Lt. Commander
# 61
03-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Romulan makes sense.

Borg is absolutely impossible, unless it becomes more like Call of Duty FPS zerg meets Paranoia character disposability. So... actually that could work. To make it work, you are unable to name a borg, have inventory, nothing. You are simply a drone, and when you die, you respawn as a different, prefabricated drone?

I doubt we'd actually have much fun there, but I could see how it might work. feels more like Verses mode in Left 4 Dead, now that I think of it.

At any rate, Romulan makes sense. They are a "classic" TOS and TNG foe, and currently have no love for the Klingons either.

I still stand by my opinion that what we don't need is another cookie cutter faction, and insist the game would be better served by a Ferengi faction based entirely on trade and craft and latinum, but I am equally standing by my assessment that the idea, no matter how much it might help the game, will be drown out in a sea of demands for Romulan PCs. Perhaps I'll get my wish in a year or two when a 4th faction is released.
Lt. Commander
# 62
03-24-2010, 12:29 AM
By the way, for all Klingon fans out there I am pleased to copy-paste this quote over from the Engineering Reports, in case you weren't paying attention there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I've brought this up and we will evaluate to see if there's more we can do costume wise for Season Two. Right now those guys are on a big backlog and I can't give any firm confirmation on more Klingon outfits yet.

Additional faction work will not happen until we have more content delivered for the Klingon faction.
Good news in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnoh
I still stand by my opinion that what we don't need is another cookie cutter faction, and insist the game would be better served by a Ferengi faction based entirely on trade and craft and latinum, but I am equally standing by my assessment that the idea, no matter how much it might help the game, will be drown out in a sea of demands for Romulan PCs. Perhaps I'll get my wish in a year or two when a 4th faction is released.
I don't see Romulans as a cookie cutter race. I see them as potentially an entirely different playstyle, devoted to stealth, subtlety, generally not going around shooting. They're in a weakened position; you'd play to maximise your strikes and weaken your enemies. I liken it to the Thief game series, where you'd have missions where if you do your job right, nobody knew you were there.
Lt. Commander
# 63
03-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askarr
I don't see Romulans as a cookie cutter race. I see them as potentially an entirely different playstyle, devoted to stealth, subtlety, generally not going around shooting. They're in a weakened position; you'd play to maximise your strikes and weaken your enemies. I liken it to the Thief game series, where you'd have missions where if you do your job right, nobody knew you were there.
This could work. Unfortunately, the current state of the NPC Romulan's technology and capabilities in STO doesn't support that approach as being their current one. If anything, the Klingons have more stealth (cloaking).

The impression I take away from missions vrs the Romulans in STO leaves me with an impression they are a cross between Federation and Klingon. Proud, bureaucratic, aggressive, certainly far more reserved and duplicitous in their speech and motives than either, but they are just as capable of mounting sleek, powerful ships and weapons in brute force action.

Regardless, this isn't what I meant by "cookie cutter." I was more so inferring that they would represent yet another faction with the same basic goal and content as the current ones. To me, the only possible faction to not be a reheated rendition of the current would be Ferengi/Orion (simply because of the traders in STO) trade syndicate, where the goal is profit, not honor/merit/pride.
Lt. Commander
# 64
03-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STObee
Klingon PVE will be out by July? Where are you hearing this? How much PvE? July of which year?
Calendar. Front page of the website.

Quote:
The Klingon Empire is currently a dead man walking, and the 45-day update amounts to putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.
That sounds like a really good description of how Klingon medicine is supposed to work. Or did you think Klingon doctors were all Crusher-Pulaski-McCoy-like and used wimpy hyposprays?
Lt. Commander
# 65
03-25-2010, 05:08 AM
I gotta think that Romulans will be next, unless Cryptic wants to introduce a non-cloaking race before introducing another cloaking race. Then, I'd expect it to be the Cardassians, maybe with Ferengi also being playable. I actually kind of like the Ferengi Maurader ships.
Lt. Commander
# 66 it makes sense
03-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Everything's already there for romulans, ships planets, bodies, territory all they need now is some storyline and voice and were good to go. Personally cant wait.
Lt. Commander
# 67
03-25-2010, 02:07 PM
I would vote for the Romulans as well. It just makes sense. Borgs, well, too much overhead needed. Especially from a company that doesn't support the KDF atm anyway. All we need to have is Fed Online change to Borg Online as all the Trekkies immediately roll Borg and RP in general chat. ugh...I can do without that.

So the starting vessel for the poor Romulans is a ship built around a hugh plasma torp. Lol, uncloak, fire, watch Fed pop, recloak, repeat.

I agree with the comment that the clock is ticking for many on the KDF side. Sadly no one at Cryptic seems to care.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
MoonTemple - BG 5
Klingon Defense Forces
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Lt. Commander
# 68
03-26-2010, 06:55 AM
I think a good faction story-line would involve the Cardassians. I think "The True Way" taking over Cardassia would be a great move, with some form of betrayal of the council by Garak. The faction could be made up of jem'hadar who are not addicted to white (possibly have a grudge against the founders), plus other notable Cardassian Races (not sure what they are).

I'm thinking it's going to be the Romulans too... As I said before it would be kind of sweet if they made the Romulan faction into two sub-factions, with story-lines for each. Each of the two could be fighting for control of the whole of the populus. I kind of wish they did this with the Klingons. You can either side with the House of Duras or the House of Martok. With each having story lines for that goal.

But a larger faction with both Remans Hirogen in it would be pretty sweet.
Lt. Commander
# 69
03-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Maybe 2 sub factions:
* Romulans
* Remans
Lt. Commander
# 70
03-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker2009 View Post
Maybe 2 sub factions:
* Romulans
* Remans
That would work too... I was thinking one Romulan Faction allined with the Hirogin (Sela's), and the other with the Remans.

It is interesting that Cryptic has added three more factions under faction information (Dominion, Borg, and Undine)