Lt. Commander
# 11
03-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius_Bonaparte
Play the Donimion/Founders when they are released as a faction them, thats more their style. The Federation isn't about mass murder, except Section 31 and that attempted genocide of the changelings.

As a fed member I am about genocide. It's called being fedcentric and all others being the enemy. You're right about Star Trek lore and the Fed being about diplomacy and peace of course. However, I am not and I play fed.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-08-2010, 04:52 PM
War is hell. Sometimes you have to vaporize **** and kill babies while they're still in the egg. You try to forget what you've seen, but it haunts you when it's dark and still at night and you are alone with your thoughts. Eventually, you drink too much and check the mail every few days to see if your kids wrote to you, but they never do.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Your "Jem'Hadar" babies would be trying to kill you by day 3.

Jean-Luc Picard sure as hell tried to vaporize Ensign Lynch.

Anyway, we've already discussed this. Remembering Star Trek selectively as you wish to remember it doesn't help us get to the reality of the series. The Federation did "what the situation required" in many instances.

Hell, where do you think The Maquis came from? They were upset at the Federation for a reason, and it wasn't because they were being treated well.

Also, you may consult the last few episodes of Deep Space 9 if you have any further doubts. There were an awful lot of deaths in those last episodes. Sisko didn't feel like a toast with bloodwine after it, but he did it nonetheless.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-08-2010, 04:53 PM
If Kirk told us anything, it's:-

If you can't sleep with it, kill it.

Lt. Commander
# 15
03-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrax73
You would find your self in a court martial or mutiny. Now if you want to play Mirror Universe Empire like that, if i was a dev, i would see you have your wish.
I appreciate that of course. Like I said I think players should have the option of more diplomacy and the like. However since this is a game. I don't want to see the current options removed is all I am saying. The one thing I never liked about the Federation, and they are my favorite faction. Is this "I love you, you love me" attitude.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Yes, because there is nothing just as exciting then talking your way to Admiral!

They are trying to get more people to play this game, not lose more. I agree, there should be an option, or more diplomacy missions (like for exploration missions). I don't agree that the Federation should be limited to just diplomacy. This is a time of war after all.

And the WoW comment was just plain flaming. I don't like WoW. I actually hate it. But I do like a game with action in it, whether it is Star Trek or not. Star Trek just happens to be really good background for an action RPG.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
War is hell. Sometimes you have to vaporize **** and kill babies while they're still in the egg. You try to forget what you've seen, but it haunts you when it's dark and still at night and you are alone with your thoughts. Eventually, you drink too much and check the mail every few days to see if your kids wrote to you, but they never do.
I think some people have a problem with the fact that people can commit acts like this AND sleep at night.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-08-2010, 04:56 PM
War...changes people. Its a fact of life and a very true and testable one. in this history for STO, the Federation is effectively fighting on more fronts than it has ever had to before. In this situation, as it is presented in the game, the very survival of the Federation is in doubt. So, would the Federation do whatever it takes to ensure its own survival? Of course.

This doesnt make them evil however, though the situation may force them to do distasteful things. Rather, the Federation has started to become indifferent to anything that stands in the way of its continued existence. This is what leads to the...ACTS that take place in the storyline, the sheer desperation for survival.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius_Bonaparte
Play the Donimion/Founders when they are released as a faction then, thats more their style. The Federation isn't about mass murder, except Section 31 and that attempted genocide of the changelings.
Or when a Captain or Admiral goes off the deep end. Like with Captain Maxwell starting killing Cardassians he suspected of foul-play and Admiral Leyton put the fear of the Dominion into folks at Earth to get people geared up for WOOOOAAAARRR. And yep, Section 31 as well, who ARE (like it or not) Federation folk who Starfleet constantly turn a blind-eye to.

The Federation is full of idealists who are protected by a bunch of realists.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebon
I'm impressed by your game, it's quite fun with its PVE/PVP on space/ground and I will probably play it till the end of times because i'm a fan of you know what.

But, please, we are not the "Fearderation". We don't vaporize people, we don't kill babies (remember the jem'hadar eggs ?), we don't shoot at first sight, we don't detroy stuff just for the fun...etc.

Or maybe we are playing a mirror universe without knowing ?

So, it would be cool for fed players to put weapons on stun (would be easy to do), to make people KO rather than vaporize them for the expose attacks, and it would be cool to write missions (and rewrite old missions) with some diplomacy/science/talk options and more humour (you can do it , there are many examples).

In fact, you should introduce some kind of bonus XP for finishing missions without massacres:

- the kids would kill everyone, get the reward and jump to the next slaughters
- the fan of star trek would play the diplomacy card, speak with everyone, do some scan and find the solution without blood on their hands (and get a reward for doing it in the spirit of Star Trek). You have to hire some writers for this but the game, people who can give use missions with different ends (ala Bioware).

So please, more science and less violence, because the Federation is not the Fearderation !

Let's see the Federation or its Captains in canon have attempted genocide once, condoned it 4 times, threatened orbital bombardment twice, fabricated evidence and killed a Romulan Senator to get them into the Dominion War which was approved by Starfleet Command, started the Dominion War, countless treaty violations, countless border incursions, several acts of espionage, theft, and sabotage, and attempted a forceful relocation of a population. See the trend? While it is great to have ideals and to live up to them, the Federation like any government will put those aside when ever they deem it in their interests to so. As this game takes place in a time of war and major conflict those ideals will get pushed to the back burner in order to respond to threats.