Lt. Commander
# 1 Console Effect Stacking?
03-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I have been trying to determine if console effects stack. For example:

1. If i get one console with a +10 to plasma weapons, and another with a +10 to beam weapons will my plasma beams receive a +20? Or are you limited to one one effect pre-type?

2. If i get three consoles with a +10 to plasma weapons, will my plasma weapons get a +30? Or will they only receive a +10 because the effects don't stack?

Any help is much appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Interesting question. I honestly have no idea but I have heard something about there being some sort of penalty for it. This may not be completely true however.

Any knowing reply would be awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2010, 06:12 PM
I have also only "heard" there is a penalty. The information random players have told me was that only 2 similar type consoles stack, and after that there are penalties. I also don't know if it is true. I don't see why there would be any penalty, bc when you increase one aspect by using those spaces, you lose opportunities for other things your ship might need.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Given the limited amount to which anything is actually stackable, there really isn't a need for any sort of penalty. Things stack additively, so it doesn't run off exponentially. The only seeming exception is resists, and if you look at them as extending effective health against a given type of damage, they stack linearly (additively) too.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-12-2010, 10:22 PM
What I seem to recall, not ingame atm, is that if you stack two of the same consoles that the second losses about 30% effectiveness but does stack. So, if you have two +10's that you end up with a bonus of +17. Not sure that is the exact percentage or if it is consistent between console types.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I made tests with T5 resistance consoles and found this:

The second console had a stacking penalty of 30 %
The third console had a stacking penalty of 50 %

Result: Three consoles are working together like 2.2 consoles (1 + 0.7 + 0.5 )

I don't know if this results can be used for all consoles but I think so.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasticgeek View Post
I have been trying to determine if console effects stack. For example:

1. If i get one console with a +10 to plasma weapons, and another with a +10 to beam weapons will my plasma beams receive a +20? Or are you limited to one one effect pre-type?

2. If i get three consoles with a +10 to plasma weapons, will my plasma weapons get a +30? Or will they only receive a +10 because the effects don't stack?

Any help is much appreciated.
Everything that I've looked at stacks.

So the answer to question 1 is 20, and the answer to question 2 is 30.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druuna
I made tests with T5 resistance consoles and found this:

The second console had a stacking penalty of 30 %
The third console had a stacking penalty of 50 %

Result: Three consoles are working together like 2.2 consoles (1 + 0.7 + 0.5 )

I don't know if this results can be used for all consoles but I think so.
Resistances use a 1 - (1 / (1 + Bonus)) formula to convert the total resistance bonus into the actual resistance percentage you receive.

Although this looks like diminishing returns, it's actually not - the formula just converts an exponential return into a linear return.

The confusion stems from the fact that the resistance bonus listed on resist items isn't the percentage resistance that the item gives, but the percentage increase in the amount of damage the item will let you take.

For example, a +20% Phaser resist console will increase the amount of phaser damage it takes to destroy your ship's hull by 20%. Stacking 5 of them will increase the amount of phaser damage it takes to destroy your hull by 100%.

Note that only resists seem to use this formula.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadB
Note that only resists seem to use this formula.
I made my calculations only with the numbers displayed in the ship stats.
Do other console types have the same stacking penalties?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-13-2010, 01:41 AM
it seems they stack to me,
also i wouldn't use resistance types as an example because resistance is calculated differently than other consoles, i will try and find the link where it was discussed.