Lt. Commander
Ok tonight I have had this issue for the third time in about two weeks.

I am playing STO on my new computer and I just start a space or ground battle and boom. My computer goes out. The screen goes dark the lights go off. The power button also goes dark.

At first I suspected that his was due to something in my computer. I scanned the disk. Checked my Windows 7 error logs. Even ran the major 3 hour diagnostic from Microsoft to find out that my machine just turned off because the power button was pushed. I didn't touch it.

Today I checked with my partner to see if his computer has simular problems. He has. He has also a new computer but different configuration then me. He however doesn't press the start button once his computer goes dead. He just waited and the computer and game come online after about two or three minutes.

It seems that my crashes are caused by me pressing the power button to restart my computer.

I am running a Acer Aspire 7738G Lap top with 4 gig DDR (Intel 2 Quad processor) Nvidiea Gefore GT 240 M Video card with Windows 7.

Please be aware that the specs of my partners computer are a little less them mine.

I am testing this critical issue. (AS a side note. I am not getting same effects from Champions Online, but I don't play it as much now -()

Please beaware and advice me if you have any input.

Thank you
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2010, 12:34 PM
if your computer overheats it will automaticaly shut down to prevent damage to your hardware. right now STO uses a bit more processing power than it should, causing some computers to overheat. try reducing your graphics settings for the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM
And turn off dynamic lighting under video options.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Ok
03-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Ok I have adjusted the settings like you suggested. Will see if i have over heating issues.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Can tell you it's not going to help.

Mine is doing the same identical thing and I KNOW mine is not overheating.

Mine can run literally any other application out there of my choice and will not do this, meaning it has to be STO that's causing it to initiate this "phantom shutdown".

This needs fixed in the client because quite frankly, cutting out like that in the middle of ground missions or space missions is not only frustrating as bloody screaming hell to me AND my partner, but over time this will slowly degrade windows and cause problems there.

This needs to go from being a problem on "our side" to being a problem on "Cryptic's side" and get them to FIX it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserrangr View Post
I am running a Acer Aspire 7738G Lap top with 4 gig DDR (Intel 2 Quad processor) Nvidiea Gefore GT 240 M Video card with Windows 7.
That would be the key to me, laptop with GT 240 GPU and a demanding game creating the overheating shutdown.

Check your BIOS for overheating or shutdown logs. Also see if there is a thermal protection threshold setting that tells the laptop to power down. I would not disable this BTW, you don't want to cause permanent damage to your laptop or cause a fire.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culann View Post
Can tell you it's not going to help.

Mine is doing the same identical thing and I KNOW mine is not overheating.

Mine can run literally any other application out there of my choice and will not do this, meaning it has to be STO that's causing it to initiate this "phantom shutdown".

This needs fixed in the client because quite frankly, cutting out like that in the middle of ground missions or space missions is not only frustrating as bloody screaming hell to me AND my partner, but over time this will slowly degrade windows and cause problems there.

This needs to go from being a problem on "our side" to being a problem on "Cryptic's side" and get them to FIX it.
Do you have a Acer Aspire 7738G Laptop when you say "mine"?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-12-2010, 08:17 AM
No..custom built rig. MSI Motherboard, Dual Core 2.75Ghz Intel Processor, Nvidia GTS 250 graphics card, 4GB Dual Channel RAM, SB Audigy Pro Platinum.

Totally different system than his and he said he was running Windows 7.

I'm running XP.

I'm going to hedge a guess since his graphics card and mine are fairly close to being the same that it's something Cryptic needs to address there because the first thing that occurs is that the screen "drops" as if the rig were shut off. My LCD monitor usually pops up the built in window saying "No Connection." just before my rig shuts down.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culann View Post
No..custom built rig. MSI Motherboard, Dual Core 2.75Ghz Intel Processor, Nvidia GTS 250 graphics card, 4GB Dual Channel RAM, SB Audigy Pro Platinum.
The OP has a laptop, they tend to overheat and have a power down protection. Please create a new thread for your desktop system issue.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighscott
The OP has a laptop, they tend to overheat and have a power down protection. Please create a new thread for your desktop system issue.
Laptops are not the only ones who have "power down protection." Neither are they the only type of machine that can overheat.

Second there's no reason whatsoever to create a new thread when the OP has the same identical problem as mine on what is obviously two completely different configurations.

Were it the same configuration, then I could see it being a issue with the configuration specifically, however this is not the case. Therefore it goes from being a simple issue of a particular machine configuration to something centric with the STO client. In what regards should be the question at this point. Graphics card? Soundcard?