Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
Ok, this is a biggie, and I know it will not happen, but at least something for people and Cryptic to think about.

Personally, I would prefer a game that does not have any ability that removes control of your character from you. Abilities like Subnucleonic beam, and viral matrix. They are just a pain in the behind. I do not mind dying, that's fine, but dying when you cannot do anything but just watch all your buttons grayed out and your hull go down is simply frustrating.

I would prefer if those abilities where not there, or they had other effects. Stuff like jam sensors is fine, scramble sensors is cool, you can still counter them, or attack another player, or repair your ship meanwhile. But being hit with a VM, and then just watch your ship die without being able to do anything at all is just a recipe for frustration.

I know about science teams, I have 2 (a lvl 3 and lvl 2 sci teams), but sometimes they just do now work Or you get hit back to back, or a VM and then jam sensors, and nothing you can do but die.

I know it's late in the game to do so, but at least them for future reference, please do not make more abilities that just leave you dead in the water. A game should not have those kind of things. Just aggravating.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I'd prefer if these abilities 'limited' your control rather than simply shut you down completely. VM could even just do something like reverse your controls and randomly target an ally/enemy. It would still cause you problems but with a bit of skill you could get out in not so bad shape.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempeste
I'd prefer if these abilities 'limited' your control rather than simply shut you down completely. VM could even just do something like reverse your controls and randomly target an ally/enemy. It would still cause you problems but with a bit of skill you could get out in not so bad shape.
I like that idea.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempeste
Totally agree. Heck, VM can even be very crippling, like lower the damage you do by 95% for 20 seconds if you want. That's fine. But as long as you have control of your ship, you can do something, and not feel like dead weight.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah, but if they did that, then Cryptic wouldn't be cloning established game conventions. They would have to innovate a new concept, that of Crowd Limiting, rather than Crowd Control.

Innovation is bad. Cloning is good.

Ideas of what VM could do, in some combination of several (but probably not all) of these:

Give the target a massive penalty to-hit for a time.

Temporarily scramble the key bindings for a target's movement keys.

Reduce all power settings on a target, or randomize the power distribution.

Cause the target to randomly change targets every few seconds, but not changing who is enemy or ally.

Toggle the target's shields on and off every few seconds.

I'm sure there are more creative ideas that can be listed.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Brute force dps gameplay without any kind of crowd control is in my eyes the dumbest kind of gameplay.

If Cryptic ever goes this way I'm out and I guess many others too.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
OP - have you never been turn into a sheep?

Having some form of CC in pvp, that causes you to loose control of you character, is common in mmo's.

I find it unlikely it will ever be removed.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druuna
Brute force dps gameplay without any kind of crowd control is in my eyes the dumbest kind of gameplay.

Even the "brute force dps" in this game has a lot of room for finesse. And honestly CC makes the game much more dumbed down and simplistic since you no longer need to account for what your enemy might do to defend, attack, heal, or escape. It's not easy to manage your defenses so you hold out against three times your number, nor is it easy to just DPS down a target that knows how to defend itself.

Positioning and resource management mean *much* more in this game than in most MMOs, and those take a bit of skill. Which is what makes it so frustrating when you die during a "stunlock" like in other MMOs.

Quote:
OP - have you never been turn into a sheep?

Having some form of CC in pvp, that causes you to loose control of you character, is common in mmo's.

I find it unlikely it will ever be removed.
CC isn't much fun in those games either. And the effect on balance is such that classes are constantly either overpowered or underpowered depending on their CC and counter-CC abilities.

Personally I like the "strong debuff" idea much better, since that still leaves ways to work around it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Quote:

/ditto - 10/char
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Quote:

Having brute force DPS and the ability to completely shut people down for 30+ seconds isn't dumb to you?

Threads like this always bring out the facerollers.

CC's should either only target sub systems or break instantly on damage. Anything else is just easy mode crap to appease bad players.