Lt. Commander
# 11
03-13-2010, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMS View Post
Not only that, but EVERYONE has the ability to rescucitate.That means resurrect players who are down.Want to know how many times someone used it on me?Once.Stick around instead of respawning so quickly.That is if your team is competant enough to care.Better be prepared to move fast too once your up.Adapt or fall forever!LOL!

On a side noted being vapourized is hilarious!Extra crispy!
Yep, so you can be killed 2 sec later by a stray grenade and give an even free-er point to the enemy. Needs a slightly longer immune, or a bump up in % of health, or bleed-through immune. Whats that? Heal? LOL no one carries a healing kit in PvP everyone gets one shot'ed. Again back to my first argument. :p
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-13-2010, 07:09 AM
You know, I find ground PVP frustrating many times, but not for any of the reasons said in the OP. I find it is frustrating because of the sheer amounts of holds, especially from melee attacks. If those melee holds disappeared entirely, possibly replaced by short snares, I think it would be much more fun.

I have to say though, my squishy tactical officer is rarely killed by expose/exploits, and I rarely kill with expose/exploits too. It sucks when they happen because I'm stuck there doing nothing, but they aren't nearly as common as claimed. And even then I've lived through exploit attacks as a squishy tactical officer. I also get most of my kills via the old fashioned way, by burning through someone's HP, not expose/exploit.

Learning the maps is very important, and situational awareness is really much more important than anything else in PVP. They certainly were difficult to learn when I started out too, but after a while, it became second nature to figure out what level someone is on in ghost ship and deserted facility, and that awareness is very important. You have to be able to look at the map and figure out where the enemies are, where they are going, and how that could cause a problem for you and your team, and that's just something that takes time to learn.

And as for the trash talk, that is what the ignore feature is for. I've ignored plenty of idiots who do that stuff. Honestly its really pretty rare, but if its a problem, just put them on ignore. Those kinds of people aren't the ones I like to play with anyways, so its no loss to me.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker88 View Post
While this is true it still does little to help, even if its an even 5v5 in a hallway, someone will always have a exploit attack off CD ready to hit it the instant the bullseye pops up, and not only that but everyone can see that person is exposed so of course they all gonna hit that target, even by some miracle you survive actual exploit itself your more than likely gonna die from the barrage of the other 4ppl shooting at you.

One change I see is, It can keep the absurd amount of damage it does or even be a guaranteed kill, but have it so ONLY the person who caused the expose can see the "KILL ME" sign and/or exploit them. And/or lower the chance of exposes.

I wouldn't mind them but they occur FAR to often, something like this should be a bit more rare and not be 90% cause of death. One could even argue that because they occur so often it looses the "BOOM head shot" feeling, *yawn* we vaporized 32ppl last game.
I really like that everyone can see you are exposed, it's the reason Draw Fire works as a PvP taunt. My tactical officer very rarely gets vaporized, but as soon as I poke my head up I get hit by 3 or 4 knockdowns, which says to me that I just put an entire team's exploit attacks on cooldown. Which coincidentally means that no one on my team gets vaporized for the next 5 or 10 seconds.

My Engineer usually only dies by getting vaporized, but my shields are tough and regenerate quickly, so ordinary attacks don't do much at all and I even survive exploits.

If you're seeing a *lot* of exposes and Exploits, that means that the other team is hitting you with AOEs, which actually have a bit of balance built in. If I hit you with a plasma stun pistol, then you get both a hold and an expose all rolled into one. If I hit you with any of the AOE expose weapons, then there is no hold on the attack, and I have a longer cooldown on my expose attack. AOE exploits also have a much longer cooldown than the single target ones

There are a *lot* of ways to maximize your own use of expose/exploit while minimizing the other teams -- you can't vaporize my team-mate when you have a weapon malfunction. On my tactical officer I draw fire all the freaking time because that causes premature exploits, and if I see a team-mate in trouble I'll swap between my stun and knockdown pistols to try and keep the enemy CC'd. On my engineer I heal, buff, stun, and disarm. Other careers and kits have other ways to deal with it.

The big deal is that unless you got a buff up just before you were exposed, you usually can't protect yourself from exploits, you need team mates to do it for you.

The thing about respawning is a valid complaint. I'm in the habit of spamming some form of CC as I spawn just in case.

I do think that CC duration could use a nerf, especially for holds. CC should generally wear off before any associated expose does, so you can protect yourself.

I also have mixed feelings about the spammable melee exposes. On the one hand, what else are you going to do when you have a weapon malfunction? The expose isn't even likely to help unless you have a team-mate nearby in that case. But there are an awful lot of players who just sprint up and circle while spamming the 3 key until it procs an expose, which I'm pretty sure is not something Cryptic intended.

EDIT -- I wanted to add that the coolest thing about an Orion woman, is blowing your enemy a kiss before you vaporize him. That's worth the price of admission all by itself (on the rare times that it happens). I'm pretty sure there's something freudian in how much I enjoy that.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
The problem, I guess, is that the biggest ways to cut down expose deaths relies on smart teammates. That can be hard to come by...
Same problem with the Crystaline Entity and Infected.
The team doesn't even have to be 'good' by the standard definition. As long as they can coordinate, they dominate.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Expose/Exploit is a big problem because Ground PvP revolves around it.

It doesn't matter if it has counters because that just turns the entire Ground game into "Stack against a single mechanic or die instantly". All the strategy revolves around it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeport
Expose/Exploit is a big problem because Ground PvP revolves around it.

It doesn't matter if it has counters because that just turns the entire Ground game into "Stack against a single mechanic or die instantly". All the strategy revolves around it.
If there wasn't any expose/exploit then no-one would ever die. As a full medic based science officer i can easily outheal the damage five people can throw at me indefinitely.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-13-2010, 01:26 PM
I use to run with 2x exploit weapons, snipers/sniper or split beam/ split beam. Now I just run with a stun/hold pistol (expose), and split beam rifle (exploit). I still use the Tact Operative kit, ,to avoid being spawn killed and if outnumbered, I just run and gun.

A few matches in ground, I have been running into Fed teams, with one member having the trait to see invis/cloak players. That was exciting, because it made for a challenging match, not just to avoid the 5 Feds, but the 1 that can see "me" that was cool. unfortunately those teams still lost, because they ended up splitting or pairing up, only leaving their partners either to far ahead, or behind...which become ez kills. Or the team is focusing on the security NPCs, instead of trying to single me out.

"game on"
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-13-2010, 02:53 PM
If there's no expose ability, matches will go on for ever. Not fun either.

In all reality, I'm starting to like ground pvp after really hating it. The thing Cryptic could improve is the clunky handling of characters.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzident View Post
Then they should bump up regular damage. The expose/exploit system could be a fun mechanic but as it is right now it's just too easy to abuse.

If you think people who spam rifle butt until they get an expose are bad, wait until you face your first full bioresearcher science officer team. I've seen more and more of those these days and it's just pointless to fight back against five people with multiple AoE expose attacks and holds.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkameron View Post
If there wasn't any expose/exploit then no-one would ever die. As a full medic based science officer i can easily outheal the damage five people can throw at me indefinitely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzident View Post

In all reality, I'm starting to like ground pvp after really hating it. The thing Cryptic could improve is the clunky handling of characters.
Right, so the mechanic is basically just a lazy fix to a broken system. Which is probably why everyone is calling out for a ground overhaul.