Lt. Commander
# 1 Humorous take on real life PVP
03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
When gamers go to war...

"Sir, the enemy is using the roadside bomb exploit!"
"The Army is too OP, they need to be nerfed!!"
"NATO has been called in to the enemies side because they feel that the war needs to be balanced"
"ZOMG!! That sniper shot me through the wall!! This is not working as intended, NERF THEM!!"
"The developers of the War on Terror are idiots! That's it! I am canceling my sub to the war!!"

What I half expect to hear with new recruits

"Where do the enemies spawn so we can camp them"
"Can I get power leveled to general?"
"I just tea-bagged the enemy, why am I getting court marshaled?"

I guess what I am trying to say is this: Real life war doesn't have balance. Why should a game?

Discuss, respectfully.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-10-2010, 10:08 AM
I guess the simple answer is that real wars are not meant to be fun; while games are.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manx View Post
I guess the simple answer is that real wars are not meant to be fun; while games are.
I do not like even battles. I like challenges. Two teams, perfectly even, will be 50/50, almost every time. What fun is that? I want to have to fight and work for my victories, not have someone dictate what "fair" is. RL is not fair, war is not fair.

I have been in wars...no, they are not fun, but you learn a lot about life from them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
I do not like even battles. I like challenges. Two teams, perfectly even, will be 50/50, almost every time. What fun is that? I want to have to fight and work for my victories, not have someone dictate what "fair" is. RL is not fair, war is not fair.

I have been in wars...no, they are not fun, but you learn a lot about life from them.
mirror matches, in a nutshell, show that the better player will win 90% of the time, because once all the variables have been flattened out only skill matters. That is my ideal PvP, the better player/team winning without having to resort to gimmicks, bugged/op skills, etc.

"and I heard there are no respawns in RL... what if I get lag?"
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Quote:

But that is the challenge; overcoming other players without exploiting any ludicrously unfair advantages.

Besides, if proper balance is ever achieved it can only make things more interesting; as a greater variety of different approaches to the game will be equally valid.

Having said that, I doubt that 'proper balance' can ever really be achieved in any game; but the closer we can get to it, the better.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
But that is the challenge; overcoming other players without exploiting any ludicrously unfair advantages.

Besides, if proper balance is ever achieved it can only make things more interesting; as a greater variety of different approaches to the game will be equally valid.

Having said that, I doubt that 'proper balance' can ever really be achieved in any game; but the closer we can get to it, the better.
guild wars would like to say hi (it's kind of drifted away in the past year though)
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-10-2010, 10:38 AM
You dont see much skill in pvp nowadays. Maybe in CaH but cracked planetoid its horrible thanks to queues. Klingon team just rushes to fed spawn location and annihilaties anyone entering, thus spliting the feds and giving them no chance to fight back.

The most sad thing about it is, that many klingons know how it work and dont look for challenge, just grief the feds. Only occassionaly i have seen klingons really waiting up for whole fed team before start and telling that in zone chat and i truly respect those players.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:

Follow simple naturallaws in your modeling and it balances it out fr you...why? because everything has a cost(not financial, but energy, waste, heat, wear and tear, etc) and as long as no side as a "economic/resource" or tech advanatge over the other, you cant build out the checks and balances imposed by nature.

Once you start making things almsot "magically" you lose sight of balance because you ineviatbly fixate on the advanatage/bonus...frequently forgetting to consider its costs. Thats why so many of STO skills are just all boost, no trade off.

It creates run away uber, because it was designd with the foresight of a 7 year old. If you let them, a kid will eat nothing but cookies all day, every day....with experience, insight, wisdom and maturity does one(generally older) impose the proper balances in a child's diet. Because unchecked, you'll eventually have to nerf their fat asses!

No honestly, Im not trying to necessarily say the devs or the community are immature...what Im saying is that both are being led or playing into the less critical, less thoughtful side of us, basically appealing to a more primal and short-sighted drive in us all. But just like cookies are always great in the now...you have to be able to sustain smething worthwhile with something much more substantial or you evetually seed your own demise from the inside.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:

You learn alot more about life from going on a Walkabout.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
Follow simple naturallaws in your modeling and it balances it out fr you...why? because everything has a cost(not financial, but energy, waste, heat, wear and tear, etc) and as long as no side as a "economic/resource" or tech advanatge over the other, you cant build out the checks and balances imposed by nature.

Once you start making things almsot "magically" you lose sight of balance because you ineviatbly fixate on the advanatage/bonus...frequently forgetting to consider its costs. Thats why so many of STO skills are just all boost, no trade off.

It creates run away uber, because it was designd with the foresight of a 7 year old. If you let them, a kid will eat nothing but cookies all day, every day....with experience, insight, wisdom and maturity does one(generally older) impose the proper balances in a child's diet. Because unchecked, you'll eventually have to nerf their fat asses!

No honestly, Im not trying to necessarily say the devs or the community are immature...what Im saying is that both are being led or playing into the less critical, less thoughtful side of us, basically appealing to a more primal and short-sighted drive in us all. But just like cookies are always great in the now...you have to be able to sustain smething worthwhile with something much more substantial or you evetually seed your own demise from the inside.
If you are saying that every advantage needs an equally large disadvantage, then I suppose I agree. If you aren't, then... I really have no idea what you are trying to say