Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
A lot of people have been asking "How will FvF kill the Klingon faction?" and apparently can honestly not understand how this would happen. I thought I'd take the time to explain how/why.

Let me use an analogy from another game most of you will be familiar with. One major complaint that you hear on the forums from Fed PvPers is about cloaking: the Klingons have it, and the Feds do not. Now, cloaking, has undeniable tactical advantages: surprise, choosing encounters, initial positional advantage, etc. The hope is that this advantage is balanced out by other factors (Fed's bigger hulls, Sci. ships). In short, Klingons ships (for the most part) are like Rogues.

Now suppose you play a Shaman. Like most Shamans you hate Rogues. If you were given an option to do battlegrounds against groups with NO ROGUES, with no down-side, would you not take it? "Gee, I can do battlegrounds mostly against Rogues, or against no rogues whatsoever... I wonder which choice I'll make..."

Now, in a normal world like WoW, this would be bad, but not game-breaking. Now imagine if Rogues could ONLY level through PvP, and now everyone has the choice to NOT PvP against them...

So there you have it. If you still cannot see how FvF has the potential to kill off KDF, then, well, what more can I say. Now, of course, these are all likelihoods and possibilities. Is it *possible* that KDF would survive FvF? Sure, it's possible; jut not likely unless Cryptic makes some other rather drastic changes to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Klingons refuse to fight each other in KvK because it's so much more fun to pick on players who do not have cloak. The advantage of cloak has spoiled them and they do not like having to go up against it. Not all Klingons are this way mind you, but enough that the ones with the balls to fight will have 40 min. queues and will probably just roll a Fed to get their PvP fix.

I for one will never queue up against the Klingons after hearing NUMEROUS times that they refuse to queue up for capture and hold maps because they cannot sit cloaked for 20 minutes while Feds sit there waiting. They also can't spawn camp and win within 5 minutes, because the match is actually based on teamwork and strategy instead of stomping someone 5v1.

About a month of only getting 5v1 or 5v2 pvp on cracked planet has left me bitter. I'm not the only one. Klingons are digging their own grave by conducting themselves the way they do because once FvF comes out Feds will never be forced to play against the flying double standards known as Klingons.

"Hey fedtards!! im gunna cloak and hide until i get moar team you can wait kk??? btw next round we rushing you 5v1 kekeke"
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhowdy View Post
Klingons refuse to fight each other in KvK because it's so much more fun to pick on players who do not have cloak. The advantage of cloak has spoiled them and they do not like having to go up against it. Not all Klingons are this way mind you, but enough that the ones with the balls to fight will have 40 min. queues and will probably just roll a Fed to get their PvP fix.

I for one will never queue up against the Klingons after hearing NUMEROUS times that they refuse to queue up for capture and hold maps because they cannot sit cloaked for 20 minutes while Feds sit there waiting. They also can't spawn camp and win within 5 minutes, because the match is actually based on teamwork and strategy instead of stomping someone 5v1.

About a month of only getting 5v1 or 5v2 pvp on cracked planet has left me bitter. I'm not the only one. Klingons are digging their own grave by conducting themselves the way they do because once FvF comes out Feds will never be forced to play against the flying double standards known as Klingons.

"Hey fedtards!! im gunna cloak and hide until i get moar team you can wait kk??? btw next round we rushing you 5v1 kekeke"
I'm Klingon. KvK queues never pop so I don't bother. I pretty much only queue for Capture and Hold. I have also never done the 'Hey fedtards' manuever.

I also question your sources for 'hearing NUMEROUS times' that Klingons require 20 minute sessions fo cloak for enjoyment.

Thank you for your time.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-12-2010, 10:11 AM
News Flash: The Klingon Faction is already dead, and has been for weeks.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-12-2010, 11:14 AM
As a Fed Player I don't feel like playing against Kling Blob and its magical powers.

I can bet I'm not the only one. PVP against Kling has become too complicated and not fun for average players.

No one likes to lose all the time, if I like to play chess, I'm not going to play Grandmasters all the time or I'll become desperate.

Let's say Klings won, now give us a fun PVP to play. Maybe Fed/Fed is what casual players need.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merel
As a Fed Player I don't feel like playing against Kling Blob and its magical powers.

I can bet I'm not the only one. PVP against Kling has become too complicated and not fun for average players.

No one likes to lose all the time, if I like to play chess, I'm not going to play Grandmasters all the time or I'll become desperate.

Let's say Klings won, now give us a fun PVP to play. Maybe Fed/Fed is what casual players need.
See what I mean Cryptic? You give this game FvF and that will totally kill off the KDF. What little there is of it, admittedly.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-12-2010, 01:27 PM
imo, those Fed players who knows how to pvp, actually knows how to pvp, instead of bicker about this and that towards 1 other faction, will probably stick with FvK. I get sick of shooting the mirror NPCs around the DS9 area...FvF would be boring, most likely in the beginning there will be cruisers, that will get rolled by the Science ships, and just like presently, Science ships will remain supreme, w/ the BO skills of the players choice (even after the patch) pvp in the game is about CC, no CC, expect to die.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhowdy View Post
Klingons refuse to fight each other in KvK because it's so much more fun to pick on players who do not have cloak. The advantage of cloak has spoiled them and they do not like having to go up against it.
Aside from Capture missions which have an alternate win option, my own (admitedly limited) KvK experience in the other space missions turned out to be "basic boring crap". Two teams floating about waiting to see some glimmer that the other team is out there? Bleh. I hate KvK because of that. Capture isn't too bad, but I don't want it to be the end-all of space KvK.

From a Fed viewpoint, I'm not personally all that happy about FvF. It is not supported by the universe lore (unless we've all become Mirror agents). It is also not supported by the game lore. I feel that too much of it is driven by the "we don't want to fight cloakers" mentality, which I think is a shame. I love fighting PVP on both sides of the fence because each one requires a completely different tactical approach. Most players can't grasp the concept of "If at first you don't succeed - try try again" and come up with new tactics and instead whine that the same ol' same ol' isn't equally effective.

I personally hope FvF isn't going to be as harmful as some are saying, but right now I've got my doubts.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjollnar
I'm Klingon. KvK queues never pop so I don't bother. I pretty much only queue for Capture and Hold. I have also never done the 'Hey fedtards' manuever.

I also question your sources for 'hearing NUMEROUS times' that Klingons require 20 minute sessions fo cloak for enjoyment.

Thank you for your time.
It's taken 20 minutes for the klingons to get 5 players, so they just sit there cloaked. It happens. Maybe not to you. But it happens. You're also in the minority if you don't say "fedtards".
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook0024
imo, those Fed players who knows how to pvp, actually knows how to pvp, instead of bicker about this and that towards 1 other faction, will probably stick with FvK. I get sick of shooting the mirror NPCs around the DS9 area...FvF would be boring, most likely in the beginning there will be cruisers, that will get rolled by the Science ships, and just like presently, Science ships will remain supreme, w/ the BO skills of the players choice (even after the patch) pvp in the game is about CC, no CC, expect to die.
Ya you're totally right. We should just continue to queue up against players who sit there cloaked, de-cloak + SNB + VM our entire team and then the first fed dies without any fed firing a shot. Because that is so much fun.