Lt. Commander
The texture resolution on things in this game like consoles, maps, walls and ceilings isn't very good. Quite the opposite in fact. The blocky look of the textures is actually quite horrible. Get close to a computer terminal, or zoom in on the map and they look like an ugly mess.

Please sort that out with some higher-res textures Cryptic.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Ryster- its not gonna happen. If it involves any kind of major design or implementation it simply wont happen. Your talking about the basics here and they are still chasing down bugs. The dont care, otherwise it would have been included from the start but they rehashed their Champions Engine which probably didnt have hires textures.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2010, 03:40 PM
You're probably right. So much of this games seems like an old game that got re-hashed, however the optimist in me hopes otherwise EVE Online introduced new higher-res textures for all of their objects a year or two ago, and it made the game look lovely and brand newagain. Clearly it can be done, I guess its just wether Cryptic deems the game important enough to put the effort in.

But walking up to a console and seeing a blocky mess on the display isn't really good and keeping you immersed. Also the thickness of the edges of the saucer sections of starships just looks wrong, especially the sovereign and galaxy classes.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Cryptic has stated that if it doesn't bring in more subs, it's not worth the development time. Regrettibly, this mantra probably includes new textures since they won't bring in any new players. I feel that such updates would help retain existing subscriptions and are worthy pursuits - if only I were the one in charge.

I have numerous updates I'd like to see, but am slowly resigning myself to the designs we have now.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragerx
Ryster- its not gonna happen. If it involves any kind of major design or implementation it simply wont happen. Your talking about the basics here and they are still chasing down bugs. The dont care, otherwise it would have been included from the start but they rehashed their Champions Engine which probably didnt have hires textures.
Um, not really. Any MMO can have better textures included down the line. Compare any MMO that's been out 2 or more years - with the exception of WoW - to it's launch, and you'll find a majority of them do have better textures.

It has nothing to do with the engine, anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I hate graphics *****s. The game looks fine. Yeah bump everything up so the game runs like crap on the machine I just purchased.

I get smooth game play with absolutely no lag or slowdown. Keep it the way it is.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaki
I hate graphics *****s. The game looks fine. Yeah bump everything up so the game runs like crap on the machine I just purchased.

I get smooth game play with absolutely no lag or slowdown. Keep it the way it is.
I think the graphics are fine, myself, but I don't doubt that, as time goes on, Cryptic will keep refining them. After all, there are places that definitely need some work, mostly ship/starbase interiors.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
The texture resolution on things in this game like consoles, maps, walls and ceilings isn't very good.
Can't verify this because I must play on lower settings for performance reasons but maybe the /renderscale command helps you. I use it to lower the gameworld resolution in systems with lag but the command can also be used to increase the resolution.

/renderscale 2

This command doubles the rendering resolution, you can also keybind it with /bind Key "renderscale 2"
/renderscale 1 is the standard. Try also other values like /renderscale 1.5
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Most of the textures look pretty decent to me, but then again I'm of the generation that thought flat, opaque polygons were new and awesome. And I still think going past the early examples of the Quake 3 and Unreal engines are resources that could be wasted on broader asset variety instead of pretty details. Get off my lawn!