Lt. Commander
# 11
03-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faxon02 View Post
just FYI, that 9400 isnt even a proper gaming card, and it performs horribly in most of the testing i have seen for games period. STO is no slouch @ beating on graphics cards, and while it may have been performing well enough to play on, i would hardly consider it gaming worthy in the first place. it only has 16 stream processors, putting it at a level comparable to integrated graphics. by comparison, a 9800GT has 112, and a 9800GTX has 128 (within the same generation), and the 9800GT costs less than $100 most places for the 512mb version now.

with that said, i havent noticed this on any of 3 rigs, one running an HD5870, one running an HD5850, and one running 2 HD5870s in crossfire. all are running the 10.2 catalyst driver pack. everyone complaining about problems needs to include driver version and card in use or the devs cant collect meaningful data with which to correct the problem unless you crash the game and send an error report in

ed: seems someone beat me to it lol. maybe i should pull out my 8800GT or my laptop which has a GT240M and test both of them for the problem. if no one can find an ATI card exhibiting this behavior i will test it
I'm running the latest drivers for it, but...should I try putting in my old 7900 GT instead? I used that one for a long time and I updated to this one because I was under the impression that it was a much better card, and I had mostly run out of my updating budget by that point after the processor, motherboard, and RAM.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-16-2010, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyronea View Post
I'm running the latest drivers for it, but...should I try putting in my old 7900 GT instead? I used that one for a long time and I updated to this one because I was under the impression that it was a much better card, and I had mostly run out of my updating budget by that point after the processor, motherboard, and RAM.
yea i would put the 7900GT back in. based on all the performance benchmarks i could find your 7900GT is probably a faster card. i checked it vs the 8600GT and 9500GT, both of which are based on roughly identical specs, and they both come in at twice the specs of a 9400GT in raw compute power. the 7900GT is within the range of the 9500GT in performance. if you want a cheap card right now you can find 9800GTs, which would have 112SP to your 9400GTs 16SP (SP stands for spream processors). you could probably sell your 9400GT for like $30-40 on craigslist and then get a 9800GT for $89.99 on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143151 . the 9800GT would be a whole order of magnitude faster, and more comparable to where your 7900GT was as far as performance for it's generation
Lt. Commander
# 13 Laptops
03-16-2010, 02:52 AM
What would you suggest for good STO laptop graphics runners?

I'm looking for a laptop and want to make sure it's up to specs for the game itself. I can't seem to find the equivalent for the graphics cards needed/recommeneded to run the game.

Anybody have any good remmendations as this will be a factor for purchase.

Also the mish mosh lingo they use for processors is kinda confusing. Any suggestions?

Thnx
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
What would you suggest for good STO laptop graphics runners?

I'm looking for a laptop and want to make sure it's up to specs for the game itself. I can't seem to find the equivalent for the graphics cards needed/recommeneded to run the game.

Anybody have any good remmendations as this will be a factor for purchase.

Also the mish mosh lingo they use for processors is kinda confusing. Any suggestions?

Thnx
For mobile graphics, make sure it has either a Geforce mobile graphics or Radeon mobile graphics in it. No Intel graphics, they suck. Mobile CPUs are a bit more forgiving as long as it's not AMD Neo, AMD Sempron, Intel Atom, or Intel Celeron. Those are all budget or low power CPUs, not meant for gaming at all.

AMD Athlon II, AMD Phenom II, Intel Core 2 (Duo or Quad), Core i3, i5, or i7 would all be safe choices. As long as you stay within these listed brands, things like Mhz ratings and cache amounts are not worth worrying about if just looking at gaming performance because these CPUs listed are all very powerful, even at lower clock speeds.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Amen Friend. Before the Feb 19th patch ( and into open beta) every, graphics-wise was great; had all the settings on max. After the Feb 19th patch, everything tanks; went from space (and ground) at 50-60 FPS to 1-8 FPS and, at completely random intervals. The only way I was able to pretty mutch fix it was setting the "Hlaf Graphics" setting to "On". This should'nt be happening. I've tried changing all of the in-game settings and the out-of-game NVIDIA settings with no luck. If I were a betting man, I would place my bet on an environmental issue. Edit** my specs are: AMD 2.2Gh quad core, NVIDIA 9500 GTX, 3megs memory, 380 Gb hard Drive, DX 11, Sound Blaster XFi, Windows Vista 32 and an 800 watt power supply. I checked/to make sure all of the drivers are current which, they are. Dunno what else to do except wait for a patch! *edit* well went ahead and bit the bullet today and upgraded to a PNY GeForce GT240. After installing, I haven't had a single problem; even having been playing for 3 hours now.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_moshpit View Post
Without knowing if this is Nvidia specific or what, the game devs won't know where to start looking.

Since the OP was kind enough to mention his video card in use, we know that the Geforce 9400 is one of the affected video cards. I'm not affected by this bug, but am using an ATI card, so if the others who had posted had mentioned their card in use, we'd have a LOT better idea of where this problem originates.
ATI RADEON HD5770 (1024MB) aka. more then good enough :S

I noticed one thing. When i fly to a couple of ships in combat in a Borg DSE it looks like there are LOTS of Feedback pulse like thingys shooting into all directions from the ships im getting closer to.
When that happens fps can go down to 1 sometimes.
The fps go back up again, but not as much as usual.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberlerchner123 View Post
ATI RADEON HD5770 (1024MB) aka. more then good enough :S

I noticed one thing. When i fly to a couple of ships in combat in a Borg DSE it looks like there are LOTS of Feedback pulse like thingys shooting into all directions from the ships im getting closer to.
When that happens fps can go down to 1 sometimes.
The fps go back up again, but not as much as usual.
Hmmmm, so one somewhat older Nvidia card and now one newer ATI card. Doesn't sound driver related then. But 2 cards sampled hardly makes much more then a start. We need more owners with this prob to sound off with what they're running.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-17-2010, 01:49 AM
i havent had a problem at all (and ran on MAX settings except AAx2) than after last few patches FPS just went to the dogs man!

EDIT: Just fyi i also played on my brothers Champions Online game and its doing the exact same thing.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-17-2010, 12:16 PM
On my ATI Radeon 4570, graphics seem to have actually improved! I haven't noticed any lag.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-17-2010, 01:52 PM
GeForce 8400 GS ... I haven't been able to play for 3 day ... since the last patch.

I start playing and everything is working great ... then between 5 and 10 minutes later it starts looking like a very slow time lapsed photo ....

This needs attention NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least tell us what is going on and when can we expect to play!