Lt. Commander
# 1 Stardate Conversion to Real Time
03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Does anybody know how the in-game stardate (such as the ones listed in you mission journal) would convert to the actual time and date?

We are attempting to better manage our fleet bank, but the activity there is also listed by stardate. In order to better determine when transactions took place, some method of conversion would be helpful.

If you can help or even point me in the right direction for the answer, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-12-2010, 04:37 PM
You asked for it:

http://www.hillschmidt.de/gbr/sternenzeit.htm

Stardate Calculator!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2010, 04:38 PM
yeah, thats something that should be IN the game imho.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkornn
You asked for it:

Stardate Calculator!
nop thats NOT in real time just tryed it and put the year as 2412 in trek yeah but not in real (are) time
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-10-2012, 04:22 PM
From wikipedia:

The following excerpt from the TOS bible Star Trek Guide (April 17, 1967, p. 25) instructs writers on how to select stardates for their scripts:

We invented "Stardate" to avoid continually mentioning Star Trek's century (actually, about two hundred years from now), and getting into arguments about whether this or that would have developed by then. Pick any combination of four numbers plus a percentage point, use it as your story's stardate. For example, 1313.5 is twelve o'clock noon of one day and 1314.5 would be noon of the next day. Each percentage point is roughly equivalent to one-tenth of one day. The progression of stardates in your script should remain constant but don't worry about whether or not there is a progression from other scripts. Stardates are a mathematical formula which varies depending on location in the galaxy, velocity of travel, and other factors, can vary widely from episode to episode.

(Clearly, a "percentage point" is a mistake. A tenth-part digit, equal to ten percentage points, is what is actually used.) The official timeline[1] places TOS between the years 2265 and 2269, with the second pilot beginning on stardate 1312.4 and the last-produced episode on stardate 5928.5. Despite the guideline to "pick any combination", the list of episodes shows stardates increasing with time in general, albeit with many instances of a number being lower than in the preceding episode.

The Next Generation eraStardates were revised from the above description for Star Trek: The Next Generation and all the subsequent shows and movies set in the same era. They were described as follows in Star Trek: The Next Generation Writer's/Director's Guide of March 23, 1987 (p. 13):

A stardate is a five-digit number followed by a decimal point and one more digit. Example: "41254.7." The first two digits of the stardate are always "41." The 4 stands for 24th century, the 1 indicates first season. The additional three leading digits will progress unevenly during the course of the season from 000 to 999. The digit following the decimal point is generally regarded as a day counter.

Stardates of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine began with 46379.1, corresponding to the sixth season of Star Trek: The Next Generation which was also set in the year 2369. Star Trek: Voyager began with stardate 48315.6 (2371), one season after TNG had finished its seventh and final season. As in TNG, the second digit would increase by one every season, while the initial two digits eventually rolled over from 49 to 50, despite the year 2373 still being in the 24th century. Star Trek: Nemesis was set around stardate 56844.9. The MMORPG Star Trek Online follows this convention, with its in-universe starting year of 2404 corresponding to stardates in the 86000-86999 range.

[edit] Star Trek (2009 film)According to Roberto Orci, stardates were revised again for the latest film so that the first four digits correspond to the year, while the remainder was intended to stand for the day of the year.[2][3][4] For example, stardate 2258.42 would be February 11, 2258.

And here is another caculator from Trek Guide.com:
http://www.trekguide.com/Stardates.htm
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-10-2012, 04:25 PM
I keep getting 2412 when I do the conversion from stardate to real time.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Nvm I got 2413 with a recent log entry

Ensign
# 8
09-29-2012, 04:28 PM
The Problem with some of these Stardate converters is the accuracy. Since The Original Series was using four digits, and Next Generation used five, it makes it difficult to determine what the correct dates. Plus with The original series, the numbers were mismatched unless you lined up up by Stardate, and not by season.

So I would say the most accurate would be sometime the early 23rd century.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Stardates carried over from STO do not equal out to the correct date as near as I can tell. I blame Cryptic for this, however, because canon stardates (ex 47988) do calculate out correctly.

I used to be able to play STO, but then Season 9 happened. | Join Date: Dec 2009
1000 Paper Cuts for Star Trek Online
Cryptic Studios Team
# 10
09-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
Does anybody know how the in-game stardate (such as the ones listed in you mission journal) would convert to the actual time and date?

We are attempting to better manage our fleet bank, but the activity there is also listed by stardate. In order to better determine when transactions took place, some method of conversion would be helpful.

If you can help or even point me in the right direction for the answer, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
The Vault Log, located on the News tab of the fleet window, has the option to switch between Stardate and Earth date, which is our actual time.

The in game stardate is computed by adding exactly 400 years to the current real date and time, and then applying the TNG/DS9/VOY date conversion described here:

http://trekguide.com/Stardates.htm#TNGcalculator

The algorithm is not defined exactly, so we may not get exactly the same results as the calculator on that page.
--
Lead Programmer: Neverwinter
Closed Thread