactive. Yet its not really fun. Its not really interesting. And in my opinion its not really needed.

So in that regard future development would move a LOT quicker or at least moderately so if they just threw it out. They'd have to redo the whole way exploration works however. And that would be a chore.

When I said it would be easier I meant long term. And if they had just made the game that way from the start, yes, it would have been A LOT easier. Not having to program in a large 3d chunk of space would have really taken some time off of development, freeing up time for other more needed aspects.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
Sector space should be thrown out entirely.

Travel between systems and sectors should all be done from the bridge.

You beam to your bridge, set your destination, and "Engage!" The viewscreen shows a starfield moving at warp, and you are now free to move about the ship. Travel time remains the same.
this......
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-08-2010, 08:05 PM
The problem with the stellar cartography thing is that people are missing a key point: ships are commanded from the BRIDGE not stellar cartography! Sector Space IS a decent representation of Astrometrics/Stellar cartography, this is not in question. However what people are missing is that those are science labs on board their respective ships, navigation is not done there. Thats what the bridge is for. Sector space never had any business being in game as a form of travel.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
Sector Space should be seamless and ten times larger (then speed up ships to keep travel time the same). This would make the galaxy actually feel large.
Yeah what she said. The scale of the solar systems is all wrong compared to the ships, too.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderTheRobot
Yeah what she said. The scale of the solar systems is all wrong compared to the ships, too.
Im actually surprised I havent seen a SINGLE person defend sector space or say they would like it over the suggested redesign involving bridge travel.

I hope Cryptic is paying attention here. It would be EXTREMELY nice to see this change.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderTheRobot
The scale is fine because what you're actually seeing in sector space is a fancy futuristic view of this: http://www.st-minutiae.com/graphics/...psilon_map.jpg

It isn't you actually piloting your ship through real space.