Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2010, 06:11 PM
thanks!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-08-2010, 07:13 PM
From the Alltern8 interview:

"MN: Were you conscious of the fact that, by prioritising combat game play over non-combat game play in the gameís initial release, you were going against the grain of the expectations of a large number of Star Trek fans?"

I LOL'd. Nothing like a good old-fashioned loaded question to keep Craig on his toes. :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
First interview was just the same old questions again. That is, "Who are you?" "Can you tell us a little bit about how is to be a MMO producer" et cetera..

But i loved the second interview. Nothing new was said, but that's because Zn is pro at answering questions enthusiastically without really addressing everything the interviewer asked.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic12 View Post
From the Alltern8 interview:

"MN: Were you conscious of the fact that, by prioritising combat game play over non-combat game play in the gameís initial release, you were going against the grain of the expectations of a large number of Star Trek fans?"

I LOL'd. Nothing like a good old-fashioned loaded question to keep Craig on his toes. :p
Yeah... The second interview was full of trick questions... While I agree that the first interview was mostly general questions and fairly uninteresting, the second one was a bit better, although it made me feel like the goal of the interviewer was to make Cryptic look bad... A bit sad, because it isn't constructive.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I must have read a completely different interview, because I thought the second interview asked some good straight to the point questions. There have been many concerns around this game due to it being released so bare bones at it's launch and I thought the interviewer was pretty fair in addressing those concerns and trying to get some real answers on the state of the game, it's future, and why some unpopular decisions were made.

Unfortunately all we got was the same old "We've looked into feature X and hope to add a similar feature like that sometime in the near future" answers that we've all come to know and expect.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-08-2010, 11:56 PM
I think this has got to be my favourite quote from the second interview:

Zinc: "However, this doesnít mean that there isnít diplomacy or exploration in our game."

Baaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha.

I laughed until I cried.

And fine. I'll say it.

There isn't diplomacy or exploration in your game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Nice reading. allways fun to read about things that will come in the game.
Hopfully there will be alot more content added to gamma sectors, thinking mainly of missions
we can do more then one time. with some changes to them every now and then.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2010, 06:25 AM
The MMOHub's interview is pretty useless. The Alltern8's one is far more interesting : the questions are way less easy but Cryptic should not be afraid by these : they are much more informative and they keep them on their toes.

As for diplomacy and exploration, Cryptic has been saying that they will work on something for weeks now, maybe it's time to tell us what diplomacy they are considering : full diplomacy system ? episodic content missions ala miners on strike ? Something else ?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-09-2010, 07:36 AM
This is the curious part...

Quote:
"Cody: Was the development focus for STO to provide current Star Trek fans with a familiar world they could immerse themselves in, or to offer players unfamiliar with the Star Trek universe a place they could enjoy without prior knowledge?
"
"Craig: I think both. Our goal was to make a fun Star Trek game. Fun games tend to draw gamers, regardless of the source material, and doing our best to remain faithful to the Star Trek IP draws in fans of the universe. So by making it fun and making it Star Trek, we felt we could hit both groups."
But then prior, Craig says this in the state-of-the-game post back on 2/25.

Quote:
Throughout development, we guessed Star Trek Online might be polarizing. Some people don't get it and some people simply don't like it... But, others fall in love with their ships and captains and bridge officers. Those are the ones who can't live without beaming down to strange, new planets and participating in lively stories.

We guessed this and still we made a conscious decision to not water things down and go "mass market".
Definition of "Polarization" - In communications and psychology, polarization is the process whereby a social or political group is divided into two opposing sub-groups with fewer and fewer members of the group remaining neutral or holding an intermediate position.

Which is is, Craig? I am totally confused on your direction. At one point you say you're catering to a small group; the ones that GET it. Then you're in an interview and you're saying you're catering to "BOTH" groups? Huh? Man, you are one confusing individual.

Oh, and I do have to point out the comment that you mention "to not water things down". Wha? Not watered down? Are you kidding me? It is so watered down I cannot see the flavor in any of it.

You side-stepped so many direct questions, I would be embarrassed.

And then this...

Quote:
Cody: Many players have said that the launch for STO felt a little rough around the edges; what were some of the things that went wrong, and right, on launch-day, and what were the core changes made in the following weeks?
Craig: Launch compared to a lot of MMOís was actually pretty smooth. We did have a few unexpected downtimes, but we quickly addressed those. It was probably the load that was put on the servers that made for some rubberbanding or players having trouble logging on, but we took immediate steps to improve our server performance and capacity by improving both our hardware and our software.
What?!?! Look man, yeah your game is going smooth NOW, but don't even try to slide that one in that it was smooth compared to other MMOs. It was a freaking debacle. You added a queue system to play your game so people had to take turns! Take turns! Dude, nobody has done that, ever, in any MMO. Yeah, to join a PvP instance, but not to actually logon!

And smooth? Uh, no. There were so many server blow-ups you couldn't even count them. It was the worst. This is irritating you try to smooth it over with a little sugar. Say it was a major oversite. Say it was very shaky and that you've learned some lessons. Say there were so many more subscribers hitting your game than you ever realized. Then I could respect you. Don't lie to those that know better.

THIS, is the state of the game, even today. By your very own; Cody...
http://community.mmohub.org/forum/al...-part-one-2874

I'm fine playing your game, but don't get up there and start lying about it. That irritates me.