Lt. Commander
# 41
03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderReed
Im actually surprised I havent seen a SINGLE person defend sector space or say they would like it over the suggested redesign involving bridge travel.

I hope Cryptic is paying attention here. It would be EXTREMELY nice to see this change.
I would be ok with sector space if it had any depth. Like, if you flew to a solar system, entered it, and would then be presented with a second layer, showing the layout of the solar system, with the ability to then navigate to various planets and moons within said solar system. Similar to how it worked in Star Control.

However, sector space is so lame and shallow in its current incarnation, anything is better. Including just chillin' on the bridge while your ship does its thing.
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Remove the grid, and all the lines, make the planets look like planets and not astrolabe models. Make it so you warp to the next sector when you run into the "walls", and remove the silly flight controllers from those parts.
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
I would be ok with sector space if it had any depth. Like, if you flew to a solar system, entered it, and would then be presented with a second layer, showing the layout of the solar system, with the ability to then navigate to various planets and moons within said solar system. Similar to how it worked in Star Control.

However, sector space is so lame and shallow in its current incarnation, anything is better. Including just chillin' on the bridge while your ship does its thing.
Yea I think the bridge idea presented by ProfessorSTAFF is probably the easiest way to change the set up.

Give the bridge functionality. Gives realism, and immersion. And it simplifies travel for the players and the devs since bridges are already in the game, and so are sector and galaxy maps.

Seems like the easiest way to go about changing something that probably needs to be changed.
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-09-2010, 05:33 AM
We need to be able to sit in the captains chair and drink earl grey tea!
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Well, I've been thinking the same thing since i started playing. I wish we could travel from system to system, while on our bridge. I wold love to sit on my bridge while i'm in transit, working on stuff, such as , allocating skill points, fixing my inventory, etc.

Love the idea of getting certain consoles that you could use to check mail, buy stuff at the exchange, all while you are on your ship.

While Sector Space is boxed in- i like seeing other people in their ships zipping around. I don't want to lose that ablility when I'm on my bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-09-2010, 11:09 AM
IMHO, they should keep sector space but do two things.

- Use sector space as it stands in your stellar cartography room but replace the ship with you and your science officer(s) at the SC platform, ala generations. Keep the grid and the lollipops here. Maybe come up with enhanced reasons to visit stellar cartography. (Ie. maybe you have to use SC in exploration sectors to find anomalies).

- Use sector space, minus the grid and lollipops, from the bridge of your starship. This would entail three things as I envision it:

1) Make viewscreens larger, scale be damned. I can accept that bridges have to be larger for certain reasons in game, one reason being that they want bridge interiors to work as large scale raid maps. However, that doesn't justify just scaling everything up except the furniture. Shrink the doors. Cluster the furniture more. INCREASE VIEWSCREEN SIZES, regardless of scale considerations until they take up the whole front wall of your bridge. This eliminates dead space and makes the screen big enough to show functional information.

2) Make sitting in the captain's chair a "click" command. While in the captain's chair, you can tell the helm to lay in a course. Stars streaking displays on the console.

3) Make sitting at the helm a "click" command that dismisses the personnel working there and allows you to pilot the ship.
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
Sector space should be thrown out entirely.

Travel between systems and sectors should all be done from the bridge.

You beam to your bridge, set your destination, and "Engage!" The viewscreen shows a starfield moving at warp, and you are now free to move about the ship. Travel time remains the same.
I concur. (this text here is just to meet the 10 character minimum).
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
Sector space should be thrown out entirely.

Travel between systems and sectors should all be done from the bridge.

You beam to your bridge, set your destination, and "Engage!" The viewscreen shows a starfield moving at warp, and you are now free to move about the ship. Travel time remains the same.
THIS!! Do want.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Sector Space doesn't have to be removed from the game... just moved to the Astrometrics room aboard your ship. You want to do DSE's you walk youself through your ship to Astrometrics and select the encoutner from there, whether it be PvP, PvE or even PvPvE.

Normal, sector navigation should be from the bridge. Trips should take much longer to get from system to system but to make this faster major sectors should have a Transwarp Conduit. They appear in a few places already and the network has been mentioned so it does exist... somewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
I actually like sector space. It simulates going to warp fairly well imho. It can take weeks, months to fly between space sectors in the ST universe. At the most....and that a big most, it only takes a couple mins to transverse even the largest sectors. The fact that in the movies you see 'nothing' but a blue and red shift and the little dots outside the window give a sense of movement. I am glad 'warp' (ie...sector space) is a little better than that.

It reminds me of a Astrometric 3d representation of space....rem when Pacard and Data where in the Astrometrics lab....

Just as in everything, some will like, some will not. It has been a basic game mechanic from the begening, let it be.