Lt. Commander
# 21
03-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin_Raider View Post
Hi, have you had difficulty getting Windows Macros to work with Ctrl/Alt combos?
I use Vista voice recognition and a macro but i can only get it to work with basic single numbers.
I've tried all suggested input for Ctrl like {{CTRL}} but no luck.

I tried espeaking too but the program never closes properly for me so i can't use it.

P.S. it is great fun to use. If your not already trying voice, give it a go.
I just changed the keybinds to unused keys in space combat.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-10-2010, 05:57 PM
This is pretty awesome. I've always had a problem with the program not recognizing my speech pattern though. Does the built-in program in Windows 7 have a "learning" ability like other programs do?

(I wish would have a section where posts like these could be moved and stickied or be able to rate up posts like this so they stay on top of the pile. Instead it'll just slide off the front page while other ancient stickies linger at the top of page 1 )
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-10-2010, 06:36 PM
There are a couple things you can do to improve the speech recognition for your voice.

First there are a couple scripted reads in the speech tutorials. I strongly suggest you do both of them. It is reading a series of sentances which helps train the software to your voice.

Second, use the speech dictionary and add the phrases you use for voice commands, and also record your pronunciation of that phrase. I did it for each of my commands and almost always it recognises the command and almost never get a false command.

If you are using Win 7 like I am, right click on the speech widget to get the menu.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsume
There are a couple things you can do to improve the speech recognition for your voice.

First there are a couple scripted reads in the speech tutorials. I strongly suggest you do both of them. It is reading a series of sentances which helps train the software to your voice.

Second, use the speech dictionary and add the phrases you use for voice commands, and also record your pronunciation of that phrase. I did it for each of my commands and almost always it recognises the command and almost never get a false command.

If you are using Win 7 like I am, right click on the speech widget to get the menu.
I'll give this a try! Thanks!

Lt. Commander
# 25
03-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Here is an easy guide to set up your Voice Commands for Windows 7 and Vista

Works best using a headset microphone.

1) Click Start Button

2) Type in Speech Recognition

3) look in list in top of search button window and click on Speech Recognition Software.

4) Set up Microphone using setup application, at end, ignore message about Unable to hear you.

5) In the docked application at top of screen, right click Microphone and go to Configuration > Improve Voice Recognition

6) Run Improve Voice Recognition 3 times

7) Download and install Windows Speech Recognition Macros Software (Free)

8) Once you install and launch Windows Speech Recognition Macros, right click tray icon and select "New Speech Macro"

9) Click on Send Keystrokes

10) In top box, type in what you want to say, such as "Alpha" for Attack Pattern Alpha. Do not use " marks.

11) in bottom box, assign corresponding hotkey for Attack Pattern Alpha, for example, in my hotbar slot, I have the Attack Pattern Aplha in slot for button 6, so I put in 6 for the macro to keypress.

***NOTE*** In game, Speech Recognition Macros has a hard time with {Shift}, {Ctrl}, and {Alt} keys, as such, you may want to alter in game keybinds to separate keys. Example.. by default 1-0 has 2 keybinds set by default 1-0 and Numpad 1-0.. You can erase the Numpad 1-0 and reassign them for the Ctrl or Alt 1-0 commands, also some keys are not used in combat like B, N, G, H, T, Y which can also be used to reassing Ctrl and Alt 1-0 in the game keybings section.****

12) To get the game to respond back to your commands, a little editing of the Macros are needed.

a) Open C:/Users/<Username>/Documents/Speech Macros folder

b) Right click a file in the folder and select Open With, In the box you will see Speech Recognition Macros as default program.. click the \/ button on the right side of window

c) Click Notepad from the list of programs

d) Uncheck the checkbox at bottom of window that states "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

e) Click OK

In notepad, you will see the top of the file that says (Using my Attack Pattern Aplha macro for example

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<speechMacros>
<command>
<listenFor>Alpha</listenFor>
<sendKeys>6</sendKeys>
</command>

Edit file to read

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<speechMacros>
<command>
<listenFor>Alpha</listenFor>
<sendKeys>6</sendKeys>
<speak>
Pattern Alpha.
</speak>

</command>

Where it says Pattern Alpha is the text you change for each macro as this is the response the computer will give back to you.

f) After doing the first Macro, close Notepad, this will prompt to save, say Yes

g) Since you have already edited 1 Macro file, just right click the next file, mouse over "Open With" and just click Notepad.

When done, you will need to close Windows Speech Recognition Macros from the system tray and relaunch the program for your Macro Edits to take effect.

Now in game, you can say "Alpha", the Macro will engage keypress 6 to trigger Attack pattern Alpha and the Computer will respons with "Pattern Alpha".

without editing for adding the speech playback, setup takes all of 35 to 40 min and can make the game 90% voice activated, including shields, engines, weapons, buffs, Hailing Starfleet, Galaxy map, Fleet window, etc..

Adding Copmputer responses adds to the set up time by however fast you can type.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-10-2010, 07:02 PM
We have an two established methods working for voice command game play over in the Controls and interface feedback section.
Check here for more details.
The free way.

And the simple way.

Difference is free way "listens" to everything you say and will launch other apps over the top of you game.

And the simple way only listens for the command you input and will accept the function keys as modifiers, but cost $8.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax63 View Post
We have an two established methods working for voice command game play over in the Controls and interface feedback section.
Check here for more details.
The free way.

And the simple way.

Difference is free way "listens" to everything you say and will launch other apps over the top of you game.

And the simple way only listens for the command you input and will accept the function keys as modifiers, but cost $8.
Well, using the Speech Recognition Macros program overrides the default command list for Speech Recognition..as such, programs popping up while playing is non issue..

to reinforce that, make a hotkey to turn the Speech recognition software from on to Sleeping. that way it won't confuse words when using Teamspeak or Vent while running Voice Commands in game.

But if you like spending money for 0 gain benefit over a free method.. all the more power to ya.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
Well, using the Speech Recognition Macros program overrides the default command list for Speech Recognition..as such, programs popping up while playing is non issue..

to reinforce that, make a hotkey to turn the Speech recognition software from on to Sleeping. that way it won't confuse words when using Teamspeak or Vent while running Voice Commands in game.

But if you like spending money for 0 gain benefit over a free method.. all the more power to ya.
I did not know that there was a method to over come the always listening windows speech recognition software. How is this being done? And has there been a workaround for using the function keys?
I do like free better.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Ok, I got this mostly working(can engage engines, re-route power to various shields, fire torpedos, etc), so thanks to everyone for the advice.

I'm running into a problem, though. The lack of direct triggering commands(like /abandon_ship or whatever) is killing me, as I am facing having to remap pretty much everything due to the alt/ctrl keys firing both the alt combo and the regular key, which makes them useless. I don't want to remap every default key, though.

And way to force it win 7's speech recognizer to send the correct keys?
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax63 View Post
I did not know that there was a method to over come the always listening windows speech recognition software. How is this being done? And has there been a workaround for using the function keys?
I do like free better.
Speech Recognition is it's own program with its own commands, however when you launch Speech recognition Macros software, the defaults are negated in the original program since the system is now Listening for specific words.

Now if you are chatting on Vent, Teamspeak, or IRL to someone with the Speech Recognition Macros actively listening, then you run into rare isues of your abilities going off randomly as the Macro's are Litening to what you say while trying to Best match what you say to a command.. someitmes it will pop up a Help menu once ina while, which is why I state to hotkey the ON and Sleep modes of Speech Recognition to avoid this problem..

During normal game play, you are pretty much going to stick with using just your commands for the game, as such, no other programs will open up.. the Speech recognition software isn't looking for System commands with the Macros software running, it is only listening for the key words in the macros.

Function Keys, I usually set them in the macros using the {f1} syntax and they work fine.
Closed Thread