Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Ive seen alot of posts about people being upset with how fast you rank up and how stupid it is to be RA once your at END-GAME. On the RA bit, I will agree. Its unnecessary and at a later point I hope the Devs take a look at it and see if they can adjust it. But thats at a later point. There are too many blaring problems with this game currently to really do anything but put that on a back burner, probably indefinitely.

What I do want to discuss is the ranking up. As I see no reason to be upset about it. No Im not an apologist, as Ive been one to speak out against Cryptic/Atari decisions in the past. Luckily I didnt recieve the BanHammer because of it.

Lets just take a look at why you rank up so fast compared to the actual TrekVerse.

In the TrekVerse what would have happened after the Battle at Vega?

I can tell you exactly what would have happened. After your ship was slowly dragged back to Spacedock or Utopia you would have either been reassigned to a new Starship because yours would have been too heavily damaged to repair and simply decomissioned. Or you would have been placed back at your old duty station as a new Captain and Chain of Command would have been assigned to replace those that didnt make it home.

In STO:

To keep you in Command so it makes sense why you are incharge, your given a promotion to Lieutenant and given permanent Command of the ship. And your quick promotions come from your heavy experience dealing with the war with Klingons, the Cold War like state with the Romulans. And the counter insurgency with the Cardassians. The Federation has always been shorthanded. So it makes sense that with how many times you literally stopped the enemy from utterly devestating the Federation infrastructure that youd be quickly promoted to the next rank. Both to keep you in command of your ship. And to recognize you, because back home. Surely your name is being thrown around by not just the cadets, but Civilians as a Hero. The next Picard or Kirk. (Which is the Idea of the Game, making you the focus)

Im pretty sure were going to see people in here screaming that it would have been better this way or that way. Remember this is an MMO and as you progress there needs to be incentives like promotions and new ships to keep you on your journey. The game will never be what we see in the shows or movies. And no amount of crying for it to be is going to change this fact. At somepoint the game needs to deviate to keep on course with where this MMO is going.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
03-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I ranked my way up to Read Admiral, and I didn't go blind.

I'm a ranker.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance86
Ive seen alot of posts about people being upset with how fast you rank up and how stupid it is to be RA once your at END-GAME. On the RA bit, I will agree. Its unnecessary and at a later point I hope the Devs take a look at it and see if they can adjust it. But thats at a later point. There are too many blaring problems with this game currently to really do anything but put that on a back burner, probably indefinitely.

What I do want to discuss is the ranking up. As I see no reason to be upset about it. No Im not an apologist, as Ive been one to speak out against Cryptic/Atari decisions in the past. Luckily I didnt recieve the BanHammer because of it.

Lets just take a look at why you rank up so fast compared to the actual TrekVerse.

In the TrekVerse what would have happened after the Battle at Vega?

I can tell you exactly what would have happened. After your ship was slowly dragged back to Spacedock or Utopia you would have either been reassigned to a new Starship because yours would have been too heavily damaged to repair and simply decomissioned. Or you would have been placed back at your old duty station as a new Captain and Chain of Command would have been assigned to replace those that didnt make it home.

In STO:

To keep you in Command so it makes sense why you are incharge, your given a promotion to Lieutenant and given permanent Command of the ship. And your quick promotions come from your heavy experience dealing with the war with Klingons, the Cold War like state with the Romulans. And the counter insurgency with the Cardassians. The Federation has always been shorthanded. So it makes sense that with how many times you literally stopped the enemy from utterly devestating the Federation infrastructure that youd be quickly promoted to the next rank. Both to keep you in command of your ship. And to recognize you, because back home. Surely your name is being thrown around by not just the cadets, but Civilians as a Hero. The next Picard or Kirk. (Which is the Idea of the Game, making you the focus)

Im pretty sure were going to see people in here screaming that it would have been better this way or that way. Remember this is an MMO and as you progress there needs to be incentives like promotions and new ships to keep you on your journey. The game will never be what we see in the shows or movies. And no amount of crying for it to be is going to change this fact. At somepoint the game needs to deviate to keep on course with where this MMO is going.
This is incredibly silly. If you really need to 'justify' the quick ranking, the simpelest answer is best. Of course i didnt get promoted to admiral in a week, in game time =/= irl time. You really think it only takes 5 min to travel from Sol to romulan space? It would just be boring if u had to fly for a month to get places.

Theres no need to make up silly reasons why things are the way they are for game mechanics.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Justify quick ranking? Why? In the last Star Trek movie Kirk when from Cadet to Captain in a matter of days, all off camera - but it was so quick that his facial bruises hadn't even healed completely.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance86
Ive seen alot of posts about people being upset with how fast you rank up and how stupid it is to be RA once your at END-GAME. On the RA bit, I will agree. Its unnecessary and at a later point I hope the Devs take a look at it and see if they can adjust it. But thats at a later point. There are too many blaring problems with this game currently to really do anything but put that on a back burner, probably indefinitely.

What I do want to discuss is the ranking up. As I see no reason to be upset about it. No Im not an apologist, as Ive been one to speak out against Cryptic/Atari decisions in the past. Luckily I didnt recieve the BanHammer because of it.

Lets just take a look at why you rank up so fast compared to the actual TrekVerse.

In the TrekVerse what would have happened after the Battle at Vega?

I can tell you exactly what would have happened. After your ship was slowly dragged back to Spacedock or Utopia you would have either been reassigned to a new Starship because yours would have been too heavily damaged to repair and simply decomissioned. Or you would have been placed back at your old duty station as a new Captain and Chain of Command would have been assigned to replace those that didnt make it home.

In STO:

To keep you in Command so it makes sense why you are incharge, your given a promotion to Lieutenant and given permanent Command of the ship. And your quick promotions come from your heavy experience dealing with the war with Klingons, the Cold War like state with the Romulans. And the counter insurgency with the Cardassians. The Federation has always been shorthanded. So it makes sense that with how many times you literally stopped the enemy from utterly devestating the Federation infrastructure that youd be quickly promoted to the next rank. Both to keep you in command of your ship. And to recognize you, because back home. Surely your name is being thrown around by not just the cadets, but Civilians as a Hero. The next Picard or Kirk. (Which is the Idea of the Game, making you the focus)

Im pretty sure were going to see people in here screaming that it would have been better this way or that way. Remember this is an MMO and as you progress there needs to be incentives like promotions and new ships to keep you on your journey. The game will never be what we see in the shows or movies. And no amount of crying for it to be is going to change this fact. At somepoint the game needs to deviate to keep on course with where this MMO is going.
you wrote all that just to say get over it?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
03-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Justify quick ranking? Why? In the last Star Trek movie Kirk when from Cadet to Captain in a matter of days, all off camera - but it was so quick that his facial bruises hadn't even healed completely.
Was there any part of that new film that made any sense?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Was there any part of that new film that made any sense?
Yeah. It made $385 million, which is more then Nemesis, Insurrection, and First Contact combined.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
03-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
Was there any part of that new film that made any sense?
It was shiny.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
03-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggers
you wrote all that just to say get over it?
Ive seen longer posts that had nothing to say at all. You quoted all that to ask me exactly why I wrote it???
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
03-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
If you really need to 'justify' the quick ranking, the simpelest answer is best. Of course i didnt get promoted to admiral in a week, in game time =/= irl time. You really think it only takes 5 min to travel from Sol to romulan space? It would just be boring if u had to fly for a month to get places.
At some point during the long-haul through Lieutenant I was about to ready to grumpily post something about how it takes too long to reach first new ship tier...
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:33 AM.