Lt. Commander
Yes, I'm adding to the "nerf cloak in pvp" threads (get over it, klingons)! I do think it's unbalanced and should at least have limitations if not a complete removal from battlegrounds and here's another reason why.

The last game I played, the group I was in must have waited about 10 mins for any ship at all to appear. Sure enough, the gang bang tactics quickly ensued and left us at a huge disadvantage right from the get-go.

As much as I'd like to see cloak removed entirely, I don't see that happening from Cryptic's end. But if there's anyone from Cryptic reading this at all, at least place a time limit on cloak so it can't be used indefinitely.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2010, 11:03 PM
So if the teams were uneven and the Klings were waiting for even teams, you are going to blame the KDF and not the poor PvP and queue mechanics?

The probelm is not the cloak...so why mess with it? You only feel it was too long because you presume that all "play dates" should commence quickly...its the false expectation of quick action that a queue system brings that has you frustrated. You find the cloak interrupts that expectation so you want it nerfed, instead of realizing where the problem really lies.

They need to have a purposful PvP, so that they can create PvP duel mechanics...then tactical/strategic players can have thoughtful engagements that are not staged...and duelist can have their quick, mind-knumbing, empty duels without impedeing on tactical/strategic play.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
So if the teams were uneven and the Klings were waiting for even teams, you are going to blame the KDF and not the poor PvP and queue mechanics?

The probelm is not the cloak...so why mess with it? You only feel it was too long because you presume that all "play dates" should commence quickly...its the false expectation of quick action that a queue system brings that has you frustrated. You find the cloak interrupts that expectation so you want it nerfed, instead of realizing where the problem really lies.

They need to have a purposful PvP, so that they can create PvP duel mechanics...then tactical/strategic players can have thoughtful engagements that are not staged...and duelist can have their quick, mind-knumbing, empty duels without impedeing on tactical/strategic play.
Well thing is federation ships have no possiblity to cloak, so in the case there will be more klingons than feds, the feds just cant hide for 10 minutes from klingon ships to make even battle and plan tactics. Klingon abilities are overpowering federation ones, be it cloak or having VoQuv carrier with army of repair drones, fighter ships and power syphons. I know, as I play both sides - and feds usually win only if they are in greater numbers than klingons.

Of course the queue system is bad and happened to me I was in one fight alone without teammates or enemies and no one showed up. This thing however doesnt change the fact that cloak gives huge advantage that isnt compensated on the other side.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorant View Post
Well thing is federation ships have no possiblity to cloak, so in the case there will be more klingons than feds, the feds just cant hide for 10 minutes from klingon ships to make even battle and plan tactics.
This is exactly right, but has nothing whatsoever to do with the cloaking ability, and everything to do with bad game design.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Not bothered by the Klingons abilty to cloak. They have always had the ability.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I love cloaked Klingons, they get cocky and over confident, then when i viral matrix them and do mean things to them they go "pop" and i chuckle.

Oh, and i love following a cloaked Klingon who thinks he's being sneaky just by following my last torpedo volley... yeah... they keep chasing... a big glowing "HE'S OVER HERE" signpost.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 12:15 PM
there a few minor issues with cloaking, it is supposed to be a mad power hog, not just a free invisability perk. there definately needs to be something similar to when a ship full impulses into a fight, time needs to be taken to return power to the right systems per the ships setup. Also cloaking and running while in combat needs to have a similar effect, shields drop or whatever as power is diverted to the cloak. The systen needs to remain as it is in canon; as it is now if the cloaks worked like it is the series would have been over before it started and the entire galexy would be speaking Klingon and or Romulan.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't so much mind the Klingon's ability to cloak - that's expected and very canon, so I don't think it should be messed with. The problem is that the second two or three Klingons decloak right behind me, before I can even target them and fire, my shields are down, and I'm toast.

PvP from the Federation side is not a whole lot of fun because it basically consists of sitting around until the Kilngons decide to ambush you and heaven help you if the Starfleet ships don't outnumber the Klingon ships by at least 3:2. Parity is one thing, but this is rediculous. It makes me not want to play PvP.

And I don't need all the idiots saying "you don't know how to play" or "you must not be using any of your powers" or "the equipment you are using must suck" - because none of those statements are true.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutherd View Post
And I don't need all the idiots saying "you don't know how to play" or "you must not be using any of your powers" or "the equipment you are using must suck" - because none of those statements are true.
RSP.

Though even without RSP 3 klingons can't kill me as long as they dont have subnucleonic or FP... Cloak is fine.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Klingon's definitely get over confident with their cloaking and try to come in solo to a group. Often as a science vessel i end up revealing them for an easy kill.