Lt. Commander
Hi guys. I've been messing around very much with my STO stuttering while playing ground missions.
Especially in Earth spacedock, my FPS were constantly kept down by a stuttering that I was sure was related to a software problem.
People with REALLY lower rigs on their PC were running STO just fine. Then i bought Bad Company 2, and the game was suffering a similar issue.
And then i found this fix to this little lag of multiplayer games that acted on graphics.
The result was: Bad company 2 from 28 fps stuttering to 60 fps, peak 96 fps
STO online: 50 -> 60 fps space, 20 stuttering -> 45 perfect on ground

I found the fix here (the second-one) http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1043281

It seems to be related to a Windows 7/Vista service that was scheduling the network throttling, lowering priority to multmedial classes.
Executing the fix (disabling the windows network-throttling) did the trick. No more stuttering on BC2 nor STO!
Works just like a charm.

The fix:

Quote:
Leave the multimedia class scheduler service running, but disable its network throttling "feature":

* Open regedit
* Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
* There will be an entry for network performance throttling, default value is 10; set it to FFFFFFFF hex (willl look like 0xFFFFFFFF to the right of the entry)
* Reboot
For the skepticals: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066

Do this at YOUR OWN RISK. The result might vary on different hardware.

My gaming rig:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM Corsair 1066Mhz
Hard Drive: 480 GB Total
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (Drivers 196.34 BETA)
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)

Just sharing this, it might help some people.
Let me know.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-21-2010, 06:29 PM
-scratch that, everything's fine *pfew*