Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
03-09-2010, 09:31 AM
the first interview wasn't any good. the second one had some excellent questions, but all the questions were answered like a politician, so im not going to believe a word of what was said until i see it myself.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
03-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I'll let others speak and cover other topics in to correct forums messages, but I do want to say one thing to Craig (Zinc)....


Good God, Man! Change your shirt!

We keep seeing the same smiling picture of you! Get a new pic taken already! This one's getting old!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
03-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrayel
This is the curious part...



But then prior, Craig says this in the state-of-the-game post back on 2/25.



Definition of "Polarization" - In communications and psychology, polarization is the process whereby a social or political group is divided into two opposing sub-groups with fewer and fewer members of the group remaining neutral or holding an intermediate position.

Which is is, Craig? I am totally confused on your direction. At one point you say you're catering to a small group; the ones that GET it. Then you're in an interview and you're saying you're catering to "BOTH" groups? Huh? Man, you are one confusing individual.

Oh, and I do have to point out the comment that you mention "to not water things down". Wha? Not watered down? Are you kidding me? It is so watered down I cannot see the flavor in any of it.

You side-stepped so many direct questions, I would be embarrassed.

And then this...

[snip]
Not sure why that confused you. Clearly the game has caused polarization. One only needs to spend a brief time on these forums to realized that. The other idea is not at all contradictory. In fact it's actually the reason for the polarization. By making a Star Trek game that was "fun to play" and appealed to casual gamers, they effectively divided Star Trek fans. They became divided between those for whom having fun playing a game was most important, and those for whom existing and exploring in a more peaceful Star Trek world was what they were looking for. [I attempted to state those two sides nonjudgmentally but probably failed.]

I consider myself a gamer because I spend so much of my free time doing that. I also consider myself a Star Trek fan because I like the IP and the shows, although some would take issue with that since I haven't seen every TV episode or all the movies. And, thus even though I may never have tried this game if it weren't Star Trek since that's what caught my attention, I would be playing it if tried regardless of the Star Trek IP. On the other hand, I would not be playing the other type of game that would be more Star Trek simulator with a lot diplomacy and exploration. Others I see seem to feel the opposite which is why it's polarizing.

STO...Star Trek or not...love it or hate it...get it or don't...you decide...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
03-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Quote:
"Zinc said: Plus, we’ve said since the beginning that we’re making (and have made) a game, not a simulator."

As noble as that may sound to the ear, the reality is that if any franchise were deserving of a simulation style experience for the player, it's Star Trek.

Consider this; if Lord of the Rings Online did not want to make a simulator, the lands from Hobbiton to Mordor would be little boxes of content with an out-of-scale, map-travel system linking them together. The richness of first time foot travel through LotRO would be totally lost in that translation, and so too is the richness of a truly explorable galaxy lost in STO due to the boxes of stars with highway lanes and patterned rug grids that we see in sector space.

This was a gross design error that will never be fixed in STO, and we will never enjoy the experience of warp-speed exploration of a vast galaxy uncluttered by astrometrics art in the manner seen in the television shows and movies. From a post launch design perspective, there's just no way to shove this toothpaste back into the tube short of a complete redesign from square one of the entirety of interstellar space and system instance hooks.

Our one shot at a truly immersive Star Trek MMO is lost. After all, who in their right mind is ever going to try to take on the Star Trek Curse in an MMO ever again, after this?

Not to be mean but rather to be honest, I would not hold my head too high when declaring words to the effect of, "we did not make a simulator" for a Star Trek game, as if that were something to brag about.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
03-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
This term is widely used in the game industry for a developer's reflection of the development process -after- the game has been published. It sounds bad because of the word association, but there is nothing negative meant by it.
Yeah I know, but seeing as STO is still being made it sounds worse.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
03-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJimGregory View Post

As noble as that may sound to the ear, the reality is that if any franchise were deserving of a simulation style experience for the player, it's Star Trek.

Consider this; if Lord of the Rings Online did not want to make a simulator, ... .
Had to stop there...you are the first person I've ever heard refer to LotRO as a simulator. That word does not mean what one of us thinks it does.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
03-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
Had to stop there...you are the first person I've ever heard refer to LotRO as a simulator. That word does not mean what one of us thinks it does.
Even though you "stopped" reading the post before replying, I'll offer this ....

To me, one of the differences between game and simulation is the difference between using an out-of-scale travel map for navigating a game world as in the case of STO, and using an accurate, full scale game world travel method as in the case of LotRO. Of course, that's only the first real difference between game and simulation. To take it a step further in Star Trek specifically, they would need to include the option to travel from within a properly scaled, functional bridge. I did not make this stuff up, and it's not my design or idea. It's a scene in virtually every single Star Trek television and movie episode ever made.

It is, however, my opinion that this should have been simulated. Not everyone will agree.


Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
The MMOHub's interview is pretty useless. The Alltern8's one is far more interesting : the questions are way less easy but Cryptic should not be afraid by these : they are much more informative and they keep them on their toes.

As for diplomacy and exploration, Cryptic has been saying that they will work on something for weeks now, maybe it's time to tell us what diplomacy they are considering : full diplomacy system ? episodic content missions ala miners on strike ? Something else ?

MMOHub's review of the game just flat out annoyed me lol...the first paragraph was preety much saying: "I really don't like Star Trek at all so prepare for a negative review" LOL. Although having someone who isn't a true fan gives a unique view on STO, the way the reviewer stated his opinion on Star Trek...idk just seemed illogcal.


And I too am waiting for a ligit answer on diplomacy in STO, although I'm starting to like the battles more, a diplomacy option would be perfect for a real Trek fan. And hey who says your attempt at diplomacy works? You say the wrong thing and BAM you get attacked, say the right thing, maybe get a few extra points. Idk my quick 2 cents.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
03-09-2010, 03:22 PM
I love interviews with the Head of the ******** Department.

Just give up Cryptic, the game will go nowhere because you cant dig it out of the hole it's in.

I just uninstalled STO, today was a good day to die.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
03-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebort5050 View Post
I love interviews with the Head of the ******** Department.

Just give up Cryptic, the game will go nowhere because you cant dig it out of the hole it's in.

I just uninstalled STO, today was a good day to die.
Good for you. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. While many of you people do nothing but whine and complain about how the game isn't what you wanted on the forums, there are tons of us who are logged in and having a fantastic time. And it keeps getting better with each update.

Enough of this doomsaying. It's so ridiculous. Give it a rest. If you hate the game that much then stop trolling the forums and move on.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04 AM.