Lt. Commander
# 1 Where is the war?
03-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Unless you create a "correct" faction vs faction universe wide PvP system where "open" PvP takes place in Neutral Zones and war sectors, this game is going to die a slow non-PvP death for those players looking for that phase of game play.

There needs to be mass sieges on star bases, ground battles, etc. Where defeating the enemy effects your faction is some way, which could be ranking or diplomacy.

Waiting 30-45 minutes for one que to pop to do PvP is boring, restrictive, and lacks realism. This game needs a major battlezone effect that is PvP 24-7 with objectives, loot, team work, etc. There should be the goal of "invading" special zones which are held for "control". Battlefield objectives, mining outposts, etc.

If this is a time of war amongst the galaxy...where is the war?

PvE can work hand and hand with PvP to keep non-heavy PvP players happy.

With the rich history of Star Trek and a tweak to the system, this could be a grand game which truly would make it a good day to die!
Lt. Commander
# 2 Really?
03-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadmare
Unless you create a "correct" faction vs faction universe wide PvP system where "open" PvP takes place in Neutral Zones and war sectors, this game is going to die a slow non-PvP death for those players looking for that phase of game play.

There needs to be mass sieges on star bases, ground battles, etc. Where defeating the enemy effects your faction is some way, which could be ranking or diplomacy.

Waiting 30-45 minutes for one que to pop to do PvP is boring, restrictive, and lacks realism. This game needs a major battlezone effect that is PvP 24-7 with objectives, loot, team work, etc. There should be the goal of "invading" special zones which are held for "control". Battlefield objectives, mining outposts, etc.

If this is a time of war amongst the galaxy...where is the war?

PvE can work hand and hand with PvP to keep non-heavy PvP players happy.

With the rich history of Star Trek and a tweak to the system, this could be a grand game which truly would make it a good day to die!
The PvP zones are there.As are maps to use for objectives.However your idea of wait times isnt true.The most i waited for a game is 5-7 min at the MOST.I went up two ranks just PvPing with my klink.I did go into a room that had objectives to take but at the end there was no reward for playing so i went back to the main rooms.Isnt this what players have been yelling about for years?Now all players get rewarded for participating on PvP maps.Isnt that the point?It is to me.
Loot has no place in a PvP zone.But everything else youve listed is in this game.Anyways the war is there,you just need to look for it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Really, I do not think PvP in STO will ever be more than PvP in World of "War"craft.

Sorry, but this is a PvE first development. In a way, that is rather unfortunate.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with your post sir.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMS View Post
The PvP zones are there.As are maps to use for objectives.However your idea of wait times isnt true.The most i waited for a game is 5-7 min at the MOST.I went up two ranks just PvPing with my klink.I did go into a room that had objectives to take but at the end there was no reward for playing so i went back to the main rooms.Isnt this what players have been yelling about for years?Now all players get rewarded for participating on PvP maps.Isnt that the point?It is to me.
Loot has no place in a PvP zone.But everything else youve listed is in this game.Anyways the war is there,you just need to look for it.
Try the wait times for a fed at the high levels.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Problem is, PvP follows a boring formula. You get a team and fire everything at one target until it's dead. Boring! It would be far more fun if battles were more 1v1 *within* the scope of larger engagements. Maybe add a damage reduction when more than two people target the same ship to encourage better gameplay?
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-13-2010, 01:12 PM
yeh, its not so grand, and it doesn't really matter because theres no real reason to have open pvp, its not like you are controlling systems, Pvp is just pure amusement or emotional distressing for others...on the other hand it ez winnings for winners and losers.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMS View Post
Anyways the war is there,you just need to look for it.
In a time of war amongst the galaxy, you shouldn't have to "look" for or "wait" for warfare.

PvP players want to log in and see in zone chat: "Starbase 123 is under assault, an enemy task force has been spotted passing sector abc, lets go defend the Starbase, if the enemy over takes it, our sector influence drops in that zone."

Give PvP "meaning".

There should be quests on some planets where you have a chance of running into the enemy, just like Star Trek on TV.

Theres nothing wrong with this being a PvE designed game, but if your marketing a time of war, then give me war!

Imagine multi-stage sieges on Starbases where players are on the base and others are in space. Total universal team work and galaxy wide warfare. Its money in the bank if it was correctly in place!

I played enough MMO's to tell you, PvE goes hand an hand with PvP. A true MMORPG has to cover all the bases to have a strong future. "Restriction" is just the first step to boredom.

Engage!
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I would love something like this. And I'm not one of those people who only play MMOs for PVP or love "pwning" people, I love this idea because it would add so much flavor to the game and the war storyline. "Episodic" PVP is nice, but "serial" PVP would be even better. Getting to be part of huge battles with galaxy- and playerbase-wide repercussions would give the game a truly epic feel. This doesn't need to be mandatory for players, but I do think that non-PVPcentric players would join in on these battles if they were large in scope and very much connected to be ongoing storyline, and if the outcomes rewarded the entire winning faction in both PVP and PVE.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadmare
universe wide PvP
I lol'd.

10lols