Lt. Commander
CAUTION: SPOILERS

Alright, assuming you're reading this you've already completed the mission "Suspect" given by James Kurland at DS9. For the majority of the mission you are followed around by Franklin Drake, a character you met before in the mission "Under the Cover of Night" wherein he pretended to be a traitor.

In the last part of the mission you encounter Captain Carna whom Drake swears is actually an Undine pretending to be the captain and the Captain makes the same claim towards Drake. You're forced to choose between the two.

Firstly, I'm annoyed that siding with one or the other were the only two options given to you. I would have rather taken them both into custody and followed through with further investigation.

Alas, I decided to side with the Captain, and here's why.

Aside from Drake's suspicious presence and attitude, I found his presence along with me on the ship was extremely awkward as well. At no point during the mission did he provide supportive fire. Furthermore, every time I interacted with a crewman he would make comments such as "What are you doing?" and "Interesting choice...".

It was obvious he was observing me, but through application of Vulcan logic I decided that he was awkwardly observing me as an Undine agent rather than an agent for Section 31, a covert section of Starfleet that I've never heard of.

So that was my solution and reasoning. What was yours?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-12-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't trust section 31 and sided with the Captain. Too much seemed waaay to convenient.
Honestly, given the options, I'd have phasered them both as well; seemed like the OBVIOUS solution.

From what I hear, the decision doesn't make any difference aside from who you fight.

...but you know what, this wasn't my biggest disappointment in this mission.
The mission started out super awesome: Investigate reports of creatures "swimming" through space. After killing 5 patrols for god knows how many ranks... finally a "seek out new life" episode. SWEET!!

But that gets abandoned pretty quick and before you know it I'm being tugged around by some schmuck from section 31 whose authority I do not recognize... I just kept talking to myself... "when am I gonna scan the swimming space creatures? /cry"
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2010, 09:57 PM
I shot the Section 31 guy, don't like him or the idea (the whole sacrifice humanity to save humanity thing)... I hope this 'decision' pans out into more interesing missions in the long run.

The twist though, I DID see coming, since they did the same thing to Bashir In DS9.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2010, 12:37 AM
I sided with the Captain, too. I can remember my experiences with Drake and that really made it hard to trust him, so, while they both made good cases, I felt Drake knew a little too much about this "covert organization" whereas the Captain didn't seem to know anything, so, to me, it made me think that Drake definitely knew more than he was saying.

Not to mention the fact that, as another poster said, Drake did nothing to help during the fight. No cover fire, no protection, nothing at all. Not to mention, the enemies never shot at him once; at least when we did that mission with Admiral Zelle (I think that was her name), we had to at least protect her, though that didn't do a damn bit of good since, even if she got to the "no health" point, she never died, forcing us to respawn.

Although I will admit that the twist at the end was a shock. This not only proves that Cryptic's writers can make a really great "Star Trek" "episode", but they also seem to have somewhat of a plan for the a specific area of our ships.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2010, 01:53 AM
I agree that the ideal solution would have been to detain both Captain Carna and Franklin Drake pending further investigation. Though even being forced to attack one over the other, the phasers could still be set to stun, once one was subdued and determined not to be an Undine then the other could be detained or subdued.

I do like that Star Trek Online had a mission such as this which made you make a decision, even if the limits of an MMORPG keep it from actually having any actual impact on the game or your career. If you like this sort of thing and first-person shooters then I highly recommend the game Deus Ex.

Given the choice as it was, I sided with Captain Carna and attacked Franklin Drake. In the face of insufficient evidence against either suspect, I fell back on the moral character of both, who they were and what they wanted. While I recognize that Section 31’s principles are seductive, they are also immoral. The ends can never justify the means and as Benjamin Franklin said, “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Unfortunately I suspected the twist ending before it came. If you pull up the map once aboard the USS Obsidian you can see the bridge on it, surrounded by the holodeck and its signature yellow stripes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-13-2010, 10:55 AM
I sided with Carna purely due to his concern for his ship mates. A good captain will look after his crew where possible.

The twist at the end though did surprise me.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-13-2010, 11:20 AM
I sided with Drake, but would have much preferred the third option, subdue both and interrogate.

Was nice to see this sort of morally ambiguous episode. What would be even better would be one where the choice had lasting ramifications. Hard to do in an MMO, but not impossible - it'd need (hidden) faction reputations being tracked, the same way WoW does (openly) in a few places, where you have to choose one tribe or faction over another.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Hah, I expected others would have chosen the captain over drake for one reason or another.

I would hope the devs examine the reasoning in this thread and apply it to future episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-15-2010, 02:21 AM
Sided with ship Captain as well and kicked Drakes ass... until I realized it was all set up.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-15-2010, 07:23 AM
I sided with Drake and attcked the captain. It felt like when I go to the bridge, the captain was doing something suspicous instead of down in the ship helping his crewmates. Drake was already a shaddy person and had a good reason to be the way his was.
The very end was a surprise when the room changed to what it really was, but I was more suprised that the captain did NOT turn into an Undine when he was finally subdued. It was at that point I thought I choose wrong, and then the room changed to reveil what was really going on and I had a sigh of relief.