Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Due to some wierd quirks the game sometimes creates uneven teams, sometimes the Klingons outnumber the Feds and sometimes reversed, seldom have I seen a true even teams.

But as the only saying goes, when playing in a ground PVP match and it is you against the masses, or your team is outnumbered; stay and fight!

Nothing is more irritating than having a ground PVP match that starts with one of one side and 5 of the other, then after being killed the first time the one stays dead for 5 minutes, then respawns and leaves.

Many times I have been in a ground PVP match with just me against 5 Klingons... what do I do? I make them earn thier kills, sure they will win but they will earn everyone of my deaths and if I am lucky I will kill a couple of them. If I am really lucky I will be joined by other feds who will turn the tide of the battle.

In the end, I get a reward and the opposing faction gets a reward; if I just leave or lay there dead I will get nothing except a loss of time.

So if you are in a losing situtaion, remember... "Today is a good day to die... over and over and over and (etc...)...
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2010, 07:17 PM
The reason that uneven teams would occure, was due to people Queueing into multiple types of maps. If you Queue into 3 different maps, and one "pops" your still in the other two.

I'm hoping the devs fix it so that when you/your team enters a Queue, and then goes into a PVP Match, it'll remove everyone else from their Queues. Still might not keep the problem from happening how ever.

And I do agree, if you get stuck in a situation where you can't win because it's 5v1 (ESPECIALLY in ground) just stick with it. It's still Exp. Still credit towards your missions..
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-08-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm going to go out on a stretch and guess that you are/were a WoW player... they seem to have this "farming/clubbing" mentality regarding pvp.

Where you might see the whole endeavor as a process of amassing points or easy leveling, there are other types of player out there who are looking at the match itself.. the competition, testing game skill against other people, the pride associated with a hard fought win/loss. To a player like this, staying down and waiting for more people to show up and balance out the teams is far more logical then mindless zerging and putting their side into a point hole that cannot be dug out of if/when other people arrive.

In my experience, the guys ranting "stay and fight" are usually sitting on the stacked team. Don't expect everyone to play the game the way you want it just because you see it in a certain way.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-08-2010, 10:54 PM
I've been manually removing myself from queues when one pops. I see which one popped, leave the other two, then join. It's a workaround players can do to prevent the uneven teams, if they care enough about it to make the effort.

When I'm outnumbered on ground, I do hit and run. Try to get an expose, run away, if I got the expose, do a quick exploit and keep running. I've maintained a lead being outnumbered 4 or 5 to 1 several times. If the opposing team is too good, I might slow down my respawning to not build too many points, but I don't think it's nice to leave the other team waiting there without any point opportunity at all (maybe no one else will join).

I PVP for fun and points (since that's the only way my klingon can advance), but fun is my driving force. Outnumbered is a challenge, and losing points at the beginning and making them up at the end is part of that challenge.

And yeah, just cause a match starts horribly unbalanced doesn't mean you can't win it. Given the odds of competent and idiots on both sides, you can probably turn it around when more join (which they probably will). At the least, staying and finishing it gives everyone rewards and keeps people PVPing, which is what any of us that want to PVP should want.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticent_1222
I'm going to go out on a stretch and guess that you are/were a WoW player... they seem to have this "farming/clubbing" mentality regarding pvp.

Where you might see the whole endeavor as a process of amassing points or easy leveling, there are other types of player out there who are looking at the match itself.. the competition, testing game skill against other people, the pride associated with a hard fought win/loss. To a player like this, staying down and waiting for more people to show up and balance out the teams is far more logical then mindless zerging and putting their side into a point hole that cannot be dug out of if/when other people arrive.

In my experience, the guys ranting "stay and fight" are usually sitting on the stacked team. Don't expect everyone to play the game the way you want it just because you see it in a certain way.
Your assumption and prognosis are both incorrect.

The problem with your statement is you don't know me and you attempt to claim knowledge and concepts that are far beyond your reasoning.

My purpose for putting this post on is to request people to just stick it out rather than waste everyone's time.

While there may be a few who seek the challenge of balanced combat seldom in combat is there balance, ask any former Iraqi soldier. I have found in many cases that these people leave and then the other teams starts to leave and more people show up.

With the new system (Kudos Cryptic) of not having opposing players displayed on the map, a game of hide and snipe actually becomes more viable. A true challenge is when you have a group against a single opponent who proves to be capable of taking them all on with some measurable chance of victory.

But even in a no win situation, every battle can be a learning experiance.

Please never associate my name with WoW again, I told the child molesting lead developer what I felt about his game at Blizzcon after they unveiled what I considered the total loss of viability for intelligent players.

Back to the topic hand...

There is no reason to leave a game, even if you are outnumbered; if anything it gives a good player a chance to try new tactics or at least hone old ones. When I am outnumbered I stay and my goal is to ensure that the enemy earns each and every kill of me. Sometimes the kill is easy for them, like when I respawn 3 feet from the group, other times they have to hunt me down. If I can take one of them out so much the better.

Numbers does not always predict a win, if you have a group and one straggler; that one straggler can cost you the game; as a singleton; that one straggler is my primary target because while I may not be able to take on 4 players working together, I can probably take one player soloing away from the group.

My only intent is to ask people to not waste other peoples time, especially when the greatest challenge and most rewarding challenge may be what is given you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but

I dont PvP to get XP/monies/shinies or even to win.
I PvP for the thrill of fighting an opponent on even terms, I have no interest in 1v5 or 5v1 fights.

As such, Ill leave the match if it doesnt happen to be 2 equally sized teams, anything else is a waste of my time.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-09-2010, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but

I dont PvP to get XP/monies/shinies or even to win.
I PvP for the thrill of fighting an opponent on even terms, I have no interest in 1v5 or 5v1 fights.

As such, Ill leave the match if it doesnt happen to be 2 equally sized teams.
Which just exasperates the problem..

*sigh*
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-09-2010, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
Which just exasperates the problem..

*sigh*
Maybe so, can you give me just one reason why I should do something I dislike? (besides "let the other team gank you to their tokens/xp/whatever")

*edit*

Also, can you tell me the point of PvP, if the teams isnt equal size.. Would a soccermatch 7vs11 people make sense?
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2010, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
Maybe so, can you give me just one reason why I should do something I dislike? (besides "let the other team gank you to their tokens/xp/whatever")

*edit*

Also, can you tell me the point of PvP, if the teams isnt equal size.. Would a soccermatch 7vs11 people make sense?
Make sense no...but competing well being down a man or more and perhaps even winning.. is a true test of skill.

You never know precisely what you can do if you never push yourself..

As a for instance. Intramural flag football first game of the season our team was down one guy and we played anyway... we lost that game,by a single score no less...and went 15-1 for the season. Beating that same team again regular and play game wise.

We learned to play better as a team doing things with less people..

And sometimes equal numbers turns ooooo Goood game outnumbered dudes..into a ROFLstomp on the weaker team.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
Make sense no...but competing well being down a man or more and perhaps even winning.. is a true test of skill.

You never know precisely what you can do if you never push yourself..

As a for instance. Intramural flag football first game of the season our team was down one guy and we played anyway... we lost that game,by a single score no less...and went 15-1 for the season. Beating that same team again regular and play game wise.

We learned to play better as a team doing things with less people..

And sometimes equal numbers turns ooooo Goood game outnumbered dudes..into a ROFLstomp on the weaker team.
True, and if I feel that I can get additional teammembers Ill wait on the map a minute or two, and usually if my team have the numbers Ill stay cloaked (I play Klingon atm) until numbers are even, Ill even say it in zonechat. If however my team proceeds to massgank a lone opponent sitting at his/her spawn, Ill hyper out.. As I said, I have no interest in anything but "fair" fight.

I can and have gone 1v2 and 1v3 and either won, or been close to winning. But the problem is still that it isnt a "even" fight. I also avoid excessive stacking of skills (only skill Ive ever used two of is RSP, and that was only in my Galaxy) simply because stacking 3+ VMs for example are OPd in my mind.)

All this because I have some twisted sense of fairness I guess..

As for the "weaker" team you mention, if they are so bad that they get ROFL stomped in a 5v5 fight, its not my fault right..

I would 100 times rather lose a 5v5 match 14/15 than win a 5v1 15/0