Lt. Commander
# 21
03-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Drake reminded me of Admiral Zelle... he was suspicious the whole episode so I took him out.

I have to say this is one of the better missions. I'd say it's #2 next to Guardian of Never. The illusion of a non-linear mission ending was compelling. (Actual non-linear stories would be awesome.) So was the surprise factor of being in the holodeck. Kudos to whomever wrote this mission. Might be Gozer... he's da man.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Great mission. I didn't pick the twist however and did side with Drake which worked out well

More missions like this one please!
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
I enjoyed the end of this mission. I decided to side with the Captain after talking to them both, here's what I thought:

1. Drake had no proof of the Captains identity or the actual cause of the crews condition. Way too much guesswork, so it wasn't a factor in my choice. I've seen enough Star Trek episodes to know that the cause for telepaths going mad can be pretty much anything the writer can dream up. :p

2. Neither of them said anything compelling that wouldn't have be said by an Undine try to maintain it's cover. Even in the mission with Zelle, it was the the overall situation that made me suspicious...nothing Zelle actually said was out of place or character for a Starfleet Admiral who thought the Romulans were up to no good.

3. I actually walked back over to check Drakes rank, but he was a Captain as well.

4. Drakes previous behavior was sorta a non-issue for me. He's basically Black Ops, that's how they roll.

5. Ultimately, I had to go with the more dangerous target. I guessed that an Undine in Drakes position would be capable of causing far more damage than the Captain of some random Light Cruiser.

There were some things I didn't take into account that I probably should have, like target accessibility and saturation, but it was still fun to sit and think about it for a while.

The one thing that really ticked me off about the mission [besides the Engineers] was the fact that after being warned to speak of this to nobody and threatened with a court martial and worse, my character goes and blabs about it when I turned the mission in. Would have been nice if had had been given to option to keep silent or be a tattle-tale when reporting to Starfleet.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I also took the Capt. side, neither one gave any clues that I could see in the questioning that would identify either of them as the Undie. Also I had no reason to trust Drake.

Drake lied to me once in a previous mission were he used me to get into the Romulan empire or something, then all of a sudden he just shows up in Cardassian space with this odd tale about a whole crew going crazy, and he "mysteriously" escapes, yeah right.

Fool me once shame on him, fool me twice shame on me.

I would had liked to had seen a special mission get unlocked depending on your choices. If you chose Drake then there shadow agency would give you a mission to work for them. If you sided with the Capt. then you would get a mission related to whatever overcame the crew.

I probably would had been more inclined to side with Drake if most of his interview responses weren't basically "Why are you asking me this? Just arrest the other guy already", not a very compelling argument.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-14-2010, 01:02 PM
I picked Drake. Mostly because only a real human could be that annoyingly obnoxious. He kind of reminds me of the "best friend" who comes up with the outlandish scheme that ends with both of you waking up in a Mexican jail.

By contrast, Zelle was a humorless twit who's BS was easily disproved, although you couldn't actually "DO" anything about it.

How does the text differ if you pick the Captain over Drake? Do they still try to "recruit" you into Section 31 but come up with a different BS reason why?
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raithnor View Post
I picked Drake. Mostly because only a real human could be that annoyingly obnoxious. He kind of reminds me of the "best friend" who comes up with the outlandish scheme that ends with both of you waking up in a Mexican jail.

By contrast, Zelle was a humorless twit who's BS was easily disproved, although you couldn't actually "DO" anything about it.

How does the text differ if you pick the Captain over Drake? Do they still try to "recruit" you into Section 31 but come up with a different BS reason why?
Actually if you pick the captain, and beat his team, you go to the Holodeck, he basically says You should had trusted me, even though you had no reason to do so, other then to follow his absolutely illegal orders from a shadow agency that doesn't exsist in the first place. He babbles something about keeping an eye on your carrer, and will call apon you sometime in the future.

So basically as far as I have seen, there is no difference in the long run in who you chose.

I must addmit though it does make you wonder ....What if?.....

So I have to give them points for that.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-15-2010, 02:46 AM
I went with Drake.

I just didn't see an Undine flying around in a shuttle getting shot at by Kardies on the odd chance that a fed ship happened to be around to rescue him, just so that he could then lead that fed ship back to another fed ship, subdue a bunch a telepaths, just to take out the captain. It'd be an incredibly stupid plan with no benefit whatsoever, unless there was some hidden time travel plot thing going on by some guy who knew that Drake knew me and how and, well, all just too complicated. Occam's razor said the captain gets sliced.

So set phasers on stun and shoot the Captain. Oh, yup, he's an undine, well, set to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raithnor View Post
He gives you a line about questioning your decision making process, but that's about it. And once past that, same dialogue.

You won't see a diverging like that, due to the complications it would cause. You are teamed, one guy has done A in the past, the other B, that sort of thing.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-24-2010, 08:47 PM
I sided with Drake. There was no reason for him to have me intervene if he was the Undine. He would have taken over the entire ship - imagine a starfleet ship of the line under Undine contol?

Also, sometimes you have to play hardball....
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-27-2010, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlhero View Post
He would have taken over the entire ship - imagine a starfleet ship of the line under Undine contol?
There is a ship under Undine Control - the USS Athens in the mission "War Games", given by Kurland (DS9).

You start the war game, along with a cruiser, and the Athens detroys the cruiser...then you disable the Athens, and investigate. After finding a crewman who stowed away, you make it to the bridge, where you then have to kill 4 Undine, followed by a Undine Battleship & 3 cruisers. BEST MISSION EVER in my book - fun, looks simple, but with a devilish twist - just like a real ST episode - alls good until it isn't!
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I shot drake. I've had it up to here with Starfleet ordering me to murder people who turned out to be innocent.

The captain of a ship gets the benefit of a doubt. Section 31 deserves no such thing. They are the bad guys.