Lt. Commander
# 21
03-13-2010, 03:41 AM
They could use the society of free borg from voyager as an excuse, as they are basically normal folks who happen to be borg and all live together.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-13-2010, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
did they say what race it was? it might just be the tellarites and caitians people are so in love with being added to the fed race roster
Tellarites are one of the new Federation playable species in Update 1.
http://www.startrekonline.com/season_one

The Fedrats are getting THREE new playable species, yet our promised Klingon Joined Trill is still "in development"!!!

Latest from the Path to 2409
The Klingon High Councel is taking suggestions for a new name for the Empire. So far we have:
  • The Nerfed Empire/Empire of Nerf
  • The Tablescraps Empire
  • The Empire of One
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Whats the point of a third faction when we really dont have a second faction.

My Bet will be Romulan (cardasian a second bet)
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael102 View Post
Whats the point of a third faction when we really dont have a second faction.
I strongly agree...
Before they start bringing new factions into the game, how about equalizing the Klingons to give them more (and more doesn't mean the 3-4 missions in the 45 day patch) content, missions etc. Maybe some missions where we too can pick up half the amount of items that drop for the Feds so we're not getting ripped off in the exchange, since that's the ONLY way Klingons can even get access to a lot of equipment.
Ya think Cryptic would have anticipated better the amount of players who would want to really develop a Klingon character instead of being just another Fed....
Unbelievable oversight on their part.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmaker01 View Post
...said a lot of good stuff.
That's a tough one. I know *I* would LOVE to see the Romulans - in fact once they pop I think Savok may be headed to the Disintegration Chambers, at least in spirit. However, I don't want to see the Romulans handled in an unmeaningful way as the Klingons pretty much are at this juncture. I'd like to see something unique with them that may really hinge on political manipulation or something. I think it would also require Cryptic to build some sort of meaningful-pvp system or something - where the major factions are conducting border manipulations - what the Klingons gain through conquest, the Federations gain through diplomacy, and the Romulans gain through manipulation. This may be beyond the scope of an MMO however. There is a TON of space behind established Federation space where the Klingon/Romulan territories can expand.

New factions are nice. I'd just really like to see the Empire more firmly established before throwing in another new kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwartz
Not to sound trollish, but the last thing I want to hear from the devs is that they're working on adding another faction when one of the two currently in game is pretty much dying a slow and painful death.
From my understanding, the way the development process works is that there is ALWAYS something in the works. As a very crude and simplistic illustration - you have three teams - Writers, Artists, Coders. Work is not concurrent or equal between all three teams. Perhaps Fed started first - writers focus on that, then pass up the chain to the artists and coders to complete. Writers are working on Klingon, while Artists work Klingon and Fed, and the Coders work Fed. Game releases, Fed is largely established with a few little projects to get done up, now it's time to art and code Klingon. Now the writers have a reduced work load - so work starts on a third faction. All we see is that Feds are largely established, and told work on the Klingons is happening, but the visibility on how all these teams interacts and where they stand in the development process is largely not understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBFLordKrueg View Post
Ya think Cryptic would have anticipated better the amount of players who would want to really develop a Klingon character instead of being just another Fed....
Unbelievable oversight on their part.
I don't think this is a true picture of what's happening at Cryptic. I think the game was just bigger than they could get completed in time, so they had to make some decisions with the "we'll iron out the rest en route". As far as I'm concerned, I see real effort being made here on their part to get it all done up right and I'm willing to bet they're as unsatisified with the current state as much as you are.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcurl
and Bill Roper, but it really doesn't offer anything news worthy .
and i hope to god it stays that way with this guy.

he managed to screw up Hellgate London, i'd hate to see him having any form of power over this game.

so hopefully he's just pushing papers...
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwartz
Not to sound trollish, but the last thing I want to hear from the devs is that they're working on adding another faction when one of the two currently in game is pretty much dying a slow and painful death.
You do understand the art of distraction ? To quell the populace of it's anger , they 've offered a morsal of distraction . It is a cheap and offensive attempt, to shift the conversation from the negative . On occasion, companies even higher people to start these conversations on the boards . Look this topic has already grown to 3 pages.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-13-2010, 10:01 AM
I would like it to be Cardassians but it will propably be Romulans, i just hope the Romulan BoP is altered to something less ghastly.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-13-2010, 10:36 AM
The 2nd faction so far isn't getting any new content they are getting the ability to play FED content and only the clusters, nebulas etc. Mindless grinding. I have seen nothing to indicate that there is any decent story line material in the works for KDF.

With that being the case they can add 10 new factions and give the exact same lack of real content fairly easily.

There is no way the new faction will be borg as that will mess up there story lines etc.

Cardassians are rebuilding after the war.

Romulans are homeless so a war would be good for them.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcurl
The only way Borg would work is if they were completely Monster Play like from LotRO. No levels, no missions, no BO's. They would just be a drone, after so many kills you get to go from spheres to cubes. That's the only way I could see it working. Anything else would just kill Borg immersion. And they better not even think of using the Borg faction lead by Hugh from TNG as an excuse!!! :p
We've worked out some in-depth player Borg models actually(search under my name, MajorD, etc or under the topic within the archive pages)...it can be more than monster play...but not as diverse or complex as Fed content. It would make for PvP oriented faction(not these queued PvP play dates we have now). With open PvP territory capture, some "randomly" generated PvE, and a descent Borg story arc, we could have a descent faction.

The key is translate the current game model into a way that applied to the Borg...once you realize the basic fundementals are the same from humanoid organisim, to complex humanoid social organisim to Borg/Collective singular organisim, then its easy to adapt the visual, presentation and interface to match a Borg/Collective experience.

In the end, all examples expand, grow, learn, acquire, consume, conflict with other groups, engage, push to instill their ideals.

No we wouldnt have Borg players playing as a Borg Drone, there is no Captain avatar, no BOs, no avatar at all to customize.

But we still get a ship, we still have an "away team" like contingent to operate for us on the ground, skills that can learned and acquired, ships to fly around, improvements and upgrades to made....its so do-able its ridiculous.