Lt. Commander
# 21
03-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Any other options if I don't have access to a second computer?

It shouldn't be my router since the patch wouldn't work even when plugged straight into the wall.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-13-2010, 06:46 PM
My computer has remote desktop and remote assistance software if that would make your life easier to figure out what is going on.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall86 View Post
I emailed you the result
OK great, that shows that the Telnet client is OK and you get a data packet response from Cryptic.

Quote:
35 4.225000 192.168.0.100 53801 208.95.184.25 7255 TCP 53801 > 7255 [PSH, ACK] Seq=3 Ack=1 Win=17520 Len=2 56
Quote:
36 4.286137 208.95.184.25 7255 192.168.0.100 53801 TCP 7255 > 53801 [PSH, ACK] Seq=1 Ack=5 Win=65531 Len=34 88
You don't get this PSH, ACK response from 208.95.184.25 when you are using the STO launcher.

Do you see what I mean in the packet capture?

Here is where I'd go with this. I think something on your local PC may be blocking the star trek online.exe program but is allowing telnet.exe.

Do you have any third party security applications like firewall, antispyware, antivirus, or application firewall on that PC? If you do you might have to not only disable them for testing but end process them in task manager.

If you only have the Microsoft Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender double check that star trek online.exe is allowed as an application.

Also setup an inbound and outbound rule on your Microsoft firewall to allow TCP 7255 (any program).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ndows-Firewall
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Quote:
My computer has remote desktop and remote assistance software if that would make your life easier to figure out what is going on.
If you want to setup an invitation and email it to me I'll take a look.

Update: I think you'll need to setup your PC outside your router so you get a public IP for the remote assistance invitation to work. Make sure you have Windows firewall turned on when you are hooked up directly to the internet.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-13-2010, 07:08 PM
I use security essentials, as well as windows firewall, I disabled both and the problem persists. I also opened the port and again no joy. As far as I know there shouldn't be any other firewall programs on my computer.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Any other options if I don't have access to a second computer?

It shouldn't be my router since the patch wouldn't work even when plugged straight into the wall.
Another option to try to confirm which ports are being blocked is www.firebind.com. It's a web-based tool that can test any TCP port or range of TCP ports to figure out which are blocked and how (in the outbound direction.) It will tell you if that port can reach the Internet with no problem, or whether it's being blocked with a TCP Reset, or a TCP Timeout. It's a much simpler option than the old standby "telnet" trick.

It won't tell you exactly where the block is happening, but it's a great tool to do quick and reliable tests as you experiment with changing config settings on your pc, router, etc.

You can also simply click on this link below and it will immediately test the 6 required ports.

www.firebind.com/80,443,7003,7202,7255,7499
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtocolGeek View Post
Another option to try to confirm which ports are being blocked is www.firebind.com. It's a web-based tool that can test any TCP port or range of TCP ports to figure out which are blocked and how (in the outbound direction.) It will tell you if that port can reach the Internet with no problem, or whether it's being blocked with a TCP Reset, or a TCP Timeout. It's a much simpler option than the old standby "telnet" trick.
That's a nice tool to use along with others.

http://www.firebind.com/faq.php?faq=...whatisfirebind

Quote:
There are other instances where a port will fail Firebind testing but it isn't directly do to a TCP TIMEOUT or TCP RESET. In some cases your Internet provider (whether it be your home ISP or a WiFi hotspot) will be running a proxy server for certain ports. One of the most common examples is an SMTP Proxy on TCP Port 25. Many broadband providers will only allow SMTP traffic on that port, so if the message format isn't SMTP, the Firebind test will fail. The Firebind team is considering protocol specific tests in the future, but for now, a Firebind failure on certain ports like TCP Port 25 doesn't always mean that port won't pass traffic - it could just mean it will only pass specific types of traffic, such as SMTP.