Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Im somewhat new to the game, I bought it about 2 weeks ago and decided to play out my fed character to RA5 before jumping over to a Klingon character. This occured 2-3 days ago, and after two days of playing as a Klingon I wish to humbly offer my feedback to any who will listen.

My biggest issue is the concept. From what I've heard, Klingons were conceptualized as a "pure PvP" race. This seems the only logical conclusion assuming the utter lack of missions other than PvP. If this is the case, however, It needs to be drastically redone. Some will complain about the one side or another being stronger, and Ive found that with proper tactics neither side is so much stronger as to render them unplayable. However, the main problem is this: The Klingons are so much harder to rank up that it creates numbers problems. Any Fed RA can tell you they outnumber the klingons anywhere from 10 to 1 to approaching 100 to 1 in the queue lines. Similarly, When you are a Lt, the Klingons typically outnumber Feds in PvP queues by anywhere from 10 to 1 ranging to 20 to 1.

My Humble solution:

A lot of people will cry out for more content for Klingons. This would be nice and all, but I realize how much time/work it would take on the part of the developers and I believe this would fix it much quicker. Make the "expanse" missions worth much greater mission reward, therefore with a reasonable but not overwhelming effort, one could boost themselves to a higher rank more easily, thus taking those Klingons that are concentrated in the Lt and Lt Cmdr ranks and moving them up into the higher ranks where the PvP action is sadly missing. This would help to relieve the pressures on the number differences at all ranks and be a good fix-gap while developers work on more Klingon content.

Trek On!

-Ed
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
03-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Cap_10,

Your assessment seems spot on with many regarding the Klingons. Before beta, in beta, approaching release.. We beg'd Cryptic not to implement the klingons as a 'monsterplay' idea. We asked to ship as Federation only and finish our content.. But what the fan's want is not what Cryptic was allowed to do.

They had a release date given to them, or they would have lost the rights. And a one Faction launch was not getting the interest they were comfortable going with.

Hence the 45 day patch adding much of what should have been in at launch, but just quite didn't make it. Now granted it's comming to late for many, and adding the Fed v Fed pvp, which does nothing to help the Klingon Fed PvP issues currently. Still it's a step to fix the sad state of red-headded step child feel that is Klingon game play.

In my opinion, Cryptic needs to think outside the 'Arena' que to help the gameplay.. Make the neutral zone the Neutral zone. You enter, and become the enemy signal contact. Add fleet encounters. One issue my, and I'm sure many fleets are facing is level differences to grouping. Why can't a few Lt Cdr's fly escort for a Rear Admiral? Don't we have an escort class for this?

Add, or implement a fleet action zone between Granalda station, an K-7 that different ranks players can 'choose' to enter, not que from away.. you fly there and fight for control in the Neutral zone.

This would allow fleets to form up groups to learn how to work together.. not the 'Oh your a Lt10, well go play in the Khaless expanse' we currently experience. It would also fix some que issues of how players que for multiple arenas, and hold up others waiting to enter, because they are afk with the engage count down timer clicking.

Cryptic has said they want consentual PvP, and that they don't want Fed fleet's parked over Qo'nos, or Negh'Vars chasing the little nublets about Sol.. that's fine. I think the arena option currently in place needs more. Adding open battle zones between K-7 and Granalda, or a new NPC to offer a mission instance zone at those locations is a thought.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-09-2010, 02:54 PM
We used to get much more exp for pvp. It was nerfed into the ground. The nebula's and expanses are just copies of each other with different ships. They are boring. Yes increase the exp 10 or 100 fold please until there is some real content.

T1 there were no feds to fight even during prime USA time. Puzzling or alarming, or both. Either nobody new is buying the game or low level feds are not into pvp.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the warrior's side.
I played Klingon knowing full well it was pretty much PvP, and I really stay away from pure PvP games because they don't seem to offer tactics, skill or anything other than button mashing...this is only my opinion and lack of twitch skills.
I love playing this, especially the Klingon side as it offers more skill, planning and quick thinking (granted, there is some button mashing involved), since I played the Star Fleet Command series, I have an understanding of how the ships work (I know, SFC is 2-D, but the shield management and some other things transfered nicely).
I do agree, it would be nice to gt some better drops, but the grind is the grind....long and sometimes boring (join up with a few folks and it livens it up nicely).
If you want a faster leveling experience, PvP is the way to go. Not only does continue to teach me what to do and what not to do, but I find the change of pace refreshing, the thrill of the hunt edgy and over all fun, especially if I am in a group that works well together. We can turn a losing match from 0-5 to 15-5 or 15-14....I love it.
Some more PvE would be nice or at least more PvP maps or different "plots" with rewards might be a good start.
Well, I have totally lost my train of though and had a few other things to say but am at a loss now.
If you join a fleet that helps too.
Enjoy the game! I'm sure I will see you on the battlefield.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
03-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Klingons being a PVP focused faction is great but it sucks when the PVP experience is so limited. In T5 you pretty much end up playing the vast majority of matches on cracked planet with a few capture and holds thrown in. You do this over and over and it gets incredibly boring. There is no achievements to unlock, gear to earn, ladders to climb, zones or wars to be won.....there is nothing besides a monthly subscription fee.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
03-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorFury View Post
Klingons being a PVP focused faction is great but it sucks when the PVP experience is so limited. In T5 you pretty much end up playing the vast majority of matches on cracked planet with a few capture and holds thrown in. You do this over and over and it gets incredibly boring. There is no achievements to unlock, gear to earn, ladders to climb, zones or wars to be won.....there is nothing besides a monthly subscription fee.
Single player game as an MMO = fail...just ask that other game that failed right out the gate doing the same thing...

Hellgate suckdone?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
03-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_10_Ed View Post
Any Fed RA can tell you they outnumber the klingons anywhere from 10 to 1 to approaching 100 to 1 in the queue lines. Similarly, When you are a Lt, the Klingons typically outnumber Feds in PvP queues by anywhere from 10 to 1 ranging to 20 to 1.
I'm similar to you - Fed up to RA5, now rolling a Klingon. I only got into PvP at Captain level, just to try it out. Since the Feds don't need to do PvP while they level up, they can simply ignore it. I am sure part of the reason Feds avoid it is all the horror stories of how unwinnable it is.

All that changes once Feds become RA. Then PvP is the only way to get rewards, and why you see the queues so lopsided. As for why there are so few Klingons in RA PvP I'm not sure. Is it because there are just fewer RA/BG Klingons, or they are all playing Infected, or what?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.S.Krieger
I'm similar to you - Fed up to RA5, now rolling a Klingon. I only got into PvP at Captain level, just to try it out. Since the Feds don't need to do PvP while they level up, they can simply ignore it. I am sure part of the reason Feds avoid it is all the horror stories of how unwinnable it is.

All that changes once Feds become RA. Then PvP is the only way to get rewards, and why you see the queues so lopsided. As for why there are so few Klingons in RA PvP I'm not sure. Is it because there are just fewer RA/BG Klingons, or they are all playing Infected, or what?
Level up to BG and you will understand why there are few T5s playing on our side. PvP is usually the end-game in most MMOs; but in here Klingons have to do 500+ PvP matches to level up. By the time we get to BG5 we PvPed our butt out, and there is now no point in doing it. My BG now logs in only for the daily, and than logs off. There simply is no point. Maps are the same as in T1, abilities are the same and we get nothing in return for PvPing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
03-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stig View Post
Level up to BG and you will understand why there are few T5s playing on our side. PvP is usually the end-game in most MMOs; but in here Klingons have to do 500+ PvP matches to level up. By the time we get to BG5 we PvPed our butt out, and there is now no point in doing it. My BG now logs in only for the daily, and than logs off. There simply is no point. Maps are the same as in T1, abilities are the same and we get nothing in return for PvPing.
Yeah, i love pvp, but even as a ltc9, i am getting bored with the same couple of maps over and over and over.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
03-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Welcome to Federation Online!

Klingons are here to provide challenging entertainment for Feds because, as we all know, there is ZERO challenge to STO PvE. The need for Klingons will disappear with FvF. The need to play Klingon will also disappear. Everyone that wants to be a Klingon can be a FEDERATION Klingon, they will get Fed PvE and they can PvP. At that point why submit yourself to the Klingon grind, just so you can fly the cool Klingon ships, wear "Klingon" clothing and get Tribbles to screach at you?

Maybe Cryptic wil give free memberships to Klingon only players or pay the incarcerated 50 cents an hour to play Klingon. That is what I see as the future of the Klingon faction.

But hey, maybe the mythical 45-day update will be all that and then some. Sure would be nice to win the lottery too.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 AM.