Lt. Commander
Perhaps this is just my opinion, but I find that ground maps are absurdly predictable. Mobs are placed at every choke point/corner/room. Grounds missions don't feel like they are about an objective, they feel like grinding through the same fight about 10-15 times.

I understand that in this time-line, war is everywhere, but that doesn't mean fights should be a dime a dozen. Packing a mission with loads of enemies would work if combat were faster. In this game the tenth group feels like a chore. If the number of mobs were reduced, the fighting wouldn't be so repetitive.

Secondly, the aggro radius is just not cool at all. I walked by Klingons that were 20 meters away, with no response. By increasing the targeting range and drastically increasing the aggro range, having fewer mobs would still present an appropriate challenge. And the subsequent reduction in mission time would be welcome...

But, here is my second point to increase the fun and duration of ground missions..

Mini-games are an absolute necessity for the ground missions. Matching games, word jumbles, pattern recognition, pipe dream-like game. If these were Incorporated into the game where appropriate (decrypting data pads/ hacking terminals/ modifying security measures/ repairing plasma conduits) this game would take another giant leap towards awesome. This may sound like an attempt to mimic Mass Effect, but the only thing Mass Effect did was tap into an idea that should be integral to all sci-fi games.

Hope someone reads and agrees with me.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Agreed
03-13-2010, 03:58 AM
I am in total agreement with this. Ground battles have way too many people to feel like its really going on. Space battles also suffer from this problem. Where are they getting all these ships and people. Seriously. If I kill as many people as I do and so do everyone else, how are there still ships/people left in the galaxy? It makes no sense that the random Space Encounters have so many ships in Federation space without some massive fleet being organized to wipe them out.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-21-2010, 06:48 PM
I am a lifetime subscriber, and I did so gladly. And because of that fact, I find it hard to force myself through these maps with 10 groups of 6 enemies.

For example, I've had the mission, Torpedo Takeover for almost 2 weeks now. and every time I start up the hill and see the first group of enemies, my brain says, "This sucks. I'll just wait till they realize ground combat like this isn't fun."

I mean, I have the luxury of time. I can wait for a year, or two years for the game play to be more about fun and less about trying to slow down level progression.

But, then I realize. The vast majority of players don't have the lifetime subscription. If they feel the same way, they aren't going to keep coming back. And if that happens over a long enough period or large enough scale, my lifetime sub won't mean squat.

I love Star Trek and I want this game to flourish. In MMO's, the silent majority will always win in the long run, and I fear that if no one speaks up about this core feature, it might get put off till it's too late.

Please, don't make ground combat faster just cut the amount of enemies in half. What you lose in overall play time to reach max level, you will make up for in having more subscriptions.

And again, still just my opinion.

Here's to hoping. /cheers
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Couldn't agree with you more, Warp_Drive. If they thinned out the mobs on ground missions I don't think anyone would complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp_drive View Post
Mini-games are an absolute necessity for the ground missions. Matching games, word jumbles, pattern recognition, pipe dream-like game.
Also agree there. Check out the thread in my signature for some artwork examples of games like you mention & feel free to add your own ideas as well.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Mini games if they affected the combat mission Ok but matching games and word puzzles. Give me a break. What do you want Spot the Difference in these 2 Orion Slave Girls.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
Mini games if they affected the combat mission Ok but matching games and word puzzles. Give me a break. What do you want Spot the Difference in these 2 Orion Slave Girls.
YES, PLEASE!

I can understand your aversion to certain types of puzzles, but that was a terrible example to give in support of your view on the matter. :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiKami View Post
YES, PLEASE!

I can understand your aversion to certain types of puzzles, but that was a terrible example to give in support of your view on the matter. :p
Indeed.

But generally speaking - energy credits could be used to overcome puzzles you can't or hate to solve. (Since they apparantly stand of energy, it probably means you pump more energy into your tricorder, [s]magically[/s]* scientifically enabling him to solve the issue for you.

I think it makes sense that the enemies are placed at chokeholds - that's what any sane military commander would do (and also some insane ones). But the numbers... Or the length of each fight. And it's not as if they are particulary difficult or exciting. (Except the ones that are the furthest way from the nearest spawn point, of course.)

*) Anyone knows how to make strikethrough formatting? Or does this vBulletin not have that enabled?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-22-2010, 09:19 AM
I have no problems with mini-games that would fit in such as using computers to manipulte piping to allow Air recycling to restart or fuel flow but come on seriously word jumbles how would that fit in with Startrek. Might as well play 10 pin bowling with Klingons as pins.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Word Jumbles, as an example, could be use to simulate hacking into secure computers. Matching games, a la Mass Effect, can be used for bypassing locked doors, etc.

It doesn't have to be difficult, but it would greatly help to add some flavor.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-22-2010, 02:09 PM
When you can have spatial charges to blow open lock doors why would I want a matching game.. Working out a code/password to hack a computer Ok but word Jumble childish.