Lt. Commander
# 31
04-29-2010, 05:27 PM
I had the pleasure of doing this mission both ways.

On Tribble, I shot Drake.
On Holodeck, I shot the Captain.

Having played it both ways ... I'm more inclined to side with the Captain. Here's my reasoning ...

Drake's story was way too convenient. It was also extremely self-serving.
Super Spy Agent Drake somehow managed to not succumb to an Undine incursion, managed to escape in a Runabout ... WITH THE ANTIDOTE ... and merely needed a friendly starship with a happy-go-lucky clueless captain (that's YOU) willing to believe everything Drake said.

All the telepaths in the crew have "gone mad" ... okay ...
Is there any possible reason for why this could have happened OTHER THAN UNDINE MIND CONTROL?

We've already seen at Starbase 114 in the Lieutenant grades in the Accidents Happen mission arc that it's possible to reprogram replicators to dispense mind altering drugs to crewmen without their knowledge. I found it very suspicious that Drake, of all people, just "happened to have" the formula for a mind control antidote IN HAND and merely needed a cooperative flunky to replicate a lot of it so as "cure" the crew of their mind control.

If Drake himself was the CAUSE for the crew going crazy ... because he'd drugged them (and covered his tracks) ... then it only stood to reason that he'd also have the antidote. And from talking to the Captain in the final confrontation, it was pretty clear that everything was "fine" with the crew until Drake came aboard.

The whole thing stank to high heaven of being a setup ... and probably one "created" by Drake himself. Reason being that if he created a situation where he could get one starfleet captain to assassinate another due to a fraud perpetrated by Section 31, then Section 31 would have the surviving captain in their back pocket(s) as an operative recruit. Section 31 would be able to blackmail YOU into doing anything they wanted you to do because you made a snap decision (pick Drake) in a stress situation and KILLED an innocent starfleet officer framed by Drake. The blood would be on YOUR hands, not his ... and if Starfleet ever caught wind of this, your career would be over.

Everything about Drake in this situation was suspicious.
Even the way that the "cured" crewmen responded ... so uniformly ("I'd better go to sick bay!") ... to the antidote you'd given them, was suspicious. The way that Drake had absolutely no problem threatening everyone with an instant death on the bridge if he didn't get his way and you didn't assassinate the captain ... was suspicious. Drake clearly had no problems with holding the lives of everyone on board hostage to his agenda even when he wasn't under duress. By contrast, the captain was being confronted by saboteurs (Drake) and traitors (you and your officers) willing to kill him on a fiction crafted by Drake.

I'm glad I made the "right choice" the first time and Shot Drake.

The second time around, I shot the captain ... just to see the other side of the story.

Next time ... I'm shooting Drake.
I am *SO* shooting Drake.
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-30-2010, 06:12 AM
I'm waiting for Cryptic to release a mission where Drake is revealed to be an Undine...
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-30-2010, 09:19 AM
So what does Drake say in the epilogue if you shot him?
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-30-2010, 05:06 PM
He says he's disappointed in you.
Lt. Commander
# 35
05-05-2010, 04:06 PM
I decided it was a test and shot the guy instigating it. Hopefully he wouldn't involve me in his games in future.
Lt. Commander
# 36
05-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Line View Post
I had the pleasure of doing this mission both ways.

On Tribble, I shot Drake.
On Holodeck, I shot the Captain.

Having played it both ways ... I'm more inclined to side with the Captain. Here's my reasoning ...

Drake's story was way too convenient. It was also extremely self-serving.
Super Spy Agent Drake somehow managed to not succumb to an Undine incursion, managed to escape in a Runabout ... WITH THE ANTIDOTE ... and merely needed a friendly starship with a happy-go-lucky clueless captain (that's YOU) willing to believe everything Drake said.

All the telepaths in the crew have "gone mad" ... okay ...
Is there any possible reason for why this could have happened OTHER THAN UNDINE MIND CONTROL?

We've already seen at Starbase 114 in the Lieutenant grades in the Accidents Happen mission arc that it's possible to reprogram replicators to dispense mind altering drugs to crewmen without their knowledge. I found it very suspicious that Drake, of all people, just "happened to have" the formula for a mind control antidote IN HAND and merely needed a cooperative flunky to replicate a lot of it so as "cure" the crew of their mind control.

If Drake himself was the CAUSE for the crew going crazy ... because he'd drugged them (and covered his tracks) ... then it only stood to reason that he'd also have the antidote. And from talking to the Captain in the final confrontation, it was pretty clear that everything was "fine" with the crew until Drake came aboard.

The whole thing stank to high heaven of being a setup ... and probably one "created" by Drake himself. Reason being that if he created a situation where he could get one starfleet captain to assassinate another due to a fraud perpetrated by Section 31, then Section 31 would have the surviving captain in their back pocket(s) as an operative recruit. Section 31 would be able to blackmail YOU into doing anything they wanted you to do because you made a snap decision (pick Drake) in a stress situation and KILLED an innocent starfleet officer framed by Drake. The blood would be on YOUR hands, not his ... and if Starfleet ever caught wind of this, your career would be over.

Everything about Drake in this situation was suspicious.
Even the way that the "cured" crewmen responded ... so uniformly ("I'd better go to sick bay!") ... to the antidote you'd given them, was suspicious. The way that Drake had absolutely no problem threatening everyone with an instant death on the bridge if he didn't get his way and you didn't assassinate the captain ... was suspicious. Drake clearly had no problems with holding the lives of everyone on board hostage to his agenda even when he wasn't under duress. By contrast, the captain was being confronted by saboteurs (Drake) and traitors (you and your officers) willing to kill him on a fiction crafted by Drake.

I'm glad I made the "right choice" the first time and Shot Drake.

The second time around, I shot the captain ... just to see the other side of the story.

Next time ... I'm shooting Drake.
I am *SO* shooting Drake.
I totally agree with you.

I finally did this mission a second time with an alt, and read everything.

Drake quotes some Starfllet reg that he felt justified the use of section 31 to protect the Federation. That was the only thing that either of them said that could possibly give him credability.

My problem with that though is the Voyager episode were the Undine recreated Star Fleet Acadamy. Personally I can't trust anyone who quotes regulations from memory. I would expect someone trying to infiltrate such a secretive orginization to know their subject inside and out. So of course he is going to have all the Star Fleet regulations memorized. It just gave me another reason not to trust his story, or motives.
Lt. Commander
# 37
05-07-2010, 09:49 AM
I chose the Captain, but only because there was no obvious solution. If I'd had the option I would have detained them both and taken them to a Starbase for interrogation. As it was an either or decision I felt it was more in Starfleet tradition to agree with the Captain of the ship I was on. Not sure who was of higher rank in that decision anyway, but as he was appointed Captain of that vessel, he had command.

I heard lots of people rave about this mission, but other than the reveal at the end (which I'd already heard from somewhere else) it was rather boring. I much more prefer that mission Ghost Ship, with the Devidians, very cool.
Lt. Commander
# 38 Necessary Evil
08-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I just completed this mission last night. I went in eyes wide open and sided with Drake. I knew my decision wouldn't be a popular one amongst most Trek fans but I'm one of the few that believe Section 31 is needed. Still the ending took me completely and totally by surprise.

I wish the choice actually led to something or had future consequences. I didn't see an accolade or anything letting me know my decision was noted and tracked.
Lt. Commander
# 39
08-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I sided with Drake. A captain ready to kill his crew to stop one Undine rang false for me; a true Starfleet captain would find another way. Whereas it made perfect sense for Drake to be willing to kill everyone to stop one Undine.
Lt. Commander
# 40
04-20-2012, 08:21 PM
I sided with Drake. The captain didn't have any rank pins on his uniform. That's obviously not starfleet regulation, so he must be the imposter.