Lt. Commander
I accidentally picked the wrong officer as my reward from the above mentioned mission. As such I'm wondering as to what sex and abilities the Alien Tactical Bridge Officer comes with so that I can buy him or her from the auction house. Thank you kindly for humouring my OCD.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadthebad View Post
I accidentally picked the wrong officer as my reward from the above mentioned mission. As such I'm wondering as to what sex and abilities the Alien Tactical Bridge Officer comes with so that I can buy him or her from the auction house. Thank you kindly for humouring my OCD.
Really don't worry, you'll get plenty of BOFFs later in your career, or you can directly buy them for merits at the right NPC on earth starbase. Don't fret about using merits: they have very few uses and you end up having so many merits that you could buy so many boffs that you could populate a small colony with them
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Let's keep three things straight here.

1> Rarity of BOs. Store-bought officers are all Common (white name, two Normal and two Basic skills). Then there are Uncommon (green name, one Basic and three Normal), Rare (blue name, two Normal, one Basic, and one Superior), and Very Rare (purple name, two Normal, two Superior). Very Rares start showing up in the mid-30s, although you can buy some off of the exchange well before that.
Besides just being different qualities of Traits, the rarer officers are more likely to have the rare "III" skills, although anything above a Common can have them. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on the specific skill.
Given this, you'll go through a few stages. You'll start off just needing warm bodies to fill the seats, and you'll take the strange combinations of traits and skills you are offered. Then, you'll start taking Uncommons and Rares for one simple reason: the Commons are pre-set for specific trait/skill combos, while anything higher is randomized. But in the end, you'll want only Very Rares, at least for your four away team members.

2> Merits and Bridge Officer skill points are uncapped. You might hit a few specific rough patches, but in the long term you'll have enough points to tweak these guys all you want. At max level, any time you would have earned normal skill points (the ones you'd spend on captain skills), you instead get the same amount of bridge officer skill points. So it doesn't take much to earn the points needed to completely rebuild an officer from the ground up.

3> But until you reach those higher levels, your best choice is to look on the Exchange. It's not hard to find decent Uncommon and Rare officers selling for tiny amounts (< 1000 credits), which is a great way to buy the rarer skills you need to tweak your officers. Credits are much easier to get than merits, and people earned dozens of Uncommon officers they had no intention of using for themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatzimaus View Post
Let's keep three things straight here.

1> Rarity of BOs. Store-bought officers are all Common (white name, two Normal and two Basic skills). Then there are Uncommon (green name, one Basic and three Normal), Rare (blue name, two Normal, one Basic, and one Superior), and Very Rare (purple name, two Normal, two Superior). Very Rares start showing up in the mid-30s, although you can buy some off of the exchange well before that.
Besides just being different qualities of Traits, the rarer officers are more likely to have the rare "III" skills, although anything above a Common can have them. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on the specific skill.
Given this, you'll go through a few stages. You'll start off just needing warm bodies to fill the seats, and you'll take the strange combinations of traits and skills you are offered. Then, you'll start taking Uncommons and Rares for one simple reason: the Commons are pre-set for specific trait/skill combos, while anything higher is randomized. But in the end, you'll want only Very Rares, at least for your four away team members.

2> Merits and Bridge Officer skill points are uncapped. You might hit a few specific rough patches, but in the long term you'll have enough points to tweak these guys all you want. At max level, any time you would have earned normal skill points (the ones you'd spend on captain skills), you instead get the same amount of bridge officer skill points. So it doesn't take much to earn the points needed to completely rebuild an officer from the ground up.

3> But until you reach those higher levels, your best choice is to look on the Exchange. It's not hard to find decent Uncommon and Rare officers selling for tiny amounts (< 1000 credits), which is a great way to buy the rarer skills you need to tweak your officers. Credits are much easier to get than merits, and people earned dozens of Uncommon officers they had no intention of using for themselves.
Overkill man... The OP just chose the wrong officer in one of those low level lieutenant missions that grant you one of your first three officers.