Lt. Commander
# 11
03-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralKaine
seriously, if its a crime to insult people on a forum now, then im headed to prison for a looooooong time i guess
Or you could learn to criticise the person's behavior rather than the person.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Without the contents of the abuse it's impossible to determine what went on. At least 2 young girls and a young boy had committed suicide fairly recently as a result of cyber bullying. One instance occurred before cyber bullying laws were in place so the mother of the teen responsible got charged with illegally accessing a computer but the other teen responsible for the second girl's suicide is apparently facing some charges.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Milenko
I dont get how youd enforce it honestly. Like jusisdictionally. Its the internet. What law enforcement agency covers this??

I dont get why the mother is all about call the police an everything when you should just go "Dont go to that site ever again"

Theres this thing, I know its old school, but it worked when I was a kid, its called PARENTING
Guess that went away when they invented the child leashes (have you ever seen these? I see em every day at work)
Yes, mommy needs to do some parenting and not let her under age daughter play on the internet unsupervised.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenda
Or you could learn to criticise the person's behavior rather than the person.
did you even read the first post?!!? are your eyes even open ?!?!?! what the heck are you eve-

j/k, j/k

i do try and be critical of a persons behaviour rather than the person, but was just saying that when its a crime to insult someone online then i think a lot of people would be in trouble. also im never going to be perfect, so i do have a bad habit of opening up now and again

it seems to be more prevalent in game forums of course, where the heat of the moment catches people. when you are as passionate about liking/disliking a game as we get online these days, the insults can fly thick and fast fairly quickly
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Im listening to the radio about a forum called formspring.me and this lady is sueing them for the abuse her underage girl got on the site, an she actually went to the police to attempt to get these ppl arrested, but honestly, the things I heard they were doing are no less than stuff I see here all the time lol
Name calling/trolling flaming etc, and cause of what I see here I was like "yeah and...?" they were calling it cyberbullying...

Is it that bad here? O.o
I didnt think this was THAT bad but apparently "normal" ppl think this is cause to get the cops involved...
FBI too from what Im hearing. Thats all just so lol worthy
Whinning, bickering, name calling, insults its part of forum life. Cyber bulling is a different category all together which usually involoves threats of some kind of a physical nature. I personally have not seen anything that approaches that on these forums.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Im listening to the radio about a forum called formspring.me and this lady is sueing them for the abuse her underage girl got on the site, an she actually went to the police to attempt to get these ppl arrested, but honestly, the things I heard they were doing are no less than stuff I see here all the time lol
Name calling/trolling flaming etc, and cause of what I see here I was like "yeah and...?" they were calling it cyberbullying...

Is it that bad here? O.o
I didnt think this was THAT bad but apparently "normal" ppl think this is cause to get the cops involved...
FBI too from what Im hearing. Thats all just so lol worthy
What does this have to do with STO?
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Overly sensitive people can be a pain in the butt.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Yes such laws do exist in some places to protect minors. But the OP didnt post all the info as normal.

Such laws are an extension of harassment laws to protect Minors. Normal trolling or flameing does not fall into this But ...and its a big but here.

When This flameing is taken to a another personal level with attacks to the person them selves emails text messages spammed say like "You should just kill your self" "I hope you get killed " So on and so forth constently from persons or a person to a minor. Yeah that would fall into this.

Has nothing to do with being over sensitive its done to children say 16 or lower That is what I remember from the court case few years ago about it. What the laws now state im unsure but know they can be very strict when itcomes to how you take flameing to far on a minor.

This is part of the reason alot of forums changed years ago including an agreement to be a certain age and rules that restrict how far you can take flameing a person not allowing personal attacks at all.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Forum content with respect to protecting minors is always a issue that is bound to give someone (most likely the forum admins) a severe headache.

It needs to be done, but to what degree and at what cost to notions like free speech and fostering an open community?

I won't link to my "home" forum (it's not an adult forum or anything), but suffice it to say that you need to have a really good understanding of our sense of humour, or else the content would do nothing but shock and awe the average visitor into a fetal position.

Of course, the kind of protection needed here goes above and beyond that of a forum created by an individual, because of corporate liability issues. It's no longer a question of "would this be offensive?" It's more likely one of "is there ANY way I [Cryptic] can be sued for this?"
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-09-2010, 01:53 PM
meh, bullies are everywhere. Unless there was some kind of real crime like exposing a minor to inappropriate material during the bullying then it just sounds like a hyperactive mom that wants society to do her parenting for her. We have gone from nanny's to TV to internet. Sadly there will always be parents who are too "busy" to be responsible for their own kids and heaven forbid raise them.