Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-09-2010, 04:04 AM
There is no better way to quickly learn your ship/class inside out than to PVP, and there's no better way to learn how to face a true and seemingly impossible situation than by facing it in PVP.

Yeah, when I've got 5 Ks beating on me with their front cannons all at once I know I'm not getting out alive, but the lessons I very quickly learned about shield facings and defensive powers when those 5 ships were battering me sure came in handy the countless times I've had 2 Ks beating on me and I needed to buy my team some time to come to my rescue. Thanks to sticking it out when I know victory is impossible, I have the skills to keep myself alive and help my team win when things are even and close.

Oh, and there's also the issue of people proving themselves to be cowards by running out on a fight, but that's self-evident.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-09-2010, 04:44 AM
I had this problem last night.

Usually the first PvP to pop is the ground combat. Granted as a new and fresh klingon player i am only using what I was given when I started the game.

I spawned into the match and there at the spawn point was one other person, so we grouped up. 10 sec later we are both dead as 6 fed officers show up. My partner gives up and leaves after dieing twice because of the unbalance. To be honest I was about to do the same, except there is no Honor in running from a fight when your a Klingon. Ill leave that to the Romulans.

I am however no fool enough to engage multiple enemies at the same time. So I kited them away from each other taking pop shots at the closest when i could. After a bit more comrades decide to join the fun and now the teams were more evenly matched. Our side was down in points by 5 however by the end of the match we brought it back up to being 2 points down.

I understand the frustration of fighting a losing battle, but I will not deny my enemy or myself the privilage of dieing in battle.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-09-2010, 09:29 AM
To me space and ground are different for this...

In space, if I'm the only one on my team I'll still give it my best. I know that I'm going to lose in a 5v1 against me unless the 5 are REALLY bad, but that's ok. I try my best.

On the ground, however, I don't. Why? In space it's up to 15 kills. On the ground it's 40.

If it were 15 then no problem. I'll stay around for that. But since it's 40, it just takes way too long, especially if I'm actually trying. That's just no fun and, since this is a game, I'll leave. I always say so in zone chat, though. I hate it when people leave without telling anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-09-2010, 10:23 AM
I agree with the OP. People should stick it out and fight. Whenever I am outnumbered I go out there and give it my all.

I had a ground match last night on my science officer, Valera. It was 5v1, I get instantly killed when I enter the match since the Feds were sitting on the spawn in. No worries, I even thanked them for the warm greeting (energy weapons are quite warm, you know).

I then proceeded to kite them around the map and kill anyone that I happened to expose. I had a pretty good lead and more than half the match over with by the time another player showed up. I still didn't really team up with them but for a few times that we happened to run into eachother. We won that match with two and I would have won it solo if no one else had shown up.

You have to give it your best no matter what, you never know what you will be capable of.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-09-2010, 12:24 PM
For Ground, there is no reason to stay in a 5-on-1 situation. None.

If they stay grouped, and have half a brain, then its just a waste of your time.

If anything, just run in and fall on their swords.

For one thing, unless you have damage buffs/skills, people are surviving Exposes/Exploits more and more, so even lucky hit and run shots may not get you much.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Ignoring the OP, but since it's an interesting topic -- twice I have been the solo man against 5 enemies. Both times (as one of those annoying turret spamming, tons of heals and shield recharges and mines Engineers) I was able to put up at least a decent fight rather than die instantly. Both times the Klingons actually RP'd it and challenged me to one-on-one unarmed combat after a bit.

I died, but I had a ton of fun. IF you get in that situation, try chatting and letting them know the situation. Sometimes they may be jerks and shoot you full of holes....but sometimes it can be fun even if it's not very productive for you.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-09-2010, 09:46 PM
I do my best to stick it out even under the worst odds.

Korthos
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-09-2010, 09:52 PM
imo, if the player is not having fun, that player should leave. Who wants an emotional distress player to kill over and over and over...not me, I want players who enjoy the game, not whine, QQ or cry, complain, and accuse others of hacking or cheating. (unless, of I am playing me Fed I would do all that, to instigate....uh..yeh.)

5 v 1, bye bye

1 v 5, bye bye

players screaming hacks, cheats, whining....added to my list of ignored *******. they should be honored to be on such a list.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Nothing wrong with waiting while dead, and if players aren't joining within 5-10 minutes you probably won't be seeing more. Just leave, requeue, have some fun. If a team of 5v1 can't propose duels or even wait for a fair balance, then they can stick it out in a prolonged cycle of spawnkilling someone, their leaving, more waiting ad nauseum. It'll take them far longer to complete a game than if they just waited for teams.

You shouldn't claim rewards and time already invested as a reason to suicide yourself, or thinly disguise it as an experience opportunity. You should know how to defend yourself, you can learn that even if you don't have a stove under your ass. You also don't learn anything as the group of 5 against the 1--why it would be implied that the group of 5 is doing the lesser team a favor by attacking them all at once is just inane. At T5 there's no reason to sit around in imbalanced games, you max out on everything points can get you very quickly. Stick around for a bit, wait it out, leave if it doesn't improve. Never be afraid to walk away from an ante.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho
For Ground, there is no reason to stay in a 5-on-1 situation. None.

If they stay grouped, and have half a brain, then its just a waste of your time.

If anything, just run in and fall on their swords.

For one thing, unless you have damage buffs/skills, people are surviving Exposes/Exploits more and more, so even lucky hit and run shots may not get you much.
For ground there is no reason to play. Expose Exploit win. BORING.