Lt. Commander
# 1 Game Crash- Pilatus System.
03-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Every time I try to enter the Pilatus System while doing the "By Any Means" mission my game locks up and am unable to make it back to my desktop to see what the error is. My only option is to do a hard shutdown and restart my pc. I've been able to enter other systems with no problem. Anyone else experienceing this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Bumping for bumps sake.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2010, 05:02 AM
Still Crashing now cannot even enter the game now with my main character doing the mission in the "Great Bloom". Error that I was able to pull up keeps saying "Wrong number of bytes" and then gives a bunch of file references.

Both missions I have had this crash on came from the same giver, cannot remember her name.

I reinstalled the game and made another character and it zoned in just fine, but I am unable to zone in with my main.

Please give me some f'ning clue as to solve this before I solve my billing issue I have with a nonplayable game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Have you tried to delete and regain the missions before entering the system?
You could also try to lower all graphic settings to minimum before entering the system (try also lower resolution).
Try also to reset all your controls before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope-Slayer View Post
I reinstalled the game and made another character and it zoned in just fine, .
Into the same missions or only into the game?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-12-2010, 06:19 AM
I have tried everything, lowered settings, hard drive scans, reinstall, repatch.

Made a Klingon toon, game loaded just fine. Federation side game crashes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Hm, but you can't enter with a Klingon the Pilatus System. Can you still play with your Fed outside of the two systems or not? It's btw. not necessary to make this 2 missions for progressing. Quest rewards are also not important.
Have you maybe used this unsupported respec command which was disabled in the meanwhile?
When you had reinstalled the game have you just overwritten the old installation? Could maybe help to delete the files in the cache folder insdie the game folder.

In the pilatus system a kind of fog is used, this does not occur when simply entering the game with a klingon, so it could be a problem with your graphic driver because of the fog effect.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-12-2010, 11:25 AM
I can't load a Federation side toon without it crashing, it is simular to the decompressing error I keep see listed by others. Three different areas of the game are causing this crash now. Earth Stardock, Great Bloom and Pilatus System.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Hm, ok I understand this as you can basically enter the game with your fed and play but if you enter certain places the game crashes. Like I said before Pilatus and Great Bloom are zones with graphic effects which are not used anywhere (earth stardock is another thing).

It's always hard to make remote diagnosis but I still think it's a driver problem. I read also this "decompressing error" could be a Windows 7 issue.

Best advice I can give you is to try out new or different drivers for your sound and graphic card (newest drivers are not always the best).

Personally I still use Winsows XP which is very robust compared to the relatively new Windows 7 so I have no experience with this type of bugs.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-12-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm on XP aswell. I'm going to try and reinstall drivers for my vid card and updating DX just incase but I have not had any problems with this game like you except up until I made the inital post. I think it's more of an issue related to the last patch , not on my end in general.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I would also recommend submitting a Tech Support ticket over at http://www.startrekonline.com/support/tickets

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! Since this seems more like a technical issue, I'm going to be moving it over to the PC & Technical Issues forum. They're generally really helpful with troubleshooting.