Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
03-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
I guess what I am trying to say is this: Real life war doesn't have balance. Why should a game?
As military personnel, you should already know the answer:

It depends on the game.

EDIT: More accurately, it depends on the rules of the game.

War games, as exercised by most militaries, are meant to be accurate simulations of real-world warfare, both symmetric ('balanced') and asymmetric, conventional and unconventional.

Most consumer (public) games are not meant to be as accurate or realistic as war games because of the consumer demographics. Most paying customers (who are paying for entertainment, rather than life-or-death) would rather have a taste of simulated war while still being rewarded for participating. Whereas in real, the consequences for losing are far harsher.

So your question should really be, what is PVP in Star Trek Online meant to be: a war game simulator, or something else?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
03-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post


"I just tea-bagged the enemy, why am I getting court marshaled?"


I guess what I am trying to say is this: Real life war doesn't have balance. Why should a game?

Discuss, respectfully.
i lolled IRL

but as many others have stated games are for the purpose entertainment and some level of immersion

wars although immersive are not fun. and i really dont think there is any more to say about that, so allow me to be so arrogant as to do this

[/discussion]
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
03-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
I guess what I am trying to say is this: Real life war doesn't have balance. Why should a game?
Because games are meant to be fun for all players, not just the ones who have all the advantages.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
03-10-2010, 11:09 AM
And...RL sucks, which is exactly why we play other games.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
03-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordTareq View Post
You learn alot more about life from going on a Walkabout.
You can wander all you like, but only when faced with your own mortality and have to make a choice between self-preservation and the preservation of another life, will you ever find out who you really are.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
03-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I agree with you, RL is not always fair, we play games to escape real life, but I still agree, games shouldn't be easy. Even though it is sometimes long and boring or hard, I'd rather have a tough time and beat it than the easy way out.
Unfortunately, our society is becoming too fair...everyone gets a trophy,, gee isn't that nice...our team sucked, we didn't care we still got a trophy, teaching us life is fair and the whole world should cater to my needs....sigh...
End rant.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
03-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
You can wander all you like, but only when faced with your own mortality and have to make a choice between self-preservation and the preservation of another life, will you ever find out who you really are.
It sounds like you want consequences for actions/decisions, which is a separate but related issue.

If/when we have death penalties for PVP, then balance becomes a larger concern. And again, the reason why balance becomes a concern in this game is that both sides pay equally for entertainment, so both sides' customers expect an equal potential or chance to succeed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
03-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothnang
Because games are meant to be fun for all players, not just the ones who have all the advantages.
Anyone who knows me will tell you that I do not look for the most OP combo in the game. I started with a BoP because I was in love with them from the shows and movies. I quickly tired of this because I do feel that they have distinct advantage, when in the right hands and with the right loadout. However, they became the norm, so I switched to Cruiser.

Everyone was crying that Beams were worthless, and that Battle Cloak was OP. So I made a beam boat cruiser. I have been fairly successful. Not as much DPS as I was getting in a BoP, but that was an easy trade for sheer hull...which is still less than a fed Cruiser.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
03-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post

I guess what I am trying to say is this: Real life war doesn't have balance. Why should a game?

Discuss, respectfully.
Personally, I donít like balance. When everyone is the same its boring. I much rather play when a class is OP and ( hereís the trick) they have a counter class. That is, if there are 4 classes in a game, you are OP to 2 of them and prey to the other.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
03-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
It sounds like you want consequences for actions/decisions, which is a separate but related issue.

If/when we have death penalties for PVP, then balance becomes a larger concern. And again, the reason why balance becomes a concern in this game is that both sides pay equally for entertainment, so both sides' customers expect an equal potential or chance to succeed.
I disagree. The only things that I feel that should be changed are the no-skill skills. The biggest I can think of is SNB and VM spamming.

I wouldn't care if they were a once per battle thing, but getting nailed with them 3 times in a row because the other side has 3 science guys, is just ridiculous. I used my 2 sci teams to counter the first 2 vm's, but got hit with a 3rd snb and vm right after that. Nobody can tank that long. All I ask for is a 3 min immunity following getting nailed with them. Spread the love around a bit.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:46 AM.