Lt. Commander
# 1 What The Heck...
03-22-2010, 03:56 AM
...Am I doing right?

I didn't want to clutter the Tech Support forums, didn't feel like posting in General or the Academy, and figure people here are just as good of a source for info as anywhere else, I thought I'd just put it here.

My issue is my system and my ability to play STO. I can play fairly decently (get some slowdown in some systems, but nothing absolutely unplayable) and don't generally have any problems with crashing. And, at a graphics setting just one notch above minimum, I can get screenshots like this:

http://knight776.deviantart.com/art/...4747-153552123

Why am I confused? Because these are my system specs:

Pentium 4 HT (Prescott core) 2.8 GHz
2 GB RAM
nVidia 7600 GS with 512 MB
SB Audigy sound card (no bloody 2, 4 or x...)
Windows XP Pro SP3

And I've looked around on the other forums here and see people with considerably hotter systems than I have having a lot of issues with the game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-22-2010, 04:34 AM
Well I have figured out why some cards are overheating. Thus causing slowdowns and lag. Nvidia cards running 196.xx drivers are overheating, going to 195.62 fixes the heating issues.

Another issue is, some people don't have the correct power supply to use their cards to the fullest, or they lack enough RAM.

Some people would say the 7600 gs is a very outdated card, but as a person who has worked on computers all his life, I can tell you that the 7600 GS was one of the best Nvidia cards ever in my opinion.

I would love to know what Power Supply Unit you are using. Also snap a screenshot of your video settings ingame.

It seems you just have a perfect combination of parts that are giving you great success.

Building a proper gaming computer is all about balance, not the most "Power" as some more inexperianced people will tell you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams
Well I have figured out why some cards are overheating. Thus causing slowdowns and lag. Nvidia cards running 196.xx drivers are overheating, going to 195.62 fixes the heating issues.

Another issue is, some people don't have the correct power supply to use their cards to the fullest, or they lack enough RAM.

Some people would say the 7600 gs is a very outdated card, but as a person who has worked on computers all his life, I can tell you that the 7600 GS was one of the best Nvidia cards ever in my opinion.

I would love to know what Power Supply Unit you are using. Also snap a screenshot of your video settings ingame.

It seems you just have a perfect combination of parts that are giving you great success.

Building a proper gaming computer is all about balance, not the most "Power" as some more inexperianced people will tell you.
Totally unrelated, but I adore your username... Remo Williams, FTW!
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams

The PS is a 450 or 500W....had to replace it a while back and just can't recall what I got. As for my video settings, no need for an ingame screenshot. Just open the video settings, and without clicking the advanced button, my quality slider is one position to the right of the lowest. (Low?). If I go to Recommended, my FPS will drop quite a bit but can still move around, though it seems sluggish, and I can't zone into Sol System.

I may have mentioned this briefly, but moving around stations and in sector space are fine, but there are some system instances where my FPS goes way down. It's not constant, but when that happens in an instance, about 75% of the time, it's going to involve a ground mission, and when I hit the ground (open or base) the FPS goes back to *normal*
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Pour water on it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-22-2010, 01:38 PM
take 2 slices of chocolate cake and call me in the afternoon. (I hate mornings)
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
take 2 slices of chocolate cake and call me in the afternoon. (I hate mornings)
A prescription for Chocolate Cake and afternoon calls is my kind of 'scrip.