Lt. Commander
# 21
03-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Bump - it's been really bad lately.

GForce 9800GTX+. This seems more like a network problem to me (but what do I know) - I can see other players moving, but can't control my ship, then I get tons of rubber-band updates and can control things for a while, then it goes onto autopilot for a while.

I'm not using anything near the highest video settings.
Lt. Commander
# 22 Not gfx card issue
03-18-2010, 02:47 AM
I bought STO shortly after release and started playing it with a nv 8500gt (ye i know)... but i had rubber banding issues with that.....

Have recently updated to a nv9800gt 1028mb ddr3, and for a while this stopped, but now it is back with a vengeance, rubber banding- then server not responding, then server disconnecting...

I too think that this is not a gfx card issue but a server issue, I have played many other mmo's and have had similar problems which were all sorted on the server side, not by updating my pc!!!

I am in the uk, I do not know how many others in the UK are experiencing this, but my friend in scotland had exactly the same problems at the same time as me the other night. this was roughly when traffic from the usa started to come online, it made our game unplayable , server disconnecting / rubberbanding/ unable to log into account server etc.etc.

I have tried cryptic support twice with regards to this to see if there are any changes i can make to my internet preferences, but get put in a queue, then get a recorded message telling me to log onto champions online support website.... WOT KIND OF SUPPORT PHONE LINE IS THAT!!!!

I payed good money for this game and enjoy playing it, when i can and if i can, but as a paying subscriber, i am appalled at the level of customer support, these issues should be fixed quick, (cryptic must be making a fortune on this game)and maybe even get a european server up and running , to see if this helps with these issues.

hopefully a support tech will read this and respond, as i can't be bothered to use the inadequate support phone line again
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Um, enioreh, I disagree with you totally about the phone support. I called them last week with a VERY technical question about SLI and CrossfireX support and they were able to answer my questions with proper technical knowledge. I waited 5 minutes in the que which is normal by any technical standards. Cryptic's support team was even able to bring in a 2nd level tech on the call with no delay when the 1st level tech didn't know the answer. Cryptic handled the call very well, by my standards. My standards are set by BEING a phone support tech who knows how support is supposed to be handled, and Cryptic is doing the job just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-19-2010, 04:33 AM
Played yesterday and everything was fine, now tried playing today and my fps just dropped like crazy, i get 19 fps in a system even on recommended settings while i was getting more than 30 at everything maxed yesterday... WHAT DID THEY DO?!?

Edit: Forgot to say I'm using a HD 5770 1g with 6g of ram and a quad core, I can play Far Cry 2 at max setting with plenty of fps so this "crappy looking game" (in comparison to a lot of more graphic heavy games) shouldn't pose a problem.

Edit 2: Just realized that even the menu and chat typing rate is affected by the fps drop, I smell a memory hole!:p
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Okay, I have indeed confirmed this bug exists, AND is brand/model independant. The bug is present and accounted for on 3 test machines here. Configurations as follows:

1. Core i7 860, 4Gb ram, 2x 1Gb Radeon 5870 CrossfireX (Cat 10.2)

2. Core i7 920, 6Gb ram, 512mb Radeon 4870 (Cat 9.12)

3. Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4Gb ram, 640mb Geforce 8800GTS (G80 using Forceware 197 series)

The bug randomly manifests in space areas and is a sharp drop in FPS for no apparent reason. Alt-Tabbing out of the game DOES remedy this situation temporarily. This bug IS game specific, I'm sure of it now. Cryptic broke something in one of the recent patches.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
I think this new patch introduced a memory leak.

My framerate was in the high teens before this patch came out but now it barely goes above 30 fps.

Specs:

Vista Ultimate x64
E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
4GB DDR2-1066 Ram
GTX 260 Core 216 @ (626/1350/1050) 196.21 Drivers

No. I did not make any changes to my system, download any new updates nor is it ridden with spyware etc.
I take care of my system and defrag it regularly.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Guys,

Make sure you write a support ticket .... I got am answer to my problem, buy a new graphics card ...

I played the game for 5 1/2 months, chosen for Closed Beta, and now all of a sudden it is my card.

Let's see $300 divided by , lets say 3.5 because in closed neta you didn't have access all the time.

$85.71 per month ..... I got this as a gift and don't know if I can afford to buy a new graphics card for a while.

Thing is if I had not been playing the game in Beta (Closed and Open) without major graphic issues, I probably don't buy the game or the lifetime ......

Have Fun
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psytce View Post
Guys,

Make sure you write a support ticket .... I got am answer to my problem, buy a new graphics card ...

I played the game for 5 1/2 months, chosen for Closed Beta, and now all of a sudden it is my card.

Let's see $300 divided by , lets say 3.5 because in closed neta you didn't have access all the time.

$85.71 per month ..... I got this as a gift and don't know if I can afford to buy a new graphics card for a while.

Thing is if I had not been playing the game in Beta (Closed and Open) without major graphic issues, I probably don't buy the game or the lifetime ......

Have Fun
That was less then helpful. Thank you for telling us nothing that we can use. Do you know specifically WHEN performance began tanking for you? Could you tell us when it specifically tanks? In space? On ground/stations? Where?

Some of us actually have faith that this is something fixable with a little constructive input.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-21-2010, 05:36 AM
OK i've been having major issues with this game since the last patch

Im currently running an Nvidia 275 GTX, which before the patch allowed me to run with all settings at their highest possible settings. Now to become just about playable I have to run everything at the minimum possible.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataxia View Post
OK i've been having major issues with this game since the last patch

Im currently running an Nvidia 275 GTX, which before the patch allowed me to run with all settings at their highest possible settings. Now to become just about playable I have to run everything at the minimum possible.
That's a good card too! This game has gotten horrid on performance.