Lt. Commander
Just got in on a buddy key and wanted to say "Hi". What can i expect from the game and the community? I missed beta and am tight on cash so i want to try the game before i buy it. Your thoughts so far?

I wish i had a faster connection.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Welcome to STO!

Depending on your play style, you may or may not like it, just like any other game.

STO is the most casual-friendly I've seen. It's pretty consistent all the way up the levels in terms of difficulty and required play-time for advancement. Missions take about an hour, but you can quit in the middle and come back to it later. If you play the missions fairly diligently, it'll take about 30 hours per rank. It'll be longer if you do more than just pounding through missions, or less if you skip a lot of the optional content (like reading the mission text, or collecting data samples, using memory alpha, etc).

The community here is pretty good. It has its share of negativity, flames, etc, as with any other game forum. But there's also a good amount of constructive discussion going on as well.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2010, 12:44 PM
New flesh blood! *steals PopCornGamer's soul and will to play*

Sorry, I just rewatched "The Void" from S7 Voyager :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorngamer View Post
Just got in on a buddy key and wanted to say "Hi". What can i expect from the game and the community? I missed beta and am tight on cash so i want to try the game before i buy it. Your thoughts so far?

You have nothing good to espect after your 5 days who are enough to make all you can make actually in the game. The rest is repetitive and not original. Don't buy the game actually and wait 1 year to see where he is.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:

If your tight on cash, play the 5 days and don't buy. Use that money for your own health and such. Games are never more important then real life.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Run away from the forums as fast as you can!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Quote:

Best thing is to play and decide for yourself if you like it or not.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Game's a little unfinished at this point. If you enjoy your stay, don't feel guilty about waiting and purchasing the game in a few months. It may be a better product, then.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2010, 12:58 PM
I'll echo the "casual" aspect of the game. Being a working stiff with a family to maintain, I find it is incredibly easy to jump in to play for a few hours and jump out at a moment's notice. And you can find pretty much all the other aspects of an MMO in here too. The content at this point is not terribly deep, but they are working on it...hence the calls some people make to come back later and wait for it to flesh out a bit. Overall I enjoy the time I spend here (well, the game at least...the forums can be a madhouse).
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome. yes i will make my own decision after the 5 days but it is nice to get some player feedback both good and bad because i do not think i will get to see anywhere near the endgame so any thought on that would be appreciated.