Lt. Commander
# 41
03-08-2010, 04:39 PM
well when spock and nero went backin time the new parrel universe is the mirror universe, Q saw the potential in the new universe of genocide and sluaghter and took it and mixed it with the roddenberry universe. thus that is why we are not the federation but the undine of the terren empire, disguised as the federation to ruin the timeline to show that the borg and klingons are chumps.
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
In your opinion. If we are at war with the Klingons and they resist. Then by all means, eliminate them.
exterminate all of them
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-08-2010, 04:42 PM
i only read the OP so all i have to say is

"paperwork online"
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrax73
Its not I love you, you love me. its I respect you, please return the courtesy. Violence and warfare is a last resort tactic of the federation, after exhausting all diplomatic avenues. This is canon. Its like saying my Jedi knight should have the right to use the dark side of the force but not turn sith. Some things are more important then game mechanics, being true to the doctrines of the federation and starfleet is one of them. Otherwise don't call it Star Trek Online because it isn't.
Diplomatic options = YES, but...

How about just plain Options?

I will try not to overly critique the game, as I am only a Lt Cdr and have only played for 2 weeks sparingly, but I'm beginning to feel less "Go now, Lt Cdr, and complete your mission! The Federation is depending on you!" and instead just a randomly selected BO telling me "Go here and shoot these 4 things, and press 'F' on these 3 things..."

My suppose my real question is, "Is this an MMORPG, or an MMOG?"
Exploration ≠ following your tricorder to flashing 3D graphic x (although I still enjoy this... immensely)
Diplomacy ≠ buying 1000 - 5000 ECs worth of 2D graphic y

Give me Hello Kitty Island Adventure Mini-Games instead of 'F,' if that's all you've got!

As for canon, as a Trekkie who wants more options including violence (and don't you dare take away my vaporizations) whatever happened to Section 31???
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebon
I'm impressed by your game, it's quite fun with its PVE/PVP on space/ground and I will probably play it till the end of times because i'm a fan of you know what.

But, please, we are not the "Fearderation". We don't vaporize people, we don't kill babies (remember the jem'hadar eggs ?), we don't shoot at first sight, we don't detroy stuff just for the fun...etc.

Or maybe we are playing a mirror universe without knowing ?

So, it would be cool for fed players to put weapons on stun (would be easy to do), to make people KO rather than vaporize them for the expose attacks, and it would be cool to write missions (and rewrite old missions) with some diplomacy/science/talk options and more humour (you can do it , there are many examples).

In fact, you should introduce some kind of bonus XP for finishing missions without massacres:

- the kids would kill everyone, get the reward and jump to the next slaughters
- the fan of star trek would play the diplomacy card, speak with everyone, do some scan and find the solution without blood on their hands (and get a reward for doing it in the spirit of Star Trek). You have to hire some writers for this but the game, people who can give use missions with different ends (ala Bioware).

So please, more science and less violence, because the Federation is not the Fearderation !
I dunno that theyd leave jem'Hadar babies to grow up to become warriors so thy can turn around and kill countless more Federation themselves. Id HAVE to think theyd HAVE to kill em. Its not like theyre gonna beam em up to the ship O.o though that would be a neat idea... then after they rapid mature, I get the next few Boffs as Jem'Hadar lol

I dont get the point of having dialogue options that DONT MATTER, except the green one that makes it go forward :p
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I have a feeling with the war already happening, that diplomacy is out of the solution.

The Klingons are a warrior race. I'm going to have to compare them to a culture based in the Star Wars universe, mostly because I can explain it a lot better. There is this group known as the Mandalorians. They have honor, they are warriors, and I've read all the book on them and have rp'd them out on several occasions. They live for fighting to prove their honor, much like the Klingons, and with people like that, there is no such thing as Diplomacy. Diplomacy to a warrior culture is proving yourself in combat.

Romulans got their homewold blown to smithereens. They are ****ed, not to mention they don't trust the Federation (unfairly, but still) because Spock failed to save their planet.

The True Way? Terrorist organization. The world knows how well diplomacy works with terrorists.

All in all, I'd like to see some Diplomacy missions added to the Genesis system for exploration missions, but other than that, I'd say large scale diplomacy in the mainstream missions is pretty much out of the question.
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
As many others said previously, it seems that the only consensus on this topic is that the players should be given a choice as often as possible. As for rewriting the missions, Cryptic (I believe it was D. Stahl) said that they probably won't change existing stories (except for typos and stuff like that) but will do "something" to introduce more diplomacy into the game.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius_Bonaparte
No he didn't. When he, Admiral Ross and General Martok all land on Cardassia, Martok tries to celebrate with bloodwine and both Sisko and Ross poor theirs out and walk away leaving Martok to scoff and drink alone.
I worded my statement in a sloppy manner.

What I meant was, Sisko didn't feel like sharing a blood wine toast afterwards, BUT HE STILL KILLED the people that needed to be killed on the way to Cardassia Prime, whether he toasted them or not.

Not, "he did it nonetheless" as "he toasted", but "he destroyed everything in his path", and it wasn't even because they were concerned about the Cardassians, if I recall. Their primary reasoning was, if we don't follow the Dominion forces all the way back to Cardassia Prime and rout them now, they will simply rebuild and come at us again.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-08-2010, 09:19 PM
When an npc is exposed ... you have the choice of exploiting the opportunity. You also have the choice to equip your bridge officers with exploit weapons as well. If you view the vaporization by Starfleet officers immoral, then do not partake in it's exploitation.

P.S. Slow down with the advancements guys. Cryptic is already giving us lots of new content right away. There will be plenty of time for new factions. The Star Trek universe is a big place and there is a lot of room for expansion.
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebon
I'm impressed by your game, it's quite fun with its PVE/PVP on space/ground and I will probably play it till the end of times because i'm a fan of you know what.

But, please, we are not the "Fearderation". We don't vaporize people, we don't kill babies (remember the jem'hadar eggs ?), we don't shoot at first sight, we don't detroy stuff just for the fun...etc.

Or maybe we are playing a mirror universe without knowing ?

So, it would be cool for fed players to put weapons on stun (would be easy to do), to make people KO rather than vaporize them for the expose attacks, and it would be cool to write missions (and rewrite old missions) with some diplomacy/science/talk options and more humour (you can do it , there are many examples).

In fact, you should introduce some kind of bonus XP for finishing missions without massacres:

- the kids would kill everyone, get the reward and jump to the next slaughters
- the fan of star trek would play the diplomacy card, speak with everyone, do some scan and find the solution without blood on their hands (and get a reward for doing it in the spirit of Star Trek). You have to hire some writers for this but the game, people who can give use missions with different ends (ala Bioware).

So please, more science and less violence, because the Federation is not the Fearderation !
Couldn't agree more. Check my sig and sign the thread there if you like the diplomacy system I'm recommending to Cryptic.