Lt. Commander
# 1 Curious
03-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Since I do not play a fed I am looking for some answers.

I see a lot of complaints from Feds about cloak, carriers and any number of assorted space abilities that that Klingons possess. Most feds find them unbalanced.

Since I lose half or more of my space pvp fights and I haven't lost a ground fight in almost 4 weeks I would think most feds would find the Ground PVP unbalanced not the Space.

Yet I don't see a single complaint about ground PVP. Why is that?

Vllad
Purge
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
just about everyone avoids ground pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Any Fed complaining about ground balance would get laughed off the forums. They simply have no leg to stand on when it comes to unbalanced skills (identical), kits (identical) or weapons (identical). I have seen people complain about differences in Traits, as if their 40-0 defeat was caused by my Klingon's 5% resist trait, but they don't get a lot of traction there.

So they lose in ground combat even worse than they do in space, but they have no basis to complain.

Since Klingons and Feds are not identical in space, they can attempt to explain away their losses by blaming cloak or the fact that carriers exist.

I suspect the full explanation is something along the lines of this:
Most Feds don't seem to like ground combat in PvE -- the AI is weak and NPCs attack you with padded gloves on, rarely using the really nasty holds, roots, exposes, exploits, etc, on you (imagine if NPCs could expose+exploit you like you can expose and exploit them! Feds would learn to get good at ground combat quick). I think Feds mostly prefer to just slide through ground combat as quickly as possible. Consequently when it comes time for PvP, they are terrible at it.

They do enjoy space combat, though, and that's where they spent most of their time and effort, so when it comes to PvP, they actually do much better. But, since there are differences, they can also complain more when they lose.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-10-2010, 08:15 AM
The only PvP I usually do on my Fed characters is ground combat, just because the queues are super-short -- I can usually get in after no more than a couple of minutes. But I can't really complain about the combat because, as noted, everything is pretty much equal. It seems like the Feds do lose a lot more often than they win in ground PvP, but my impression of that is that they often just dont' seem interested in working together. I'll often see my Fed teammates go running off on their own, while the Klingons work together in a group fashion. And that leads to major defeats. When the Federation players do work together, combat becomes a lot more even. (Similarly, those times that the Klingons are running around on their own just as much as the Federation players, the results become a lot closer.)
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz

Since Klingons and Feds are not identical in space, they can attempt to explain away their losses by blaming cloak or the fact that carriers exist......

All your post seems to agree with the view I have on the PvP factions.
I play ONLY my fed, not got around to making A Klingon yet, and I see that the Klingon players are far more organised in space PvP..The amount of times I get sucker punched by the 'lone' klingon ship shows it is a tactic that works on me. But I am learning and improving my science skills...soon I will be able to contribute to a team with skills learned the hard way. Well that is the plan
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-10-2010, 10:45 AM
I think there'd be some whines in WoW if every class on Horde got racial cloak.

"so.." <twiddles thumbs> "wonder when I'll get ganked" <looks around>

Dead...
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-10-2010, 10:59 AM
You guys should play both Fed and Klink. I do, and I ground PvP all the time. Fed teams don't always lose like some people imply. There are plenty of ****** klinks too, believe me...I often have to group with them.

Sometimes you just need to take command of wayward, solo Feds..Invite people to your group, tell people they need to group, and tell them to stay together. Not everyone is a PvP genius.

I will say that Feds seem to whine and complain more overall, but Klinks complain much more bitterly...cause they expect to win, not be crushed like they are when they face me.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho
Klinks complain much more bitterly...cause they expect to win
Hot Topic hath no emo like a Klingon beaten.

I guess when your IRL self-esteem depends on your pixels blowing up someone else's pixels so you can brag to people you'll never meet about your leet skills, losing becomes a travesty worthy of epic QQ. But hey, Klingon whining is the most OP thing in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vllad
...Most feds find them unbalanced. ...
No, most Feds do not. Most Feds don't complain at all about Klingon abilities and ships.

Forums are virtually never representative of the real population. Forums only represent the noisy people.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
No, most Feds do not. Most Feds don't complain at all about Klingon abilities and ships.

Forums are virtually never representative of the real population. Forums only represent the noisy people.
Fair enough let me re-state.

A great deal of Feds I pvp against and most of the Feds that post on this forum.

Vllad