Lt. Commander
It breaks down like this IMHO ,, if your a hardcore player then this game sux , if your casual gamer , the ST brand will make you hang around for a bit till they fix some of the problems , I feel bad for all my hardcore brothers , I had to give up that life as personal things got in the way, I remember the days of playing SWG all day trying to un-lock Jedi , but we have to face the facts the way of the future for MMO"S is, easy, care-bear, casual MMO's the company's want to make the most money and that's the winning combination .

As a casually guy now STO keeps me entertained to a point , but I get easily bored after a couple of hours, so I can understand were everyone is coming form on this forum ,has a serious MMO this game is 5/10 , has casual "Look at me flying a federation star ship" game 7.5/10 with potential , if you can follow my thinking

sorry for spelling grammar , written on crack-berry :p
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Agree fully...if I was to play this like I played SWG back in Pre-CU or WoW i'd of instantly uninstalled...now that I dont have the time for that anymore I like this game...I can log on...do a couple mission...log off and enjoy myself. TBH I like it better...I hated having to be on at a certain time etc
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seliak View Post
It breaks down like this IMHO ,, if your a hardcore player then this game sux , if your casual gamer , the ST brand will make you hang around for a bit till they fix some of the problems , I feel bad for all my hardcore brothers , I had to give up that life as personal things got in the way, I remember the days of playing SWG all day trying to un-lock Jedi , but we have to face the facts the way of the future is easy, care-bear, casual MMO's the company's want to make the most money and that's the winning combination .

As a casually guy now STO keeps me entertained to a point , but I get easily bored after a couple of hours, so I can understand were everyone is coming form on this forum ,has a serious MMO this game is 5/10 , has casual "Look at my flying a federation star ship" game 7.5/10 with potential , if you can follow my thinking

sorry for spelling grammar , written on crack-berry :p
They do have a motivation of making money, that is normal, but that is not there only motivation, they are people too, and many of them are fans of Star Trek.

The single motivation of making money fails in any part of life, if that was your only motivation you could be a criminal or sociopath for instance. Other single motivation cause issues also.

Most of the people that make money have many fine qualities and other motivations also.

On the topic of your post, the casual players will probably not stick around, they commonly bounce from game to game, some might get into game, but the large Trek Audience will stick around and be patient for awhile, then when game continues to improve will grow from there. So getting that burst of casual players at start, then tailoring to the players that have more reasons to play, refines the direction of the game.

For max profit and best final product, a wide net that gets the max to newness bonus, then a refining to more uniqueness is best profit and tailoring of game method. If there are not a few rare specific motivations in play, that would be the expected behavior.

That is my guess, and if there are problems, it is more likely the casual players that are more likely to leave not the Trek players, so again that leads to a customization in that direction.

So I see prosperous future for many motives, one of them being a moderate profit margin for people at the company, but also the other motives people live there lives with.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 07:43 PM
im pretty hardcore, and i enjoy the game immensely, im probly a bit on the odder side though

sinse the game caters to my pvp needs, and the fact im looking at it from the type of gameplay it provides being unlike other games i play
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 07:45 PM
I have been critical of Cryptic but the OP is spot on, I am a huge Star Trek fan and I want this to be successful but frustrates me to no end the ball is being dropped at this point. Just take a minute and think about why so much anger has been vented about this game. Do you think for the fun of it? Or do you think because fans like me want it to succeed? I think the latter.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Even though I love Trek, the thing that's keeping me playing is the ship combat. It's just so much fun.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevedis View Post
im pretty hardcore, and i enjoy the game immensely, im probly a bit on the odder side though
This is me as well.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelow View Post
I have been critical of Cryptic but the OP is spot on, I am a huge Star Trek fan and I want this to be successful but frustrates me to no end the ball is being dropped at this point. Just take a minute and think about why so much anger has been vented about this game. Do you think for the fun of it? Or do you think because fans like me want it to succeed? I think the latter.
Great point !
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm pretty certain the whole "Casual Gameplay, engage the most people" type thing is what Cryptic was after... (I remember reading that from someone important at some point in time... somewhere... lol)

so in that respect, they've succeeded.

I will always say this: If people don't like STO, then they don't need to play it and they certainly don't need to waste their time writing huge assed posts about them not playing either lol.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Champions Online is a great casual game too, and after less than 6 months, it is definitely a huge success with more and more players and amazing addons and patches. STO will be even better.