Lt. Commander
# 1 Real Sensor Scan proposal
03-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Have you ever clicked the info button on enemy/ally reticules?

Horribly empty, aren't they?

Proposal:
Add "scanning" to the game STO.
Details:
This feature would allow players to gather intel on opposing ships. This is NOT limited to science ships or science captains. All players can do this. The kind of information that may be visible to players is(low, medium, high refer to level of investment in related stats to see that item):
  • Hull resists (low) (quantity of resists listed dependent on points invested)
  • Damage Resists (low)
  • Weapon damage type (low)
  • Kinds of weapons(Dual heavy cannon, torpedoes in the back) (medium)
  • Energy settings (high)
  • Crew numbers (small/medium)
  • Status of subsystems (medium)
  • Triggering of abilities and power changes (medium)
  • Current cooldowns on abilities (high)
  • Changes in any of the previous list items (high)

The amount of information and accuracy of the information would be affected by a player's points into Starship Operations Training, Starship Sensors, and Starship Sensor Arrays, like cloak detection.
In addition, the innate bonus a science-class ship has for sensors would apply as well.

The benefits of the points are on a diminishing returns scale. Small items are more likely to be A) detected and B) correct. The chance of inaccuracy starts off high, and is modified lower by the relevant stats, again, on a diminishing returns basis. A suggested minimal chance of inaccuracy would be 2.5%, while a suggested maximum chance of inaccuracy would be 25%.

Interface:
The interface for this feature can come in one of two forms, or optionally both forms(with toggles on and off by the player).

The first form would be on the info screen, available on the targeting reticule by clicking the little 'i' tab.

The second form, would be announced sensor readings, as seen on various episodes on various Star Trek series.
This would take the form of "Weapons powering up" when being targeted, "Power is being applied to shields", and so on.

Impact:
By allowing science ships to add their innate detection bonus to the scan, this provides support for a "sensor boat" role in pve and pvp. In addition, this would allow players to determine what abilities are being used on them when they have never seen it used on them before. The game also becomes more tactical, and allows people to respond to changes in the meta-game. One possible effect may be that players will carry multiple sets of weapons, and on seeing what the enemies resist, using the weapons which have the lowest resist.

Potential Negative Impact:
This could make the game more confusing for new players, as it creates more information for them to manage. In addition, it could make combat more trigger-oriented and less tactical.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I think this is a really good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2010, 12:21 PM
I like this, but i also think our ships computers should passively register information such as damage type, apparent shield strength, which would become more accurate the more ships we fought of one type.

The scan would save us alot of time, but shouldnt be mandatory imo in order for us to build a database of our opponents, much like in the shows.

and on a sidenote, Riker is in the forums finally! thanks to all who helped.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Bump. added more info to the first post.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Great idea....
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-11-2010, 01:19 PM
excellent idea..
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-11-2010, 01:26 PM
I love the idea! Good work, Z.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Great idea, this would put a whole new support class, even scouts and sensor boats. I myself roll heavy sensors, and would love to see this implemented i would be a heavy damage scout and more useful now than before when i just go poof and no info on enemies, now i grab info and can dash or fight.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I definatly agree that some changes to the scanning system would be nice. Properties of a target I would like to see:-

Power Levels (very relevant with sub-system targetting or energy drain abilities)
Crew Levels
Resistanaces

However, I would be fine with these using consoles to activate this skills (to make ship loadout more relevent) and then having your range from target alter as you have more skills effecting that console. For example, at 5km, you'd see the stats without buffs, but if you have skill points invested, you would be able to scan a ship from further away, eventually to a point where you are outside weapons range. You could always just have the console improve the stats, but I like the idea of having rarer consoles, or maybe even devices that have skills attached to them. So you could have each of the above properties attacjed to thier own consoles, so you'd need to pick with stat you want to see the most, or failing that equip multiple consoles/devices, if that makes sence?

On another note, i really think sensors should be more relevent in sector space, perhaps having a fog of war in sector space, with you visabity been effected my your science or ship skills, so your long range sensors work more effectivly. I'm stil hoping they add a ring around your ship in sector view with your ships bearing on it as well, so it looks more like a tactical overlay :-)
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Great idea!

My suggestion would be to tie this into your Aux power level also.
Higher Aux setting, more accurate (more accurate at long distance?) sensor readings.
Your Aux system goes offline, you're left without sensors until it comes back online.