Lt. Commander
List your favorite away team mix, with powers and why. I see a lot of discussion about space setups here but very little about ground groups.

Trying to build an away team able to effectively handle the borg ground groups in the admiral zones. So any help would be appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Bridge Officers:

Very Rare Female Betazoid Science:
Armor - Integrated Targeting MK X
Weapon - Polaron Assualt Energy Blast Expose AOE

- Higher perception, exposure duration and chance
- Increased team regeneration, lower threat generation
- Superior mental resistance
- Superior Creativity

Skill 1 - Tachyon Harmonic I
Skill 2 - Gravimetric Shift II
Skill 3 - Vascular Regeneration II
Skill 4 - Neural Neutralizer

Very Rare Female Betazoid Engineering:
Weapon - Phaser Assualt Energy Blast Expose AOE

- Superior Placate
- Superior Creativity

Skill 1 - Weapon Malfunction I
Skill 2 - Shield Recharge II
Skill 3 - Phaser Turret II
Skill 4 - Support Drone I

Very Rare Female Betazoid Tactical:
Weapon: Phaser Assualt Energy Blast Expose AOE

- Superior mental resistance
- Superior Creativity

Skill 1 - Focus Fire I
Skill 2 - Target Optics I
Skill 3 - Photon Grenade III
Skill 4 - Supression Fire III

Very Rare Female Andorian Tactical:
Weapon - Polaron High Density Exploit AOE

- Cold Resistance
- Higher perception, Exploit damage
- Higher threat generation, damage
- Superior Creativity

Skill 1 - Draw Fire I
Skill 2 - Target Optics I
Skill 3 - Photon Grenade IIi
Skill 4 - Overwatch II

--------

Working on breeding the x3 damage tribbles so I can have my away team fitted with them. At the moment they just have the Regen / Damage tribble.

Currently, I frequently get exposes and between me and my Andorian exploiter I can take out entire crowds of enemies in seconds. The polarons come with a natural weapon malfunction effect so I can stop enemies from firing back while the phasers have a chance to hold them.
Grenades shake up groups of enemies and suppression fire slows down any charging NPCs like swordmasters / Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-10-2010, 02:13 PM
It would help to know what class you are and what skills you can train your officers.
But let's say, you can't train any ground skills to your group, I can tell you the basic line-up, that I use:

(important skills underlined)

Science 1:
Medical Tricorder 1 + 2, Vascular Regenerator 2, Nanite Health Monitor

Engineer:
Recharge Shields 1 + 2, Phaser Turret, Support Drone

Tactical:
Photon Grenade, Target Optics, Plasma Grenade, Stun Grenade

Science 2:
Gravimetic Shift 1 + 2, Hyperonic Radiation 1 + 2 (or Stasis Field 2 and HR)

The root of science 2 works very well together his/her DoT and with the grenades of the tactical, you don't want the borg come close you and assimilate you.

As races I would love to have two humans and two bajorans for pure stats, but I am happy with my teams of various epics.

Two of them have split beam weapons, two single target. Two expose, two exploit.

(My tac uses a team of 4 epic ferengis, they all use exploit weapons and have expose skills, but that is no common line-up, I guess.)
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Why Betazoids? Their Empathy bonus doesn't even work while you're in combat.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-12-2010, 01:50 AM
Initially I went for a balanced away team (I found Grav Shift & Plasma Grenade was an effective combo), but lately Ive been going for 'all same career' away teams.

Ive not (yet) got a Science character to try an all Sci away team, but the all Eng/Tac away teams work really well.

Engineering Away Team:
x2 Shield Recharge
x2 Weapon Malfunction
x4 Turrets
x4 Mines
x4 Drones

BOF Races & Traits/Gear: I tried this at RA5, and gave no consideration to these. BOFs are all common and so is their gear (mk 9/10 store brought).

Gameplay: Basically with the AI's fondness to go after turrets, thats where I lay the minefield I dont worry about expose/exploit tactics with this team, just concentrate fire and mobs just melt away - most of the time no matter where a mob is, something is getting the bonus flanking damage.

Tactical Away Team:
x4 Focus Fire
x2 Supressing Fire
x2 Fire on My Mark
x4 Target Optics
x4 Overwatch

BOF Races & Traits/Gear: I gave some consideration this time lol. All are Alien (rarity-blue), brought cheaply on the exchange for their ground traits. As Im still levelling my Tac char (current rank is captain, so havnt fought the borg as yet) I just pass gear down as I get it from mission rewards/drops to the BOFs, but they are equipped with exploit weapons.

Gameplay: In game I dont like beam weapons, so I run with Pulse Rifle/Full Auto assault, between that and the Target optics x5 something is normally disintegrated in the opening volley

This team does utilse the expose/exploit tactic alot. Overwatch provides another way to expose enemys and the stacking damage resist is nice too.

Comparing the two away teams (from my experience), the Eng team will kill groups consistently faster than the Tac team, but depending on how many mobs get exposed/exploited the Tac team can kill a group the fastest.

Playstyles are completely different, but both really enjoyable.

As a Tac captain I have found myself investing alot more skill points in ground skills - typically ones that improve weapon damage.

Oh, I put the Tac team together when my char was Com1, which didnt leave me enough merits to promote everybody lol. The Tac team was running around with just focus fire for a couple of levels