Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Seriously. These pvp forums are crazy.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2010, 01:27 PM
STO: New Game Experience - due Oct 2010.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Yes they did..bunch of brain dead children that can't be bothered learning an unlimited skill system

SOLUTION:

CAP IT!

Tiny brains rejoiced they had a clear map to an end goal...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
Yes they did..bunch of brain dead children that can't be bothered learning an unlimited skill system

SOLUTION:

CAP IT!

Tiny brains rejoiced they had a clear map to an end goal...
Intresting Im from SWG and I came here due to the Skill system. Now where my Jedi skillz!!
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIMadman View Post
SWG pre-NGE skill system was the last most flexible system that this earth has seen...all the rest of the games have systems neatly packaged in to Classes.

That being said, STO is perceived as Sci-Fi game set in a Sci-Fi setting...magical spells and abilities that Stun Lock and Root Star Ships have no place in here.

Not even in SW universe can the Force (which maybe seen as magical in nature) be used to affect complete Space Ships...in Combat.

they use lasers, turbo lasers, Concussion and Proton Torpedoes and the Ships require Fuel and Life support systems like anywhere else in the Universe and its Laws of Physics.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
. . .

That being said, STO is perceived as Sci-Fi game set in a Sci-Fi setting...magical spells and abilities that Stun Lock and Root Star Ships have no place in here.

Not even in SW universe can the Force (which maybe seen as magical in nature) be used to affect complete Space Ships...in Combat.

they use lasers, turbo lasers, Concussion and Proton Torpedoes and the Ships require Fuel and Life support systems like anywhere else in the Universe and its Laws of Physics.
Bah, the laws of physics only apply when and where we want them to. The law of ST "cannon" is way more important than the laws of physics.

Space combat at 10 km or less because ________.

Your sniper rifle and pistol both have a range of 30 meters because ________.

Ships can't fly in a full loop or roll on their bow-stern axis because ________.

No more than 5 captains can join in a group because _______.

Don't let reality/realism interupt your MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-14-2010, 08:59 AM
This is eerie similar to the pre-CU SWG whining. Nerf rifleman HS3 is too powerful, nerf TKM KD/DIzzy is OP, nerf CM poisons are OP.

Now in STO. Nerf exposes they hit too hard, nerf VM it is OP, nerf carrier it is too big.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIMadman View Post
Obviously someone who hasn't been SubNuc'd or Jammed + Triple VM'd yet. lol
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STObee
Bah, the laws of physics only apply when and where we want them to. The law of ST "cannon" is way more important than the laws of physics.

Space combat at 10 km or less because ________.

Your sniper rifle and pistol both have a range of 30 meters because ________.

Ships can't fly in a full loop or roll on their bow-stern axis because ________.

No more than 5 captains can join in a group because _______.

Don't let reality/realism interupt your MMO.
Oh rest assured, I understand game play decisions, besides this is not exactly a SIM MMO either, if I wanted that I would be playing WWII Online, where you can shoot someone at 300m with a rifle, and 5 km with a Cannon. And the game will calculate ballistic trajectories armor penetration and angles of impact as well as possible ricochets.

However Star Trek itself, the IP has always been inspired by Real Physics, it is not for nothing that Real Physicians also use Star Trek to explain physics in an educative way.

Look it up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Physics_of_Star_Trek maybe you could learn something too.

The actual game play decision on ranges in STO are not a problem, I prefer seeing my target rather than shooting at ref X's like in EVE.

My point in relation of the Physics was simply to point out that the game does not have a Tactical Combat system worthy of Star Trek at this time in terms of the combat mechanics and how these are applied.

Tactical maneuvering and Positioning mean nothing at this time, power management means nothing at this time Shields and even hull strengths are reduced to quasi nothingness as well, when your shield go down in 1second and your hull in two, being unable to even turn and mitigate damage, while being rendered non existence with magical abilities which encourage a press 1 press 2 press 3 combo to defeat an enemy STAR SHIP. Reminds me more of Street Fighter and Mortal Combat rather than Star Trek. FATALITY!

All the talk and advertisement of STO's combat mechanics being tactical are not holding up to their advertised reputation at this time.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
Oh rest assured, I understand game play decisions, besides this is not exactly a SIM MMO either, if I wanted that I would be playing WWII Online, where you can shoot someone at 300m with a rifle, and 5 km with a Cannon. And the game will calculate ballistic trajectories armor penetration and angles of impact as well as possible ricochets.

However Star Trek itself, the IP has always been inspired by Real Physics, it is not for nothing that Real Physicians also use Star Trek to explain physics in an educative way.

Look it up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Physics_of_Star_Trek maybe you could learn something too.

The actual game play decision on ranges in STO are not a problem, I prefer seeing my target rather than shooting at ref X's like in EVE.

My point in relation of the Physics was simply to point out that the game does not have a Tactical Combat system worthy of Star Trek at this time in terms of the combat mechanics and how these are applied.

Tactical maneuvering and Positioning mean nothing at this time, power management means nothing at this time Shields and even hull strengths are reduced to quasi nothingness as well, when your shield go down in 1second and your hull in two, being unable to even turn and mitigate damage, while being rendered non existence with magical abilities which encourage a press 1 press 2 press 3 combo to defeat an enemy STAR SHIP. Reminds me more of Street Fighter and Mortal Combat rather than Star Trek. FATALITY!

All the talk and advertisement of STO's combat mechanics being tactical are not holding up to their advertised reputation at this time.
I played EVE from Beta to 2006..I have seen many changes in that game from my days in Curse Alliance and I always hated shooting at red Xs and I agree with your statement.

I also want to try and say something positive about the Old SWG players that are still bitter over the CU/NGE patchs and changes...but I really can't...other than to say..

You guys need to let that go. seriously!! Really? are you going to come to a new game and new company thats hosting it and complain that it ISN'T swg heavy? swg light?

I was a terror in EvE back in the day when I could fly Battleship Solos...deadly in fleet and gank squads...5 man gank squads...Ravan battleship was the king of pvp and they changed soo many times but I always made tactics and mod changes to keep up....I never complained about it....I didn't quit and cry for 6 or so years....

MOVE ON! GET OVER IT! Please so we don't have to listen to you guys whinning anymore....better yet go back and play SWG and harrass them on their forums...

good luck with that