Lt. Commander
# 11
03-22-2010, 08:51 PM
I've found with a lot of those missions - including that one, which I'm assuming is the one where you have to beam up the hargh-peng torpedoes - you can avoid most of the annoying ground patrols by going off the roads and sneaking through the rough terrain. The xp you get from fighting them is pretty crap anyway, and I find playing cloak-and-dagger makes the missions more interesting. Instead of ploughing through every patrol like Captain Leeroy Jenkins of the USS Zerg Rush, I make tactical attacks only when I need to, which lets me dictate the terms of the engagement moreso than usual.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetOfHats View Post
I've found with a lot of those missions - including that one, which I'm assuming is the one where you have to beam up the hargh-peng torpedoes - you can avoid most of the annoying ground patrols by going off the roads and sneaking through the rough terrain. The xp you get from fighting them is pretty crap anyway, and I find playing cloak-and-dagger makes the missions more interesting. Instead of ploughing through every patrol like Captain Leeroy Jenkins of the USS Zerg Rush, I make tactical attacks only when I need to, which lets me dictate the terms of the engagement moreso than usual.
I take this kind of approach more often then not. For example, in space stations where mobs are preventing computer access I position my team to engage the mobs sneak around to access the computer and then run to next computer area. Then repeat the team positioning. It doesn't take nearly as long to finish as fighting everything (then again I don't have much in ground skills).
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
When you can have spatial charges to blow open lock doors why would I want a matching game.. Working out a code/password to hack a computer Ok but word Jumble childish.
Well, the spirit of my suggestion was apparently lost, when the poster who sounds like they are disagreeing with me actually posts more ideas along the same lines of my original post...

Call them word jumbles, codes, or passwords, or even having the option of blowing a door open with a charge. Whatever suits you because the ideas are exactly the same. I'm not sure how your idea is "ok" and my exact same idea is "childish", but ok. The point is, we agree that there needs to be more than shooting and pressing "F" while on a ground mission.

PlanetofHats,
While I agree that a tactical approach is better, the game dampens that for me because of the absurdly small aggro radius. I may be able to walk around enemies, and use their limited AI to my advantage when positioning my crew, but that doesn't change the fact that the experience feels cheapened to me when I walk out in the open, in direct line of sight of intelligent enemies and they don't react at all.

I am asking for a little bit more in terms of game play than your typical MMO, because this game is more realistic than most in its application.

Perhaps create a second, larger aggro radius (A defensive radius) in which the enemies who have line of sight on you from a long distance set up for your attack as you approach. Give the players who find a way to sneak past this large radius a short duration bonus in the way of accuracy or damage for making a preemptive strike.

Something, anything to make these NPC cannon fodder behave less like automatons.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-24-2010, 11:40 AM
I didn't say your idea was childish I said using word jumbles in a startrek themed game was childish big difference.
That is why I did say that using computer to manipulate flow through pipes to resstore system was a good Idea.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-25-2010, 05:59 AM
I still don't understand why one of these MMOs have not incorporated Mass Effect-style FPS/RPG hybrid combat.

It would work great in this game. They don't even need the pausing feature, but just the cover system, over the shoulder view, press the left mouse button to fire, etc. They are halfway there already.

I do like the ground combat in general (especially the pvp) but I agree with the mob spacing. It's something I first observed in City of Heroes and again in Champions ONline, so I think it's a cryptic thing. They need to rethink how they place mobs, what the experience return is, how the mobs path, etc. It's too cluttered and too great a risk of pulling way more than you can handle. Worst case, just copy WoW, they seem to have figured it out when they got to WOTLK.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-25-2010, 06:14 AM
But that is the only really fun part of ground combat pulling more than you can ahndle and desperatly trying to find a way to survive or sneaking around trying to do the scans with out having to fight.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I think the common factor with the mobs is the fact that every group is exactly the same fight, with negligible differences compared to the one before it. Rinse and repeat nine more times, and there is your mission.

Just because our away team is tuned to fight four normal enemies(minions) + two specialized (Lts) + one boss should not mean that every single group is comprised of exactly that formula, give or take.

The missions do not feel organic or inspired. There needs to be more variety with mob size and placement. We need more to do (i.e. mini games) to get our minds away from the repetitive nature of these missions.

On a related note. The story and artwork are great. The animations are above par and computer AI is better than average. It is not the polish that is the problem. It is the mechanics.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Essentially, they need to replace "5 mobs" with "5 encounters". A mob is just one type of encounter. Puzzles, click-the-shiny, maybe even an NPC whose dialog you have to follow to find the next encounter.

The next step could be adding alternate paths. You can kill a mob, or you can solve a puzzle. And maybe also have a "diplomacy" option for some fights - the enemies are not that hot on fighting you, but will if they don't get something out of it (or just wet their pants because you're a fracking Klingon Warrior or cold-blooded Vulcan renown for his tactical experience.)
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Essentially, they need to replace "5 mobs" with "5 encounters". A mob is just one type of encounter. Puzzles, click-the-shiny, maybe even an NPC whose dialog you have to follow to find the next encounter.
Exactly. Maybe a little more combat, but you have the idea for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The next step could be adding alternate paths. You can kill a mob, or you can solve a puzzle. And maybe also have a "diplomacy" option for some fights - the enemies are not that hot on fighting you, but will if they don't get something out of it (or just wet their pants because you're a fracking Klingon Warrior or cold-blooded Vulcan renown for his tactical experience.)
This is most definately nearing the endgame for my ideas. This is what I would LOVE to see accomplished.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-26-2010, 01:43 AM
You are at war with these enemies s diplomacy is not an option. To bring that in you need new NPC's pirates smiugglers slavers etc those that would rather goto prison than lose their lives.

Did an example some time ago showing a map with extra corridors so you had 2 or 3 different ways to get into any room. Also stated you should not know how many groups you had to fight, that it should be a random number between 3 and 9. Each group should have an awareness zone. If one groups zone covered a group you attacked there would be a shock period varying between 15 and 45 secs. after that there would be a 50/50 chance that they would attack direct or use one of the other corridors to try and flank you.