Lt. Commander
# 1 Torpedo boat not possible?
03-08-2010, 09:38 PM
I was thinking of trying to make a torpedo boat for fun 3 torpedoes in front 3 turrets in the back but when ever i hit spacebar only 1 torpedo fires and 3 back turrets?.

i remapped alt-space to space but for some reason only 1 torp seems to fire or is that by design?.

also torpedo spread should launch a pile at once but that does not happen either.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Its by design.. not ment to shoot all torps at once..
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Dosent mean u cant put them all on autofire and chain fire them as soon as the general torpedo cooldown is up... with 2 weapon slots photon toprs is highest dps... 3 quantum, or u could go with the specialty torps with 3 or 4 slots. Its possible of course just not very effective solo... very strong with a team though working with someone who is heavy energy setup.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Simple fact of the matter is, Cryptic dont want beam boats, but they dont give you the ability to have torpedo boats. It'd be great for tactical officers if instead of a bucket of pure fail for unique abilities, they reduced torpedo cooldown (globally) by 1 second
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus_Driver
Dosent mean u cant put them all on autofire and chain fire them as soon as the general torpedo cooldown is up... with 2 weapon slots photon toprs is highest dps... 3 quantum, or u could go with the specialty torps with 3 or 4 slots. Its possible of course just not very effective solo... very strong with a team though working with someone who is heavy energy setup.
Yeah, with a good team I can see it maybe working well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-08-2010, 11:01 PM
hell, just use different types of torpedoes or use ones that go through shields like transphasics. Imagine my Tier 4 science ship, full torp loadout, use high yeild torp as I'm passing the enemy, 12 torps hit the ship in a matter of seconds.

Hmmm, maybe this is why didn't allow it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Two things to think about when making a torpedo boat:

The global, shared cooldown for torpedos is 3 seconds. Any time you fire one launcher, you put the others on cooldown for 3 seconds.

Each kind of torpedo has a different recharge on the launcher itself (6s for Photon, 8s for Quantum/Plasma, 10s for Chroniton/Transphasic, 60s for Tricobalt). Taking this in mind... you can have # of launchers firing in sequence equal to (Recharge) / (Shared Cooldown, in this case 3).

Anything short of Transphasic and Chronitons have a maximum effective total efficiency of 2 launchers (you clip the cooldown with Quantums/Plasma). You can, however, fire Transphasic/Chroniton Torpedos in sequence easily at 3 launchers (firing one every 3 seconds).

You just can't fire them all at once. Still possible, though feasibility is a bit in question here (You can also mix and match, with say... 2 Quantums and a Transphasic, or what have you). Nothing stopping you from using the concept as long as you understand how it all works together.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Tried it, failed. Its not gonna to work, sorry. The global cooldown, and the lack of affecting all tubes with BO abiilties, makes it not worth it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2010, 02:30 AM
It's possible to make torpedo boats, although there's no benefit from mounting more than two photon launchers in the same bay, and in general I'd advise against using more than two quantum or plasma launchers or three transphasic or chroniton launchers in the same bay (see the Torpedo Cooldowns section in the Starship Weapons Overview link in my sig for details).
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Torpedo boats, while possible, are undesirable for any kind of solo play or even PVP since you won't do much of anything against shielded targets. In a group/raid set up, it might be more viable, but as others have said, the cool down and officer limitations make it a very difficult to manage idea.