Lt. Commander
# 21
03-14-2010, 07:18 PM
I liked Enterprise, but I really struggled to stay interested during season 1 and 2, and 3 wasn't much better either. Season 4 was pretty awesome though.

And what's with all the Voyager hate in this thread? Voyager was great o_o
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-14-2010, 07:23 PM
The temporal cold war was the main problem with Enterprise. Other than that, I really liked the series. Especiall Mirror T'Pol and prime universe Hoshi.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
I don't think Enterprise was bad, but it wasn't as good as the other series, except maybe Voyager at times.
See I haven't had one problem with Voyager yet. I find it a good series.

Enterprise....was just........*Pukes*
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
The temporal cold war was the main problem with Enterprise. Other than that, I really liked the series. Especiall Mirror T'Pol and prime universe Hoshi.
QFT.

Time travel is used far too often in Trek. Basing most of your show on it - not a good sign. I liked Enterprise, but I liked it in spite of the temporal cold war hogwash.

And T'Pol ftw.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Just finished watching dvds of season 4. I liked it alot Nice group of people-not so sprawling as Next Generation. Liked Voyager for the same reason.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-15-2010, 12:08 AM
I liked seasons 1 and 2.

3 was fine...but the writers seem to have been distracted occasionally.

Xindi xindi xi...something over there...xindi xin...ooh..shiny...xindi xindi... I suppose it's ok to break up the monotony, but a full season arc would have been fantastical.

Season 4 was...ok. It felt like we were stumbling through 2-4 part episodes, t hough.

As a whole I liked it a lot, t hough. It was really interesting how they tied some previous references from TNG in to sort of bridge the gap and I liked Scott Bakula as Jonathan Archer. Jolene Blalock definitely didn't hurt the series at all.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-15-2010, 12:37 AM
I hated Enterprise as a series, even though I liked so much of the individual parts and many episodes. I liked the cast, the acting and directing. There were excellent production values. T'Pol was beautiful and very well played by Jolene Blalock. I also really liked John Billingsley's Dr. Phlox. But the story lines for me were all over place, ranging from good through silly all the way to disgusting. And no, I wasn't at all disgusted by too much skin by T'Pol.

My memory may be a little off on some things so someone can correct me as needed. It didn't start well for me when Archer was infuriated at the Vulcans because his father had wanted to pilot a star ship and the Vulcans had refused to give any to Earth. (What a surprise, an advanced race reluctant to give advanced technology to a race that has endless wars, murders, serial killers, etc.). Then on mankind's first interstellar planetary landing, Archer takes his dog. It just seemed too over the top to try for cute (I don't even remember Archer carrying a pooper-scooper with him). There were several things along these lines that bothered me.

But for me the unforgivable episode was 'Dear Doctor'. Apparently meant to help explain the origins of the Prime Directive, imo they basically committed passive genocide (by refusing to give a race a cure that the Enterprise had available) because the Enterprise didn't approve of the social relationship that race maintained with another race. This implied the Prime Directive was a 'will of god' type of instrument that justified letting one race die in the hopes it would allow (and force) another race to become more independent. The Prime Directive that I had always known was a 'do no harm' policy that was born out of the belief that many primitive societies were destroyed and never allowed to develop their own civilizations when the morals and values of more advanced societies were forced on them. It had been a way to protect less advanced civilizations, not to decide which races should live or die under the guise of natural selection. If Enterprise had used the cure to negotiate changes in the two societies I wouldn't have had a problem, but to allow an entire race to die because we didn't approve of their social structure was incredible. The Prime Directive as an instrument of death? This episode really got to me. If I'd had children at the time they would have been forbidden to watch the series after that.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-15-2010, 02:16 AM
Quote:
The problem with Enterprise is that it shouldn't have been Star Trek
When the Star Trek title was originally dropped and the theme music completley radicalised - I think that's where it was heading, but of course, it didn't stay that way :p

For the most part, I like Enterprise. An impulsive group of Humans taking their first giant leap into the unknown. I Agree, it probably could have been looked down on better if it didn't get classed as "Star Trek" because when compared to the other series - it just looks completely different.

To be honest, I like each Star Trek installment - series & movie. They just all have their pros and cons, but that doesn't make it less entertaining on my part. For example, I think Voyager shouldn't have hit the reset button every 1-2 episodes - but it was still the first Star Trek series I watched in full and loved it.

All in all, I more or less stand here:

Quote:
I don't think Enterprise was bad, but it wasn't as good as the other series
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-15-2010, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
The last episode aired....never existed. At least that's how I want to look at it.
There was a book that came out not to long after that episode aired that basicly said it was mostly a lie. Trip was saved by Section 31 to be used as an undercover agent with the begining or the Romulan War on the Horizon, so historical facts were......altered to cover up his recruitment into Section 31. It actually explained all the faults with the last episode rather well. While not canon, I'll take it.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-15-2010, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEnigma
Same here. Best trek since TOS. Okay, since TAS. ;^)