Lt. Commander
# 1 Rank II skill at Ensign?
03-11-2010, 02:25 PM
My searches didn't come up with anything so...

Is it possible for a BOff to have a rank II skill at Ensign level? I'll presume that if it were, that it'd only show up on a rare/very rare BOff. Anyone seen this yet or know if the chances are even remotely possible?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Nope, I've never seen that since Head Start.

Honestly, Rare and Very Rare bridge officers don't have much going for them aside from Lieutenant commander or Commander powers you would like to have taught to your current officer roster.

The Ground traits are just... so minor they aren't worth the bother. I hear -some- bridge officers have space traits such as Efficient, but I've never seen them, personally, and I'm not even sure if my Amazon-obtained Borg's Efficient trait amount to much. It sure doesn't look like it thus far.

I know that if the 'II' powers would be able to show up ~lower~ that rare and very rare officers would look a lot more attractive (tons more, actually).
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I agree that rare/very rare BOff's are about as usefull as a normal BOff. I too have yet to find one with anything significant to offer. Maybe this is something the DEVs *hint hint wink wink* could consider to make them more appealing.

On a side note, we need more BOff Candidate slots.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l33td00d View Post
I agree that rare/very rare BOff's are about as usefull as a normal BOff. I too have yet to find one with anything significant to offer.
You need to look more closely.

First, the Traits. Every bridge officer has four traits, just like every captain. The first two of those will always be "Normal" traits, with the standard bonus that any captain could get for himself. Often, these two are the racial traits (unless it's an Alien, i.e. custom race).

For the remaining two, the traits come in three sizes: Basic (half-strength), Normal, and Superior (150% of normal).
Common (white) officers have two Basic traits.
Uncommon (green) officers have one Basic and one Normal.
Rare (blue) officers have one Basic and one Superior.
Very Rare (purple) have two Superior.

So, if you're going to use these officers on ground missions, it's important to have Very Rare officers, because it's the difference between a +2.5% to ranged damage (Basic Soldier) and +7.5% (Superior Soldier), and so on. This sort of thing can add up quickly; for instance, if the Telepathic trait adds one second to Expose durations, having an officer whose durations are 1.5 seconds longer instead of 0.5 is pretty noticeable.

Beyond that, there are the skills. Now, there are never any II skills at Ensign, because a II skill is always one tier higher than the I skill it's based on, and a III is two tiers above. (Exception: if the skill starts at tier 3, the II version will be at tier 4, and the III version... will also be at tier 4.)
Common officers only have I skills. Uncommons can have Is and IIs and might even have a single III. Rare officers have several IIs and IIIs. Very Rares will have even more. The catch is that you don't always WANT a II or a III skill, if it takes a slot used for a higher-tier I skill; I'd rather have Stun Grenade I than Smoke Grenade III, even though both are Commander skills.